New to cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Trying It

Reaction score
I want to get more into cattle when I retire in two years. I am cost sharing 200 + acres with a local farmer (who works my land) and thus have feed supplies. I recently fixed/newly fenced about 30 acres and I am thinking about buying 15 Red Angus heifers in May (southern Wisconsin). The deal I have discussed with a local operator is near going rates from the sale barnes at that time.

Since there will be no middle man, we will weight at his ranch, he will deliver 5 miles away, can I expect to be several cents under sale barn prices?
What size cattle should I look at? Over/under 500#s?
Some of the locals do not vacinate. What do I look for?
I have someone to look after the cattle for water, minerals, dusting. What might I pay? (I have shelter, automatic waterer, good fences) (I also expect to raise a herd with this person starting two years from now when I return to WI.)
I want to sell the cattle in the fall. Do I go for September, October or November? What is the better time?
What weight gain might I expect?

Looking forward to this new adventure.

i take it your going todo some pre conning.as for the price you pay for lb.check with the local sale barns.an see what 5wt calves are bringing.an then see how much the cattlemen wants for his calves.as for the shots talk to your vet.as see what shot he recommends.youll need to feed them 5lbs grain a hd a day.along with grazing.so they stay used to you an are easy to handle.as for gain they should gain 1.5 to 2.5lbs a day.depending on how good the grass is during the summer.talk to the sale barn about when the best time to sell feeder calves in your area.

Our sale barn has a web site where they post sale results, and they keep them for a couple years so you can go back and see prices for any time of the year. You might check and see if your sale barn has such a website.

All,

Great web site, and thanks for the advice.

Yes, I check Equity in Monroe every week or so. But they do not seem to have historical data on their site.

My problem is that I will stay in NC for a couple of years or so on a job. Spend about two weeks in May/June and two in November on my land. Have to rely on neighbors in WI. until I return permanently. Thinking about paying in hay.

Trying It":16854wj6 said:
All,

Great web site, and thanks for the advice.

Yes, I check Equity in Monroe every week or so. But they do not seem to have historical data on their site.

My problem is that I will stay in NC for a couple of years or so on a job. Spend about two weeks in May/June and two in November on my land. Have to rely on neighbors in WI. until I return permanently. Thinking about paying in hay.

Here's a link to a very good S WI sale barn which has historical data on their site for at least last year:

http://www.bloomingtonlivestock.com/index.cfm

Good luck.

Latest posts