new to the board from waller texas

Help Support CattleToday:

dkt99

Reaction score
Hello all. Just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I will just get right to it. I have a 10 acre pasture that I want to put a few head on. The problum is that I do not have a corral or shoot. I wanted to buy a few calfs fatten them up and sell them and start over. Would this be possible to do without good facilities.

I forgot to ask how do I edit my info so that my location comes up after a post like some of yours do?

:welcome: you can go to your user control.then go to edit my profile.id suggest that you buy 10 or 15 corral panels.an make you a portable working pen.because you really need it.

Welcome to the board from an old Hempstead boy. I would say that you need a way to confine your calves to a small area (a pen or corral of some sort), and someway to work and/or load them (a chute). You may also want a way to restrain them for shots, worming, tagging, branding, doctoring etc. The easiest way to do this is with a head gate attached to the end of your chute. If you have neighbors who are small scale ranchers I would suggest that you make contact with them and look at their handling facilites. A local mentor can be a great help.

dkt99":3ux1lgb8 said:
Hello all. Just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I will just get right to it. I have a 10 acre pasture that I want to put a few head on. The problum is that I do not have a corral or shoot. I wanted to buy a few calfs fatten them up and sell them and start over. Would this be possible to do without good facilities.
if your gonna buys calves your gonna need some thing to work em in a few corral panels and maybe a cheap headcatch ""a couple dead calves would have paid for that,,, what ever you do dont turn fresh calves out with out a vaccination plan and quarantine new ones

What condition is the pasture in, what type of grass, also good fences are needed, when you turn a stocker loose it will walk the fences till it finds a weak spot and make a hole then its gone. The ideal situation is to have a holding pen to keep them in for about two weeks before turning loose.

novatech":14j95x3q said:
Halter break them and teach them to load.

i thought abought puting up a few corral panelss and keeping there mineral block in there and every now and then some grain. This way I can get them used to going in there, when I want to load them just back me trailer up. Do you think this would work? I also talked to a neigbor and I can use his chute for awhile since i let his cows on my place last year.

I'm relatively new to owning my own cattle on my own place, so I do a lot of head scratching and slow working on my little herd.
Sure is nice having them hemmed up and stable while I'm figuring out what I'm doing.
I highly recommend it.
Wasn't cheap or easy, but it sure is worth it.

dkt99":lh0m250b said:
novatech":lh0m250b said:

i thought abought puting up a few corral panelss and keeping there mineral block in there and every now and then some grain. This way I can get them used to going in there, when I want to load them just back me trailer up. Do you think this would work? I also talked to a neigbor and I can use his chute for awhile since i let his cows on my place last year.

That sounds like a good strategy, to get them used to going in the pen and calm about it. If they are calm enough you could probably do your pour on wormer that way. But there will still be times you need good restraint for one at a time for vaccinations, doctoring, preg check, etc. A used squeeze chute, a home-made chute with head catch, something. And if you just have the panels sitting on the ground, no posts, you'll likely find you have a "smart" one that knows to put her head under the bottom bar and lift up.......

dkt99":2jr4aiqn said:
Hi. My name is Patrick. I'm over in Austin. What kind of cows are you getting? How are things in Waller?

MO_cows":3kw9oiys said:
dkt99":3kw9oiys said:
novatech":3kw9oiys said:

That sounds like a good strategy, to get them used to going in the pen and calm about it. If they are calm enough you could probably do your pour on wormer that way. But there will still be times you need good restraint for one at a time for vaccinations, doctoring, preg check, etc. A used squeeze chute, a home-made chute with head catch, something. And if you just have the panels sitting on the ground, no posts, you'll likely find you have a "smart" one that knows to put her head under the bottom bar and lift up.......

If you go the "corral panel" route, I advise you to put a few "T" posts in and tie the panels to them. This is especially important in the area that you are going to load from.

MO_cows":1x622fbc said:
dkt99":1x622fbc said:
novatech":1x622fbc said:

I agree. If you have a trailer I would go ahead and back it up to were you would load them. Put the feed tub at the door, just inside. You can slowly move it forward. Eventually they will load all by themselves. ( By putting a gate temporarily down the center of the trailer it can be used as an impromptu working chute.) Keep in mind all advice is dependant of the genetic nature of the calves. I have had freshly weaned calves tear down cattle panel pens.
I also agree with the others on what you should have, or what you shave done first. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way, or we cannot afford it, or put the cart before the horse. At this point what you should have learned by the posts is to plan ahead.
Good Luck

Latest posts