New to horses

Help Support CattleToday:

RICHARDL

Reaction score
Hi, everyone, Been awhile since i've posted (all on the cattle stuff) Well I decided to get a couple horses, my nephew has been wanting one, he has no place to have one and ive been thinking about getting one for myself, Having been around horses but never owning one. I decided to buy one for me and one for him. Hes thrilled. I am to. Anyways. other than knowing he is a horse and eats grass. Thats about the extend of it. I did get a saddle, but now i need a blanket, and bridle & bit. I do think there are diff. bits that do different things and sizes, how do i get the right bit? and is the bridle, bit and reins all one unit or do i have buy them seperate? what about blankets i've seen somewhere that they used 2. a felt pad than the blanket, than saddle. they are very gentle horses i have been feeding them every afternoon and spending a few minutes with them. and advice will be well recieved, or a good place where i can get the info i need, I do know people that own horses and i've been talking with them. I own cattle so i'm use to the animals and they don't scare me. I just need a place to start before i go out start buying stuff i don't need.
Thanks all :cowboy:

oh wow.....

you need to get with someon you know who does know horses. someone you can trust.

there are fifty answers to every question you posed and they are all predicated on what you want to do with the horse.

definantly have a deep indepth discussion with a good horsey friend on all your questions..the bit alone..there are SO MANY different bits..

These questions are so broad, it is hard to touch on all points over a forum.

Congrats on your purchase. I prefer the thicker, higher priced saddle pads. If you get the thinner, cheaper ones, you would probably want to use 2. I currently ride a mule that is narrow in the front so I use a thick pad and a thin one so the saddle fits better. As far as the bit goes, try to find out what kind of bit the previous owner used. If it worked fine, then stay with that style. You can buy the headstall, bit, and reins already together in a package, however they are usually cheaper made bits, etc. I prefer to buy them seperate. That way I can get the kind of bit that I want. I also like to use reins that are about 7 feet long. That is just my personal preference.

Try not to spoil your horses. A lot of people who are new to horses try to treat them like pets. Always remember that they are large animals that are capable of seriously hurting you, though sometimes not intentionally. Since you are used to working with cattle you probably know all of that. Don't feed your horse out of your hands, that can lead to biting. Don't let your horse get away with stuff. If he tries to walk off while you want him to stand still, make him stop. If you let him get away with stuff, he will just get worse later on.

THANKS, thats excatly what i need to know. Yall steered me where i needed to go, And i don't treat them as pets, I treat them like horses, I don't belive in abusing my animal neither. I've done fairly well with my cattle asking questions here and there, always something to learn. LIke i said i just need a place to start, We will just be riding around the house, they are not for working cattle just riding till we get used to them and them to us. my nephew prolly has more experience with them than me. I asked the question about bits. Isn't there diff. bits that do diff. things? and how do i measure to get the right one to fit MY horse,? isnt there a way to measure it ? do i measure across his mouth and add a 1/2" or something? can't be that many answers can there be???

RICHARDL":3h37lf57 said:
THANKS, thats excatly what i need to know. Yall steered me where i needed to go, And i don't treat them as pets, I treat them like horses, I don't belive in abusing my animal neither. I've done fairly well with my cattle asking questions here and there, always something to learn. LIke i said i just need a place to start, We will just be riding around the house, they are not for working cattle just riding till we get used to them and them to us. my nephew prolly has more experience with them than me. I asked the question about bits. Isn't there diff. bits that do diff. things? and how do i measure to get the right one to fit MY horse,? isnt there a way to measure it ? do i measure across his mouth and add a 1/2" or something? can't be that many answers can there be???

I don't believe in abusing an animal either. I do, however, believe in correcting them when they are doing something wrong.

Check with some of the people that you know that have horses. They may have different kinds of bits that they would let you try out so you will know what kind to get. Just a basic curb bit should work fine; nothing too severe.

YES, I have to "correct the cattle often. Well not often but. Same with my dogs, Yea i've been talking to my folks, and most of the feed stores i deal with like to help also. I did forget to ask the lady i got the from what bits they used. I will call tonight. and i like the forums to, a great weath of info. I come from the place where there aren't many stupid questions, Just the one you don't ask. Thats how i learn. sometimes you have to jump in with both feet to.