New To The Cattle Business

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks":2frgan3k said:
:welcome:

I've only been at the cow thing a few years. You will find a lot of helpful people on here (and a few cranky misanthropes, but oh well). ;-)

One of the best things I did was to read Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle, and The Cattle Health Handbook, both by Heather Smith Thomas (a lifelong cattlewoman).

Take it slow while you learn the ropes. Have good fences; a viable way to catch and treat your cows; and a good relationship with your large animal vet. Buy cows that will work well in your environment, and don't put up with bad temperaments. (As near-newbies, that is our #1 rule).

I would add The Essential Guide to Calving, also by Heather Smith Thomas.

coalcreekfarms10":oo3kl1uu said:
I thought about getting into some Herefords but I know they don't sell like black angus does at market. I really like both breeds but I just picked angus. What exactly do you mean when you say disposition? Are you talking about the looks and features as far as muscular and things like that?

There's no reason why you can't buy a Hereford bull to put with your Angus. I don't know about other parts of the country, but baldies outsell straight black calves here. And the heifers out of that cross would bring a premium if the quality is there.

ricebeltrancher":2fzsgsww said:
coalcreekfarms10":2fzsgsww said:
I thought about getting into some Herefords but I know they don't sell like black angus does at market. I really like both breeds but I just picked angus. What exactly do you mean when you say disposition? Are you talking about the looks and features as far as muscular and things like that?

There's no reason why you can't buy a Hereford bull to put with your Angus. I don't know about other parts of the country, but baldies outsell straight black calves here. And the heifers out of that cross would bring a premium if the quality is there.

I have given it some thought but not sure what I'm going to be doing in the near future. Seems like around here everybody wants nothing but all black and nothing but black. At the local markets black sells just a little big higher but not much. I like the baldies but not many people in my area do.