New to Forum

Help Support CattleToday:

Camp-BellRetreat

Reaction score
Hello to all. I have been reading the site for the last four hours. Already have been educated on many of the questions that were going through my mind. We opperate a Ministry called Camp-Bell Christian Retreat here in Rockport. One of the things that we do is process deer and hog meat for needy families. We would like to raise maby 3 or 4 calves at a time for butchering. We are not looking to resale anything that we raise. I read on one of the threads that it is wise to steer clear of auction barns for many reasons. I am hoping that I could get some advice on what types of breeds would be good for our purpose. I did find some Jersey bull calves for about $120 per head. But that seemed a little high. A friend told me to check out the Alice stockbarn. But after reading some of the articles on here it made me a little nervous. I thank you for any and all advice.

Welcome, this is a good place to ask questions. Auctions are OK. Go with an old hand to advise.
Your on the right track, Jersey bull calves are a give away commodity. [depending on size]
Would take a 3-4 hundred weight to get that price.

If you are not familiar with the sale barn, you can get an expensive lesson. You can also get lucky.

Get an old cattleman to do your buying at the sale barn. One that knows the ins and outs and most of the cattlemen in that area. Then your problem is solved.

Camp-BellRetreat":1jtplw86 said:
Hello to all. I have been reading the site for the last four hours. Already have been educated on many of the questions that were going through my mind. We opperate a Ministry called Camp-Bell Christian Retreat here in Rockport. One of the things that we do is process deer and hog meat for needy families. We would like to raise maby 3 or 4 calves at a time for butchering. We are not looking to resale anything that we raise. I read on one of the threads that it is wise to steer clear of auction barns for many reasons. I am hoping that I could get some advice on what types of breeds would be good for our purpose. I did find some Jersey bull calves for about $120 per head. But that seemed a little high. A friend told me to check out the Alice stockbarn. But after reading some of the articles on here it made me a little nervous. I thank you for any and all advice.
Welcome to the forum.
Although Jersey is not bad to eat they are not very economical to feed out. Your area gets awful hot in the summer so unless the calf has some Brahman influence I would feed out in the fall through winter. The calves will feed out better during the cool months.
As someone else mentioned, find someone with experience to help you buy something wither from sale barn or some individual.
Generally speaking you can buy processed beef for about the same as what you can feed one for unless you are good at buying the feed at the right price. If you do your own processing you can save some bucks. Although there is some satisfaction in raising your own.

Jersey is actually the highest marbling breed.
As mentioned, it is not a whole lot cheaper to buy and raise a calf vs buying a finished one. And, there are no risks - no sick calves to treat (costly!) or DEAD calves (more costly!).
By the way, :welcome:

:welcome: Have you ever been to a sale barn before ? It is not that bad. I see you are planning on going on tuesday. Try to arrive 30-45 minutes before the auction starts. If you walk into the sell area I'm sure some ranchers will be setting in there. Just walk up to them and tell them who you are and what you are wanting to do. I know here the fellows are pretty helpful. I much rather deal with an older gent than the younger ones. The young ones are to cocky. The older ones will set and listen and they will help you.

Thanks, I am looking forward to going. I haven't been to a cattle auction since I was a kid. I do remember my dad telling me over and over, "Don't scratch your nose, Don't scratch your nose"!! He was afraid that the auctioneer would think that a 10 year old kid was bidding. :lol2:

The barns aren't that bad when you're looking for a steer, since most steers go through there. It's the older cows that you have to watch out for because there's usually a reason they left the farm. That's not always bad, but often they are reproductive culls. If you've got any dariy farms around, holstein bull calves may be an option. Also, if you're purchasing calves from the barn, stay away from the most popular stock(around here it's black). for your purposes, you can get a fine calf with an odd color pattern for less money than the black hided animals just because they aren't in as high of demand.

I've got a neighbor whose Angus heifer keeps coming into our yard. I told him that she would look pretty good on my table. ;-) He replied that she was a $7000 dollar cow. And I'm thinking that if I had a $7000 dollar cow that I would fix my fence. Just what are the laws about your neighbors animals coming into your property? She has been coming over here for the last 9 months. Also have another question. What is the processed weight of a say,,800lb calf? Thanks :cboy:

Rephrase the question and ask the neighbor what the processed weight of a $7,000 heifer might be . :banana: Might get a fence fixed. :nod:

TexasBred":3dyzidqa said:
Rephrase the question and ask the neighbor what the processed weight of a $7,000 heifer might be . :banana: Might get a fence fixed. :nod:

I like the way you think....... :lol2:

Camp-BellRetreat":22ejue5g said:
I've got a neighbor whose Angus heifer keeps coming into our yard. I told him that she would look pretty good on my table. ;-) He replied that she was a $7000 dollar cow. And I'm thinking that if I had a $7000 dollar cow that I would fix my fence. Just what are the laws about your neighbors animals coming into your property? She has been coming over here for the last 9 months. Also have another question. What is the processed weight of a say,,800lb calf? Thanks :cboy:

Did depends if you live in "open range". Open range means you have to "fence out" the cows if you don't want them on your property. "Close range" means the Ranchers have to "fence in" their cows.

Latest posts