New to calving

Help Support CattleToday:

laurab71

Reaction score
Good morning-
I am new to the cattle world. I have two miniatures for now. My heifer is pregnant and as far as can tell is due to calf any day. this morning when I went out to the barn, she got up and came over to get breakfast and I noticed that the calf was sticking out(about the size of a baseball) on her left side, so I looked at the right side and the baby was sticking out the about the size of a loaf of bread. I have never been able to see the baby on the rumen side before. Is this normal ? Is she getting close ? I am at work today, but I called the neighbor, I have great neighbors, when she went over to check on them she saw the same thing. This was about 3 hrs after I feed her this am.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

Well, 40 views and no responses ~ I will try.
Both heifers and miniatures come with a unique set of potential issues. Is kind of a hard knocks way to learn, but most lessons are learned the hard way! ;-)

Mom is up and eating, presents with no issues or discomfort. Calf is running out of room. I would not worry about that position. I think, for now, it is safe to assume your heifer is fine based on what you have said. Really.

Can only tell you to continue as you have been, pay attention and try not to get worked up yet. Watch her in labor close. Make sure that she is making progress. I hate to say this, (is so conflicting I think), but try not to over react and be too involved. You will make her nervous. On the other hand, if she is not making progress in labor ~ be ready to step in. Read up so you know when that point is. Lots of good info on these threads.

For now ~ I think all is well. Is good for you that you have such good neighbors!

Angie

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Heifer is doing just fine, still not in labor. I finally called the vet, and they usually help over the phone, but they only have one person in thier office that knows about cattle. In my part of Florida thier is only one vet for large animals. the Vet said that the baby was probably pushing on her rumen causing it to stick out and that it probably wasn't the baby I was feeling. I am trying to be patient but this is my first calf and I wasn't even sure she was bred until about month ago. This breed doesn't normally bred until between 2-3. and she haasn't turned 3 yet.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Laura

Not a problem.
Let us know.
Watch her and be ready to help if you need. Find someone who can help you if you need it. Maybe your neighbors know about cattle. Read the boards.

Best of Luck!

Latest posts