New To 4-H

Help Support CattleToday:

SIMONE

Reaction score
I ll sum it up . Where does she start.
Daughter took college money bought a Shorthorn steer to raise for 4-H.

I think he should do well. He isnt standing perfectly in the pictures and your daughter may want to use the rope halter a little higher away from his nose (if that makes any sense). He could be thicker in his lower 1/3, but so could a lot of steers. A couple months of pampering and he should be ready to go.

Talk to your 4-H advisor. Make sure you have the facilities or else utilize the 4-H facilities, (if they are available). We need more details. How old is the calf? Does your daughter know what to feed it? Has it been vaccinated? Where are you keeping it?

On the asking for help part :oops:

Talk to your 4-h leader for sure. If they are not sure ( alot of them aren't just cattlemen) then get in touch with other breeders... maybe the one you bought your steer from.

Little Cow":2jsq6jx3 said:
Talk to your 4-H advisor. Make sure you have the facilities or else utilize the 4-H facilities, (if they are available). We need more details. How old is the calf? Does your daughter know what to feed it? Has it been vaccinated? Where are you keeping it?

She does get to keep her shorthorn at school on the brand new ag farm built for the school ( absolutley wonderful).
Im not sure on the age .....Well we have been given some input on the grain to feed it .

Other wise I am looking for some input on everything.
Its hard for her to get individual help from her 4-h advisor since school is still in session and she took on alot . She has been recently told that she should put him on B-12 also we are looking for a vet to do this.
He was vacinated just before we got him .

CPL":32o59g4u said:
I think he should do well. He isnt standing perfectly in the pictures and your daughter may want to use the rope halter a little higher away from his nose (if that makes any sense). He could be thicker in his lower 1/3, but so could a lot of steers. A couple months of pampering and he should be ready to go.

She was told to get a picture for the fair ready but wasnt told there was a particular way they should stand.
Where can she find this info

SIMONE":3j1j578z said:
*Cowgirl*":3j1j578z said:
Check out the show board. :welcome:
Where is that ??

at the top of the screen there is an index button
left click on it
then scroll down the page

on the left side of the screen will be the different "boards" that are available
coffee shop -
health ...
breeds...
show...
dog/cat ...
everything else
etc...

some people don't read every board every day - just go to the ones that they are really interested in

Latest posts