New (to me) Timed AI Protocol

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Previously my AI Tech has used CIDRs protocol to prepare our cows for AI. This time he used something he called "Super Sync" on day 0. This is some type of combo shot that is time-released. The rest of the protocol was same as usual, Lute on Day 7, Estrodal on Day 8, AI on Day 9.

We only set up 3, but all three were pretty hot so it looks like it did a great job. Does anyone else use this time-release shot? It sure beats messing w/ those CIDRs!

I used it last year on three late calvers, 0/3 pretty much decided for me never to use this method again. I did not see any strong heats in the three last year, but all three settled 3 weeks later to the clean up bull and calved within 4 days of each other so they were sort of synched.

KNERSIE":popjvjq5 said:
I used it last year on three late calvers, 0/3 pretty much decided for me never to use this method again. I did not see any strong heats in the three last year, but all three settled 3 weeks later to the clean up bull and calved within 4 days of each other so they were sort of synched.
To me the only advantage to any of the synch protocls is that most of them will be close together on their next normal (not induced) heat.

More information on this "Super Sync" please......

I called my vet and he had not heard of it and was going to check with the Vet School at Va Tech.

Have sent an e-mail to the marketing guy at my AI stud but he probably has not had time to read it yet.

I trolled around the net and checked quite a few AI stud web sites and found no information.

Cost compared to CIDRS?

I am breeding a group on time Sunday morning just using the old Ov Sync. these were seven head that did not respond with good heats to the previous synchrony.

first time around I used GNRH and seven days later Lutalyse and bred on heat.

Have had pretty good luck in past years resyncing these non responders with Ov sync and breeding on time.

I agree w/ you Knersie, if we go 0 for 3, I'll be for bringing the CIDRs back!! However, outwardly they all showed strong signs of heat early morning. I checked them about 7 hours prior to breeding and they looked like they were all 3 together and looked exhausted! They were still riding each other at that time and looked like they had been all night... Given this, I'm not sure even if they don't catch if you could really blame the protocol - because they ALL were in heat...

As far as cost, I'm not sure. I think the shot may cost slightly more than the combo shot that is given on day 0. I do know it was cheaper with the added benefit of no CIDR w/ possibility of infections, reactions, etc.

If I remember correctly the cost was very similar to using CIDRs, the problem was that I only had 3 to do and can only buy CIDRs in packs of 10.

Arkieman":7gsmiz2f said:
As far as cost, I'm not sure. I think the shot may cost slightly more than the combo shot that is given on day 0. I do know it was cheaper with the added benefit of no CIDR w/ possibility of infections, reactions, etc.

I don't like CIDRS for those same reasons and buying ten packs etc.

what I need is what are the shots and timing ?

OR

some contact info about this new protocol.?

pdfangus":1rk89dfn said:
Arkieman":1rk89dfn said:

I don't like CIDRS for those same reasons and buying ten packs etc.

what I need is what are the shots and timing ?

OR

some contact info about this new protocol.?

I'll check w/ him and get some info. I hate to hype it and then go 0 for 3, but again - they were in heat, so I guess it did its job..

Just because they are in standing heat does not mean they are producing a viable egg.
I think some of these drug protocals put the cow's system "on hold" and the egg gets "stale".
Kinda like a fertile chicken egg. If it sits too long prior to incubating, some times they are too old & won't "grow".
No proof - just my observations. Like Dun says, it'll group them up real good for the next cycle.

Arkieman":2gpq6enk said:
Previously my AI Tech has used CIDRs protocol to prepare our cows for AI. This time he used something he called "Super Sync" on day 0. This is some type of combo shot that is time-released. The rest of the protocol was same as usual, Lute on Day 7, Estrodal on Day 8, AI on Day 9.

We only set up 3, but all three were pretty hot so it looks like it did a great job. Does anyone else use this time-release shot? It sure beats messing w/ those CIDRs!
http://www.bovine-elite.com/PrintableProtocols.pdf

enough said

T

The guy that does our AI wanted to use it this year, we just have 3 to AI so we left it up to him, none of them took, all three were bull bred next cycle. It gets very frustrating!

I use CIDR's and have used some that were almost a year past expiration. Had the same results with them as the ones I just bought. My vet raises sheep and has used sheep CIDR's four or five years old and still worked. Some of the guys I know will wash the CIDR and use it again. If you only need a few talk to your semen rep and see if you can buy some from them or know someone to split a bag with. Good luck

Well, I forgot to update this post (until now!). AI Tech hit 2 of 3 on the timed AI and got the 3rd on her next natural cycle. He's been using it ever since on all his other customers and it's working as good or better than the Cdirs. We set up 4 cows and 2 heifers this past week. They all looked pretty hot, so we'll see how that goes...

He did say that it seemed the heifers were coming in a little quicker than the cows. We started the 2 heifers two days later than the cows. They both looked pretty hot.

He did say you had to have a script to get the drug.

I haven't seen anyone else mention estradiol on their synch programmes.

That was the part of the older cidr programme that caused a strong heat - 95 - 97% of cows synchronised that way are bred on visible heat, not timed.
About two years ago Europe placed a blanket ban on the use of estradiol on food-producing animals. New Zealand followed suit to avoid market quibbles... about three months ahead of the spring breeding season with no research done on alternatives.
The ovsynch/cidrsynch programmes are designed for timed AI and while the marketers claim only 10% of cows will show heat, about 50% of them do. PGF2a and GnRH just don't have the ability to cause the strong heats that estradiol had - and there's the added disadvantage that cows can't be safely resynchronised after mating as they can with CIDR + estradiol.
Conception rates were better on the old programme, but not by much -the vets say there's about 10% improvement on CR by adding the CIDR to the ovsynch programme which might make it about equal to the old CIDR regime

This protocol actually works best if you use a CIDR. Put it in with the Combo shot and remove with PGF2a shot.

Disadvantage:
1) Almost every animal will show a heat 12-36 hrs after the Estradiol shot. Problem is that it is induced by the estradiol and may not coincide with ovulation.
2) (And probably the most important)...Combo and Estradiol are banned for estrus synchronization in beef cattle in the US. This is off-label use and most vets will not provide the script.

Advantage:
It is the BEST protocol for timed AI, legal or not!!! Especially with Bos indicus influenced cattle (you may as well squirt GnRH on the ground with Bos indicus cattle).

Latest posts