New stock trailer question

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a Wilson aluminum with diamond plate floor. A lot of places here the cowboys drag a trailer through stuff a lot of you wouldn't drive a pickup. The man I bought it from sells a lot of trailers. He said the Wilson trailers are the only thing that holds up

The new Maxxim Eagle trailers are starting to grow on me. Might be worth a look. They're different looking for sure.

I am looking to buy a new stock trailer. Looking at Delta Cattleman trailer, Gooseneck, and Cirlce W made in Alabama .... also looking at roofs why do so many run with tarp and not metal roof I was thinking metal roof ....and the rubber floor in place of wood ...any advice?
Considering the price of new trailers... and what I can buy one for used... I'd never pay for a new trailer. I've never been inclined to spend money just because I have it... especially when it could be put into something that doesn't depreciate.

Considering the price of new trailers... and what I can buy one for used... I'd never pay for a new trailer. I've never been inclined to spend money just because I have it... especially when it could be put into something that doesn't depreciate.

huh. I bought new 3 years ago because the price of good used was nearly new price.

3 years ago a good used 7.5x24 Wilson was selling for 22-25k with unknown brakes, bearings, questionable lights, and older tires.

I paid 27.5k for the same trailer new. The prices difference for new everything was well worth it to me.

And at least currently trailers aren't really depreciating. My dealer would give me 30k for my trailer in a heart beat.

And yes I know this thread is older than dirt.

huh. I bought new 3 years ago because the price of good used was nearly new price.

3 years ago a good used 7.5x24 Wilson was selling for 22-25k with unknown brakes, bearings, questionable lights, and older tires.

I paid 27.5k for the same trailer new. The prices difference for new everything was well worth it to me.

And at least currently trailers aren't really depreciating. My dealer would give me 30k for my trailer in a heart beat.

And yes I know this thread is older than dirt.
Yup, and I admit it, the times are driving used stuff up unreasonably. I just bought a new SUV and paid for half of it with what I got from a 13 year old van with 170K on it. Crazy high prices for used. More than I paid for it three years ago.

And here I am telling on myself... buying new. LOL...

I have a Wilson aluminum with diamond plate floor. A lot of places here the cowboys drag a trailer through stuff a lot of you wouldn't drive a pickup. The man I bought it from sells a lot of trailers. He said the Wilson trailers are the only thing that holds up
I bought a 18x 7.5 Wilson trailer new in 2002. Ordered to my specks for $10,200. Was offered what i paid for it this spring.

What kind of rubber floor are you guys talking about? When we bought our trailer it had rubber mats down on top of the wood, and after a few mins of manure and urine it was like glass. I hauled a load of steers home once and one had fell and couldn't get enough grip to stand so it just laid there the whole trip. After that I pulled them out and put down cattle panel and it hasn't been an issue since.
It is called Rumbar. It is a material made from ground up tires, and comes in lumber sizes..2 x 6, 2 x8,. etc. First saw it as advertised for building docks out of, but about 2000 or so, I started seeing it as an option for trailer floors. It doesn't rot, and the floor will outlast the steel trailer itself. The rag tops are cheaper than metal tops, and a tad lighter. I see about as many without a rag top as I do with one. When the top gets in bad shape, they just take it off and not replace it.

The rag tops are cheaper than metal tops, and a tad lighter. I see about as many without a rag top as I do with one. When the top gets in bad shape, they just take it off and not replace it.

I had an open top trailer for a while. It did not contain everything occasionally. I'll never do that again...

what i am looking at is a 20' gooseneck .....I see at lot with tarp cover roof here in Alabama
I've had a couple tarp top trailers, ww and gooseneck, still have the ww, it pulls good but not as good of a trailer asthe gooseneck brand. if you have a tarp top plan on putting new ones on. I prefer a metal top

When I bought my 20 foot Wilson in 2013 the same trailer 20 years old was maybe $3,000 less than new. It was an easy decision.

Merritt or Wilson both make great trailers. Makes sense, if you can make cattle liners with a good reputation you should be able to make good stock trailers.

Merritt or Wilson both make great trailers. Makes sense, if you can make cattle liners with a good reputation you should be able to make good stock trailers.
They aren't as well built as Heartland. Neighbor has a Wilson same age as my Heartland, they are now welding on it quite often.
I let the airbag assembly bounce with a broken leveling valve for too long a couple years ago. That cost a bit to repair. Absolutely no cracks on it after 5 years of steady use.

They aren't as well built as Heartland. Neighbor has a Wilson same age as my Heartland, they are now welding on it quite often.
I let the airbag assembly bounce with a broken leveling valve for too long a couple years ago. That cost a bit to repair. Absolutely no cracks on it after 5 years of steady use.
I would like to see a Heartland trailer. Must be good. Not much on a Wilson to weld. Most of it is put together with big Rivits. In 20 years i would think mine has hauled 20,000 head and have never welded anything.

When I bought my 20 foot Wilson in 2013 the same trailer 20 years old was maybe $3,000 less than new. It was an easy decision.
So many people have commented on my post... "Considering the price of new trailers... and what I can buy one for used... I'd never pay for a new trailer."... maybe I should go into a little more detail.

I've never bought a new cattle trailer because I can't justify the cost for the little I use them. So I look at bulletin boards and local ads, or see something out in a field and find the owner to ask them if it's for sale. And then I rebuild them. Grease the bearings and change the seals, put a new coupler on, lights, new floor and tires, and I'm into a trailer for 1200/2000 dollars... maybe a little more. And I sell them for more than I have in them after building one every couple of years. They aren't big enough to haul 30 cows because if I need thirty cows hauled it's cheaper to hire it done than have a too large trailer sitting around with the tires rotting. They aren't aluminum and they don't have changing rooms and they don't look shiny, but they do what I need to do and they don't cost me anything after I fix them up because they aren't so nice I have to insure them. And... I'd rather spend my money on a nicer truck or better livestock. I'm just offering an alternative idea to spending money that can be used in other ways. That's pretty much why I'm here, to share my experience. This kind of thinking is why I could pay cash for my second ranch and why I haven't had a house/car/whatever payment since '05 when I bought my first new car for cash. I'd rather not put that kind of thing out there, but I think my post was misunderstood and I just wanted to clarify. And I know other people have other priorities, but I also see people getting in trouble because they want something shiny and they aren't thinking about the next sixty payments...

Mine is a rubber floor with a tarp on top 7x20. I bought it at a local farm sell out auction for $6500.00. That was a giveaway even then. I put 14 ply tires on and keep it in the shed. The rubber floor is nice as I put a fence panel over and that tarp is not like your run of the mill China tarp as it might last 20 years out in mother nature.

I had a metal before that was okay but constantly rattled loud and was heavier. I had a Featherlite 7x20 with the saddle storage on the front that I despised. You couldn't see anything and kind of scary in your back glass.

The second picture is the Featherlite I had which was older and the metal was about twice as thick as the new ones nowadays. I hated the the front nose was the main reason I sold it. For the horse business that would be great.

ciOBi7S.jpg

Gr1FHwp.jpg

Last edited:
I pull a 24 x 7 Big Bend. A steel trailer that self cleans itself. Cleated rubber floor. Most of the stuff that are options on other trailers are stock on Big Bends. They are somewhat aero dynamic. I get better gas mileage with it loaded than I do my square box fronted aluminum 20' trailer empty. Neckover was my second choice and the company is the maker of my flatbed.

Latest posts