New to cattle needs some help

Help Support CattleToday:

zendog

Reaction score
I am new to raising beef cattle. This year I raised two steers and sold them directly to consumers. I enjoyed this and may have made a little money. I want to do it again, but I want to raise small cattle because it is easier to sell smaller sides to consumers. (Thanks for the help on my Lowline Angus post.) My first thought was to get a local dairy farmer to AI some cows to Lowline Angus, but folks on the dairy forum convinced me that was a bad idea. I really did not want own and breed cows, but I have found it is impossible to find small steers reasonably priced. So I am ready to grow my own.

I have talked to a rancher who wants to sell three 8 year old ½ Lowline ½ full size Angus, each with ¾ Lowline bull calf at her side. He is asking $1,200 for each pair. What should I consider before I buy these and what is a fair purchase price?

I know I have the pasture and fence to handle them. I do not want to have a larger herd in the future, nor do I want to own a bull if not necessary. I am certain these cows are 8 years old and in sound health because the rancher selling them is a Hoosier but, you never can tell, he may have come from Texas, in which case, what would I look for to know these are sound cattle likely to be productive for a few more years? :)

The cows need to be bred in July and the current owner needs to move them off of his pasture now. I assume I need a vet to castrate the bull calves and AI the cows. What do I need to consider?

It is difficult for a hobby farmer like me without cattlemen buddies to talk to to even know what questions to ask or what things to look for, much less what to offer, so I really appreciate your insight.

$1,200 for the pair of that age may be a little high with the cows having that much age and being a little small, but with you shooting for a niche market and this being a good fit, probably not to far out of line.

You don't have to have a vet to cut and AI, heck I'm a banker and I can do it. BUT with having limited experience and knowledge I would sugjest that you do have a vet do it. That way when the wheels fall off, and they will at some point, you have a relationship established with the vet. You're going to get a lot better service. On the flip side if there are no good vets and there are some dairy people around then maybe you can hire them do your more basic work. Besides that I think that most good dairy farmers are better cow vets than 90% of the DVMs in practice, but they can't get some of the really good drugs as easily.

Don't be too proud to ask questions and for help. Talk to the feed dealer, vet, dairy farmers, other cattlemen, heck even pig, sheep and goat people, they all have something to offer in terms of knowledge and experience. Maybe join the local cattlemans ass. or similar org. Most everone will answer questions if asked by someone who wants to learn.

I can't help you as far as the price is concerned, but figure out the value of beef you can sell from an animal and this may be a starting point.

Castration is no big deal and you can certainly do it yourself. But you need somebody to guide you the first time to help you get started.

AI is a different deal. You need a technician to do this for you because of the trainng and experience required. If you are in dairy country I'm sure some of them can suggest someone. If not, always remember that your ag extension service will probably be able to advise you.

Your questions are honest and sincere and I wish I could help you more. Maybe some others can. If there is anything else as time goes on, ask away. Best of luck to you.

Given your lack of experience, I'd suggest you use an emasculator if you do the steering without a vet. It is a device that will cut yarn between paper and not break the paper, and it does the same thing to the tubes running into the bulls' equipment.

You could better band than use an emasculator. Jsut make sure there is 2 when you tighten or let the band on and take the bander off. You don't want a one nutter. Get a local mentorthat can help you and is not selfish and can be reached in a hurry. Make friends with the local vet if he is a good one. 1200 does seem a bit high but if you figure out your input and costs and figure you can get 2 more calves out of them for sure if they are in good shape. Its jsut a matter of penciling it all out like a budget to see if your input cost will be greater than you profit. I would see if you can talk him down some to maybe 1100 or 1000. Have someone along that knows what to look for and knows cows. Best of luck to you.

I built a little pen alongside my fence for the two Angus X simmental crosses I have now. it is 16" X 10" made out of cattle panels stapled to 4"X4" posts. I give the boys their corn in there. The idea was that, one day I am going to have to load the boys back into the 16 food stock trailer that brought them. That day is Monday, and that pen does not look nearly as substantial now that they are about 1200 lbs as it did a year ago. I am also a little less certain about getting into the pen with the boys and "scaring" them into getting into the stock trailer. Oh well. That's farming! Which brings me to the question: Do I need some equipment, shoots or something, to make these critters stand still while I work on them? I have goats which I dehorn and castrate, but cattle -- even the smaller Lowline Angus -- are a whole magnitude of trouble bigger.

From what I have learned on here if you need to work on them you need a way to restrain them. It has been suggested that if you don't have a headgate or a squeeze chute you should at least have a place where you can get them between a wall and a gate or panel where you can hold them. You attach one end to the wall and then swing it around to pin in the cow and tie it off ot keep it from coming out backwards. I'm only repeating what I think I have read so hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in and correct me if need be. HTH

I often back the trailer up to the gate, and feed 'em in the trailer if there are no more than a couple to be hauled. Start this a week or so ahead of time. Over at the lease, there is a corral and chute, but still it is easiest when they load themselves.

Yes, you do need a chute, and a way to funnel them into it. Headgates make life easier. I don't have a squeeze chute, but I'd like to have one. You'd be surprised what you can get by with when you have to, but modern equipment makes it much faster and easier. In times past with very gentle cattle (most of mine are) I have actually administered emergency shots with no restraint at all. I've given shots to a show heifer with nothing but a halter holding her. That doesn't mean that I recommend these methods.

Latest posts