new steer!

Help Support CattleToday:

grand chaser09

Reaction score
here's my step sisters new steer. hes a september 1st steer ou of paddy o'malley and a maine cow. he's really green and likes to stomp feet[mine was purple for about 2 weeks]. Tell us what you think about him!! be as critical as possible so we can try to make him better!! thanks! ps his name is pablo. :lol:

b.jpg

a.jpg

l.jpg

p.jpg

Well, Pablo look like a fine project steer :D

Watch the front he looks like he might have a tendency to turn out. A good monthly trimming might help with that.
Clean in the brisket area, always a plus.
Watch his neck as he matures a good sweat band 120 days out from your fair.
I like his tail set, nice level long back and from what I can see he is adequate in width and thickness.
He has a fair amount of hair, something you might be able to work with providing you have a cooler barn and if you can get more pics that would be great. Having a hard time with the rear leg set.

Looks like a good steer to start the year off with, good job. :D

My question is..............do you think he is a better steer than what she has started off with or raised in the past.

D

:roll:
First off show steer up, is a cooler your answer to every problem a calf might have. You have just about mentioned it in every post you have made in this forum.

Second, lets see some good pictures so we can make an accurate judgement of the calf instead of guess at what we can't see.

I agree, need better pictures.

But from these pictures my opinion is an good steer but he isn't great. How old is he? I feel like he should have a little more depth and width to him. I'm not partial to animals with a narrow head like he has, I have often found it reflects how the animals grow out later. Also I don't feel his body has the smoothness I like in a steer. But again, I'm only judging by what I can't really see so he may be ok. He definitely has good length though, I guess we'll have to see how he grows out.

Cowboy 2.0":2dbxxc5m said:
First off show steer up, is a cooler your answer to every problem a calf might have. You have just about mentioned it in every post you have made in this forum.

I guess sublimely I am trying to get the young ones to see how important a cooler barn can be. If you have a great animal and have a coat. I just make it that much better.
If you have an average animal and have a coat, you may have "created" a champion.

Around five years ago I could take a 1000 dollar steer, get a coat and come darn close to my kids taking grand or reserve. I must tell you it had nothing to do with their showing as they were 8 and 6.
What it did have to do with was, they were showing a 1700 + lb. gentle giant, tan as sand, and a coat that put the champion to shame. To bad the judge didn't have the "guts" to put a 14" T-bone steak on everyone's plate.

Once the competition realized how important a coat was and that a mediocre animal had a chance, people in our area started putting their money into cooling systems and not expensive cattle.
Now our show is so tough we run with the big boys and unfortunately our start out price is getting a little steeper.

So, if I can get it through to some of you out there it would be.................put your extra bucks in the barn. Show one animal next year and vamp up your system. I promise you, when you show up with a full coat and the others show up with slick cattle. You will be the champion in everyone's eye weather you win grand or not.

So, no..................It's not the answer to every problem, but it sure can fix a whole lot of yuck and get you that much higher up in the auction
AKA $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;-)

:cboy: Cowgirl Up!

Hay I think I just created a new Bumper sticker....................

"Cooler Barns... Fixing One Yuck at a Time!"

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I kill myself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For starters one should never I repeat never photograph or for that matter look at cattle from an elevated point of view. This is expeciall important if you are asking someone to give you a honest visual apprasial of that animal. With that being said from what I can see of the calf he appears to be a middle of the road prospect. Nothing outstanding, I do not like the calfs front leg set he seems to want to go east west to some degree although this may be because of the angle. He is not a calf that would be in my barn if I was looking at doing much winning with beyond the local level. Mainly because from the top view you have given us to appraise I see nothing as fars as rib shape and he only posses adequate dimension through his hip. Good luck

Latest posts