New to cattle ranching. So excited!

Help Support CattleToday:

I can tell you I have never failed at anything I have set out to do.
That's too bad. Most of the really important lessons in life come through failure. I hope for your sake, failure finds you soon. The longer it takes to show up in life, the more painful it is when it gets there . . . . and it will one day arrive.

That's too bad. Most of the really important lessons in life come through failure. I hope for your sake, failure finds you soon. The longer it takes to show up in life, the more painful it is when it gets there . . . . and it will one day arrive.
so true.

Sometimes the little nuances in a post don't get communicated effectively. I could also say I have not failed at anything so far other than keeping my exwife happy after she inherited a fortune, but the reality is the little failures on the road to success have always been there…for me at least. I am just thankful God has kept me safe along the way and everything I have is due to His unmerited favor. Hope that last comment does not break the rules here.

Do you plan to use the cattle you raise in your reining cow horse business? If that is the case you might find a stocker operation better fitted to your needs than a cow/calf operation.
I'm doing both.
Geez, I've been on here a few days and already being judged. Please keep negative comments to yourself. I am here to learn not be scolded like some child. Of course I've had failures along the way but those helped me learn and push harder to never give up…which has always led me to a level of success in the end. My interpretation of my success is only for me to judge.

Welcome! Sounds like you are a horse expert. And you want some cattle to use for training horses. I think you would be a good resource for other horse owners on the forum, so hopefully we don't scare you away. I know a POA breeder. One of their ponies went to a trainer in Texas. Standing on the back of the pony, the trainer fired a gun and the pony didn't move. There is a video some where on the internet. In your words, what is the difference between a horse and a pony? Just wondering because some ponies can get big like a horse, and some horses can be small like a pony. Still they are called ponies and horses respectively. ...cattle - If you buy bred heifers, buy from someone you know and trust. Too often I hear about someone that bought bred heifers and the nightmares when it came to calving them. Post pictures when you get started. Many people on the forum like seeing pictures.

In the past.i have bought calves for a guy traiing reining horses. He is pretty.well known to sell and show. I normally bought him good 450 lb or so heifers and picked them up and sold them for him around 600-650lb. He told me that they became horse smart after a while and did not work as well. He fed them good and they made money plus the benefit of training the horses.

One of the benefits of a stocker operation on the coast is calves are always cheaper over there. When I lived over there I knew a couple of guys who bought lots of those cheap calves, ran them on the reliable grass, and then sold them to the Idaho feedlots. They did very well doing that. Freight cost at the present time might effect that operation but it might also make calves over there cheaper.

Geez, I've been on here a few days and already being judged. Please keep negative comments to yourself. I am here to learn not be scolded like some child. Of course I've had failures along the way but those helped me learn and push harder to never give up…which has always led me to a level of success in the end. My interpretation of my success is only for me to judge.
I have been here a lot of years. One of the things I have learned is there can at times be a fair amount of negativity. That can't be done, you have to do it this way, etc etc etc. You just have to ignore those comments. There is a lot of knowledge here. Learn who those people are and don't let the others get to you.

I have been here a lot of years. One of the things I have learned is there can at times be a fair amount of negativity. That can't be done, you have to do it this way, etc etc etc. You just have to ignore those comments. There is a lot of knowledge here. Learn who those people are and don't let the others get to you.
Oh yeah, I've seen the mob bring a few down. Like watching prey being stalked.

welcome. as I read through some of the previous post, I get the impression that you have the type of attitude it takes to thrive in your new adventure. also to thrive of this forum. good luck with both and looking forward to updates on how life is going.

I'm doing both.

There are a few on here that offer nothing but negative comments and smart-ass remarks. If you read enough of the posts, you will see they have no knowledge of cattle...never offer any real suggestions. And, there are a handful on here that are very knowledgeable cattlemen, and cattlewomen. You won't ever see them quipping snide remarks and negative comments. When they remark, it is positive suggestions and accurate information.

There are a few on here that offer nothing but negative comments and smart-ass remarks. If you read enough of the posts, you will see they have no knowledge of cattle...never offer any real suggestions. And, there are a handful on here that are very knowledgeable cattlemen, and cattlewomen. You won't ever see them quipping snide remarks and negative comments. When they remark, it is positive suggestions and accurate information.
Thanks, I was hoping this was a professional site with respectful folks. :)

Welcome! Sounds like you are a horse expert. And you want some cattle to use for training horses. I think you would be a good resource for other horse owners on the forum, so hopefully we don't scare you away. I know a POA breeder. One of their ponies went to a trainer in Texas. Standing on the back of the pony, the trainer fired a gun and the pony didn't move. There is a video some where on the internet. In your words, what is the difference between a horse and a pony? Just wondering because some ponies can get big like a horse, and some horses can be small like a pony. Still they are called ponies and horses respectively. ...cattle - If you buy bred heifers, buy from someone you know and trust. Too often I hear about someone that bought bred heifers and the nightmares when it came to calving them. Post pictures when you get started. Many people on the forum like seeing pictures.
Hi! Thanks for your note. There is actually a qualitative measure which separates "ponies" from "horses" in most circles. If the small horse is less than 14.2 hands high it is considered a pony. However, in slang terms many of us horse owners call our horses "ponies" as a term of endearment. Polo horses are called ponies and they are NOT short. It really depends on the area ones lives and the discipline in which they participate. I know some small cutting horses that technically would be ponies but we call them horses. I always find it funny when people call "mini" horses ponies. They are not. Also, people think young horses (foals, yearlings, etc.) are ponies. I often have to correct these people. I will definitely be depending on reputable, professionals in this business. I actually meet with some program directors tomorrow at Oregon State University, Animal & Rangeland Sciences program. Here's a picture of one of the pastures on the ranch I am purchasing. Enjoy!tempImagehtxMM3.jpg

In the past.i have bought calves for a guy traiing reining horses. He is pretty.well known to sell and show. I normally bought him good 450 lb or so heifers and picked them up and sold them for him around 600-650lb. He told me that they became horse smart after a while and did not work as well. He fed them good and they made money plus the benefit of training the horses.
Yes, that is one way to do it for those calves (most likely corrientes). They demand a standard price at that higher weight for the ropers and are easy to sell. This will be one facet of my income, along with the beef cattle.

There is a guy in Morristown that has built a big new barn with a big sign that says cattle and horse training. I don't know who he is, but that is a little unusual for this area.

Latest posts