New to FL, new to livestock

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffL916

Reaction score
Good morning. Website suggested an introductory post so here goes... I'm an early 40's married father of two living in Central FL. I'm a cop, my wife is a nurse practitioner. We're originally from the suburbs of northern California but moved to central FL in 2018. We moved pre-Covid but the wiring had been on the wall long before that. We knew CA wasn't a place to raise our kids anymore so we brought them across country, from a 6500 sq ft lot in the suburbs to a 5 acre spread in the country. Haven't had a millisecond of regret since we got here.

With no livestock or country-living experience, my wife and tip-toe'd into rural life. But we now have 2 American bulldogs, 2 cats, 20 chickens, and 3 cows. The plan is to raise 100% grass-fed cattle on a small scale for personal consumption and to share with another family or two. We've been cattle owners for all of 2 weeks now but so far so good. Trying to transition them from the grass/grain supplement the prior owner had them on to purely grass with some alfalfa pellets mixed in. Seems to be a good transition so far, they're staying fat and have plenty of bahia to munch on in our 3 acre pasture.

Aside from knowing how delicious a medium-rare ribeye is, I know very little about cattle and figured this would be a good way to do some research and get tips from folks who know what they're talking about. So Thank You in advance!

Welcome.
A lot can be learned here.
All of my family has farmed and ran cattle, I've been around it all my life and I learn something from here all the time.
I have know it all son's and a ranch hand, so when we have a disagreement I come here for opinions.

Latest posts