New Tarentaise herd sire.

Help Support CattleToday:

Dylan Biggs

Reaction score
A 4 yr old Alpin son, weighing 1700 lbs that I got from Bryce Burnett, Swift Current Sk.

10476459_705560576159814_7488826079663040772_n.jpg

Uh, well, i have to say one thing................i want!............ Now that is what i call a bull.... :nod:

I do also 3way. Time will tell if he is deserving. He produced very good semen quality today based only on the vets initial evaluation of good concentration and excellent gross motility. The vet is going to do the complete cell evaluation and count this afternoon back at the clinic. We tested 25 bulls and this bulls gross motility was at the top.

Cowgirl8, I am glad to hear you call that a bull. :) I would be concerned otherwise, on a number of accounts. :)

cowgirl8":2a0earl4 said:
Uh, well, i have to say one thing................i want!............ Now that is what i call a bull.... :nod:
CG , what would you expect this bull to do for your breeding program.

Dylan , I like him also what breed of cows will he be covering.

Hum.....well, he'd have to be black first. Not sure, dont know how big he is and what he'll wean a calf out at. I like how he looks, too many post in this forum of fat bulls. You can see what this bull has without all that fat...He looks like he can cover some ground which is important to some of us ranchers. I think he's pretty to look at....so, he'd add that to my program...bottom line, what i haul to the sale barn is what is the most important..

Very nice bull! Alpin, still, after all these years? If you don't mind my asking, and feel free to PM or even disregard if you would rather, why go back to those "original" genetics? Do you feel the current lines are not as good, that the breeders haven't progressed in the right direction? Or was this just an outstanding individual? Or, is it a case of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

MO_cows":1w0ysb2r said:
Very nice bull! Alpin, still, after all these years? If you don't mind my asking, and feel free to PM or even disregard if you would rather, why go back to those "original" genetics? Do you feel the current lines are not as good, that the breeders haven't progressed in the right direction? Or was this just an outstanding individual? Or, is it a case of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Alpin, after all these years. :0 It is actually a case of need a Tarentaise bull for the Tarentaise herd I bought last fall and there are very few around and Bryce had this bull for sale. I evaluated him and liked him and I evaluated his dam and I liked her and that was all I needed to know. It just so happens he is an Alpin son. :)
Crazy to think Alpin was imported in 1972!

Dylan Biggs":ro2xuxxw said:
MO_cows":ro2xuxxw said:

Alpin, after all these years. :0 It is actually a case of need a Tarentaise bull for the Tarentaise herd I bought last fall and there are very few around and Bryce had this bull for sale. I evaluated him and liked him and I evaluated his dam and I liked her and that was all I needed to know. It just so happens he is an Alpin son. :)

MO_cows, your question is a good one regarding progress, very difficult to answer though as I don't have enough experience for historical breed context.

M5farm":3a9ewzyi said:
cowgirl8":3a9ewzyi said:
CG , what would you expect this bull to do for your breeding program.

Dylan , I like him also what breed of cows will he be covering.

M5, thank you. He will be breeding Tarentaise and a hand full of Angus cows.

Aaron, thank you.

Dylan Biggs":2t61ellb said:
Dylan Biggs":2t61ellb said:
MO_cows":2t61ellb said:

MO_cows, your question is a good one regarding progress, very difficult to answer though as I don't have enough experience for historical breed context.

Then I'm gonna go with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". After thinking about it, the only thing you could really complain about Alpin in today's market, he isn't polled or black.

Really cool coloring on him! I am not at all familiar with the breed. The females that I have seen pictures of are all solid red. This may sound dumb, but is the black and red combination like this bull has, specific to just the bulls?

Saw some nice Tarentaise today here in Central Oregon - I was there to shear some sheep - and they looked like really nice cattle. Don't think I've seen any up close before and I must say I looked pretty darn nice. Moderate framed and well fleshed.

That's a cool looking cow cowgirl. But I was wondering about it in the Tarentaise cattle. All the females I have seen in that breed are light red.

Latest posts