new to the site and shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Schocke Farms

Reaction score
My dad just retired from his job but is still cash cropping approximately 1200-1300 acres. To fill the winter months we've decided to raise registered shorthorns. We currently have 8 heffer's with 1 about to drop a calf. We are hoping to be at 50-60 head in 4-5 years.

Looking forward to gaining and sharing knowledge with this online community.

Many thanks,

Todd and Jordan

SCHOCKE FARMS- Laingsburg, MI

Well we really don't have a specific direction lol. We want good genetics, and to have a good solid group of animals to start. Were not looking to get rich, more so something to stay busy with. Down the road we'd perhaps like to sell some club calves for local fairs and what not. Were not too keen on the idea of raising large quantities of feeder steers either. We have talked about maybe showing a few ourselves but its been over 10 years since I showed in 4-H.

So as it stands right now were strictly breeding for ourselves and to build our herd.

I'm looking for more heffers currently if you no of any good solid, healthy and registered from good family lines. I only ended up getting 1 at the Michigan state beef expo and would like a few more that are ready to breed in the next month or so.

-jordan

good luck with your shorthorns.i has quite a few but sold most of them because they would let anyone nurse them,i even had a couple cows that would nurse.they did breed back real quick though.

Neighbor down the road raises them,does real good with the show crowd. Gets hammered pretty bad at the salebarn due to wild colors. Buyers think longhorn in the woodpile here.

You can go to the american shorthorn association web site, they have listings for your state with breeders. Also revival sale in mi is good but pretty pricy. Good luck!

Bylander, Hales rosemary, levendale prince, master plan, poppy. just a few family's to list

Thanks for the compliments guys :)

Going to pick up another shorthorn heiffer when I get outa work this morning, almost a year old and came from the same sire/dispersal sale as most of my dads did. $800 don't seem tooo shabby!

Correction...$650... she really wasn't joking when she sed she dint have room for it once her cow comes next week and really needed to get rid of it...

Schocke Farms":17fk0z3c said:
Correction...$650... she really wasn't joking when she sed she dint have room for it once her cow comes next week and really needed to get rid of it...

You need to go to confession!

All I sed is it might be too small to put in with our others... shes like well what's it worth? 650$ to ya? It was.... Haha

She was gonna cross it to a Maine so I'm pretty happy we were able to get it bought to insure some more pure, registered shorthorns running around as opposed to some mutts.

Schocke Farms":upgcaoz9 said:
She was gonna cross it to a Maine so I'm pretty happy we were able to get it bought to insure some more pure, registered shorthorns running around as opposed to some mutts.

You might want to find out what the asterick before your calves' registration numbers stands for....