New to cows...

Help Support CattleToday:

Jessie

Reaction score
I just had to sell my two horses and my uncle has offered to give me a calf for my 16th birthday to show through 4-H and FFA. I don't know anything about showing cows and I can't seem to find any good information online. Can someone point me to the basics? When do you usually start training? When is the showing season? How old do they have to be to show?

Thanks!

Hi Jesse:
What a great opportunity you have been presented with. There is a lot of good information here so jump in and start reading. You can go to the show board, further down the page in the board index and you will get an idea of the ins and outs of showing. Talk to your schools FFA adviser as well and find a good 4H club in your area. Sorry you had to sell your horses but you can have some real good experiences with cattle too.
Welcome.

hi an welcome youve come to the right place to learn bout cattle an showing.theres a show board close to the botton of this page.go there an read all the posts.an also read all the posts on the board.youll learn alot an find alot of good info.

You'll want to start your calf as soon as you can.. the earlier the better. At weaning is good, about a month after birth would be better, but not a viable option unless you own the cow as well. Check with your county extension agent.. he can hook you up with your local 4H club. You don't say where you located, but there are good breeders in every state. Pick the breed you like and do your research. If you can find a "buddy" to help you or show with you, you'll enjoy the experience a lot more. Good luck!

Latest posts