New Study, 30 precent more likely to die early

Help Support CattleToday:

I caught this report this morning too. Their "red meat" included bologna, hot dogs, processed meat and fast food. Its ridiculous reporting. Does nothing but stir people up.

Brandonm22":1qjzhxp2 said:
LoveMoo11":1qjzhxp2 said:
I don't think that many people eat that much red meat every single day.

4 ounces??? My morning sausage patty I eat on a biscuit with eggs at 6:30 am EVERY DAY (unless I have bacon) is 4 ounces. Throw in 3-4 steaks (6-10 ounces each), a pork chop, 5 or 6 burgers, some beef fajitas/burritos/tacos/enchiladas, 3 or 4 hot dogs, 8 ounces of roast, pizza toppings, and a generous helping of braunschweiser, summer sausage, bologna, and vienna sausage snacks (plus the chicken and catfish) and you have my typical week.

:shock: I think I'm full now. :lol2:

I am 66 yr old and have been eating meat of all kinds since I was old enough to be weaned.
I've always ate what I wanted and never stopped until I was full.I have smoked all my life and drank a bunch of beer and whiskey,done just about whatever I wanted when I wanted.
I can still do an 8hr day's work and do it about every day.
Now I'm hearing that all this stuff I been doing is bad for me.Guess I am gonna die a young man.
Well the truth is I would rather die young and happy than old and miserable.

Cal

From the Editor of Drovers Journal
"As you might expect, this study drew harsh criticism from the folks who represent the folks who produce meat. But not for the reasons you might expect. James H. Hodges, executive vice president of the American Meat Institute, says single studies — such as this one — should not be used to draw major conclusions and cites results of several other studies showing that meat fits well in a balanced, healthy diet.

Hodges continues with some facts about meat that you might expect — that meat is part of a balanced diet, and is an excellent source of zinc, iron, B12 and other essential vitamins and minerals. But Hodges also sheds a little light on the way the study was conducted — which apparently was concocted in a very dark place by some very inexperienced researchers.

According to AMI, the researchers asked people to recall what they ate over the previous 12 months and to record it into a 35-page, detailed questionnaire. Notably, the front page of the questionnaire says "Answer each question as best you can. Estimate if you are not sure. A guess is better than leaving a blank." After 10 years and after receiving questionnaires only at the outset, the five-year mark and the 10-year mark, the researchers tried to correlate dietary factors with deaths.

"No doubt many participants guessed extensively in an effort to recall five years of habits and answer 35 pages of questions. Health conclusions and public policy recommendations should not be based on mere guesses," Hodges said.

I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday — let alone over the past five years — although it's safe to say that lunch usually includes a little meat. I also took a college course on research, but, as with lunch yesterday, I don't remember the segment on how to include 5-year-old guesses in research results. — Greg Henderson, Drovers editor."

There are always two sides and it is best to hear both before taking action.
Phil in Tupelo

Phil in Tupelo":331xu4gp said:
From the Editor of Drovers Journal
"As you might expect, this study drew harsh criticism from the folks who represent the folks who produce meat. But not for the reasons you might expect. James H. Hodges, executive vice president of the American Meat Institute, says single studies — such as this one — should not be used to draw major conclusions and cites results of several other studies showing that meat fits well in a balanced, healthy diet.

Hodges continues with some facts about meat that you might expect — that meat is part of a balanced diet, and is an excellent source of zinc, iron, B12 and other essential vitamins and minerals. But Hodges also sheds a little light on the way the study was conducted — which apparently was concocted in a very dark place by some very inexperienced researchers.

According to AMI, the researchers asked people to recall what they ate over the previous 12 months and to record it into a 35-page, detailed questionnaire. Notably, the front page of the questionnaire says "Answer each question as best you can. Estimate if you are not sure. A guess is better than leaving a blank." After 10 years and after receiving questionnaires only at the outset, the five-year mark and the 10-year mark, the researchers tried to correlate dietary factors with deaths.

"No doubt many participants guessed extensively in an effort to recall five years of habits and answer 35 pages of questions. Health conclusions and public policy recommendations should not be based on mere guesses," Hodges said.

I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday — let alone over the past five years — although it's safe to say that lunch usually includes a little meat. I also took a college course on research, but, as with lunch yesterday, I don't remember the segment on how to include 5-year-old guesses in research results. — Greg Henderson, Drovers editor."

There are always two sides and it is best to hear both before taking action.
Phil in Tupelo
I guess this is my point. It doesn't matter how full of sh** a study is, it still gets major news coverage and any replys from the Beef industry do not. People are left with one side of the story.

I swear.. WHY do we spend good $$ for researching this crap? No matter what they "research", they'll find some way to make it harmful or fatal. I would guess most of us on this Board are healthier than most simply because we work our a$$es off! Not many couch potatoes I'm guessing.. which is going to make more of a difference than eating red meat.

I gave up starches about 6 years ago to lose weight, so if I don't eat red meat I'd have to be a vegetarian! Not like THAT will happen!

TheBullLady":2up4ax1c said:
WHY do we spend good $$ for researching this crap? No matter what they "research", they'll find some way to make it harmful or fatal.

Your own personal agenda can also buy "facts" and "research" from acadamia. This is what keeps some acadamians rolling in grant money that allows them to hire TA's to teach their classes so they don't have to.

My theory is if you get up and work hard you can pretty much eat anything you want. Most people seem to forget the work hard part.

It boils down to one simple word MODERATION. Learn to do that and you will probably live a long boring life.

Jeff

PS I am still trying to define that one word :cboy: