new Texas law in the works

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
Our fine legislature is working on a bill to ban tanning beds for girls/kids 16 to 18. With 2 daughters I have to admit that this ranks at the very top of my worries. When my kids can drive how will I make sure they don't spend there time in a tanning bed. If only they passed a law... I would not have to worry. I just hope our government continues to protect us from ourselves with such important legislation like this. Theres nothing else going on they can address anyway.

Walt

Txwalt":3j3wh2yi said:
Our fine legislature is working on a bill to ban tanning beds for girls/kids 16 to 18. With 2 daughters I have to admit that this ranks at the very top of my worries. When my kids can drive how will I make sure they don't spend there time in a tanning bed. If only they passed a law... I would not have to worry. I just hope our government continues to protect us from ourselves with such important legislation like this. Theres nothing else going on they can address anyway.

Walt

Ditto. See tagline below...

Are these the same people who tried to legislate that people had to get their daughters vaccinated against cervical cancer? (Interesting that the Gov himself sits on the board of the pharmacutical that makes the vaccine, or did, I don't know if he still does or not).

Without reading the law, I do think that there needs to be some sort of regulation involved in letting young girls use the tanning beds, like maybe having a parent sign if they are under 18. I know you have to up to a certain age but I don't know the partuiculars of it.

Right in the middle of prom season, too. Interesting.

Think this through. Do you really want some our government regulating tanning beds? Do you want to give lobbyist that much power? Out of no where Texas will have a tanning bed lobby vs. the skin cancer lobby, giving free vacations to politicians to Hawaii.

Walt

Txwalt":1f4xej2n said:
Think this through. Do you really want some our government regulating tanning beds? Do you want to give lobbyist that much power? Out of no where Texas will have a tanning bed lobby vs. the skin cancer lobby, giving free vacations to politicians to Hawaii.

Walt

They are already regulated to my knowledge. When you go to tan you sign in the time and supposedly those records can be checked, I guess by some regulatory agency in the state, I don't know which one. You can only tan every 24 hours and if you try no one will let you. Not officially, anyway... And yes, I do tan, but during the summer. I let myself go back to my usual blinding whiteness the rest of the year. I don't do it every year, just some summers if we are taking a vacation.

Meaning I won't be doing it this summer. :(

They passed that tanning bill, but lowered the age to 16 1/2 years.

Lammie, that vaccination thing was not passed by the legislature. It was just a royal proclamation from our king, Prick Perry. The legislature did straighten that one out.

It is pretty amazing that they can see nothing more important than kids tanning going on around here. As far as I know, I don't think that they've accomplished anything of consequence at all so far. There's one bill in committee that would clarify and limit Perry's eminent domain power. They will probably pass it on the last day of the session, Perry will veto it, and that will be the end of it. Just like last session.

I wonder, do we elect idiots, or does getting elected turn ordinary people into idiots ?????

We elect them.
Rick Perry is just a little Napoleon in the making. I don't know whether or not I would rather see Kay Hutchenson in there, but he needs to go. I don't know that she'd be any better.

backhoeboogie":244b3alk said:
He beats Ann Richards all to pieces. But that aint saying much.

I liked Ann Richards. Aside from anything she did that pi$$ed you off, she was a champion of MHMR services here in Texas, something that we could really use now. I think she beat Mr. Perry all to heck. She was a classy lady. Don't speak ill of the dead.

Well, I hope it doesn't come down to the lesser of two evils. If it does (Perry vs. Hutchenson) it's going to force me into casting a stupid ballot. Both are consumate politicians, they lie, cheat, etc.

I would still like to know why there has been no action on iminent domain (sp)! Sorry lammie, didn't mean to steal your thread.

lavacarancher":39g592fy said:
Well, I hope it doesn't come down to the lesser of two evils. If it does (Perry vs. Hutchenson) it's going to force me into casting a stupid ballot. Both are consumate politicians, they lie, cheat, etc.

I would still like to know why there has been no action on iminent domain (sp)! Sorry lammie, didn't mean to steal your thread.

Ain't my thread. It's Walt's.

Lammie":y3lzk4r0 said:
lavacarancher":y3lzk4r0 said:

Ain't my thread. It's Walt's.

Oops! Sorry Walt.

Didn't we vote on a Constitutional Amendment outlawing or defining eminate domain a couple of elections ago?

jw":1i5d8042 said:
Didn't we vote on a Constitutional Amendment outlawing or defining eminate domain a couple of elections ago?

Seems as I remember it. I guess it will require some research. I'm sure it says that Mr. Perry can "eminate your domain" whenever he feels like it...

jw":3s0zp49b said:

No and I doubt we'll ever get rid of it. Hopefully they'll put a few more restrictions on gov't entities and pipelines etc as well as a few more rights to the surface owners.

Latest posts