New Steer Owner - Need a Bit of Help

Help Support CattleToday:

MikahMom

Reaction score
Hi,

I just brought home my new 7 month old Hereford 1/4 Brahma steer home this past Tuesday. We were so excited to finally get our little Sir Loin!! Our goal is to raise him up over the next year and eventually into our freezer :) We are feeding him six lbs of grain a day right now and need to know when we should start "upping" his feed and what the key final amount would be once he is full grown. He is in our round pen at the moment acclimating himself to his new home -- and so that our Shire horses get used to him. We will be putting him out in pasture tomorrow afternoon where there is still plenty of tall grass. Not sure how long the grass will be good as we haven't had any rain at all at our place in over a month and the forecast is for another two weeks of dry weather (we live in central Mississippi). When should we start feeding him hay and how much as we don't want him to get scours. Also how can we put minerals out for him so that our horses don't get into it? We top dress their feed with loose minerals that are specifically fortified for equines. How often should he be wormed? I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these are the main ones for now!! Thanks for all your help :cboy:

First off at 7 months he was either weaned on a trailer to you or he was fully weaned before you got him. If its the first, yu better keep him in that pen for a few wekks or the first time you let him out hes gonna run and go looking for mom. You may or may not get him back. Been there.

Knowing his weight now and as he grows will help with the grain ration amount. Besides hay or pasture for roughage he should evewntually be up to around 2% of his body eighht in grain per day. We stretch it out over several weeks to take them from about 1/2% a day upto 2% per day. Remember that he will continue to grow and the amount of grain needs to also increase to keep him at 2%. It can be done by eye and his appetite but it's trickier to do. Eye balling him then feeding the amount he will clean up in about 15 minutes twice a day is usually safe. If you over do it he may get acidosis and get sick and go off feed while not giving him enough will keep him growing slower and never really putting on much finish

hooknline":1p504onr said:
First off at 7 months he was either weaned on a trailer to you or he was fully weaned before you got him. If its the first, yu better keep him in that pen for a few wekks or the first time you let him out hes gonna run and go looking for mom. You may or may not get him back. Been there.

He was weaned about two to three weeks before we picked him up -- should we still keep him in the round pen for a couple of weeks? Our Shires have been going over and putting their heads over the panels to visit with him.

How are you going to feed him grain and not feed everything else? If you plan on running him with other stock and bringing him in for grain you might want to keep him separate long enough that he realizes where the grain comes form and will come in by himself to get it.

I know if it were me I'd keep him penned for at least 2 more weeks and let him really get used to his new home and your feed setup.

dun":3ei12czt said:
How are you going to feed him grain and not feed everything else? If you plan on running him with other stock and bringing him in for grain you might want to keep him separate long enough that he realizes where the grain comes form and will come in by himself to get it.

I put my horses up in their stalls for their breakfast and dinner and they aren't let out again until all the other animals (goats, pigs and chickens) have been fed. Do you think that Cyrl (our steer) would be okay in a pasture by himself so long as he can see the horses? He does bawl occasionally in the round pen, but I figure that is because he is lonely and the horses are out of his eyesight... I try to go out a couple of times a day just to sit outside the round pen and keep him company, give him a few scratches on the top of his head when he comes up close

MikahMom":3o8tkye9 said:
dun":3o8tkye9 said:

I put my horses up in their stalls for their breakfast and dinner and they aren't let out again until all the other animals (goats, pigs and chickens) have been fed. Do you think that Cyrl (our steer) would be okay in a pasture by himself so long as he can see the horses? He does bawl occasionally in the round pen, but I figure that is because he is lonely and the horses are out of his eyesight... I try to go out a couple of times a day just to sit outside the round pen and keep him company, give him a few scratches on the top of his head when he comes up close
I'ld hold him like that till at least next tuesday. You can let them out too early but it's awfully hard to hold them like thatt long. When you go out with the grain does he come running when he sees you? If he does holding him ovr the weekend at least (I tend towards being paranoid) is the way I would do it.

holding him a couple of weeks longer wouldn't hurt, but you might start working on a food association. let him associate a loud noise, banging on the gate etc. , with you and being fed. When you go out to see him as you mentioned, make the loud noise, make sure he sees you, and give him a reward, in your case, a small amount of feed. he will learn the association and be trained that the noise and seeing you means mealtime. Cows are not the smartest of earth's creatures, but they form food associations very fast. good luck with your steer.

MikahMom":34g8otbi said:
Hi,

I just brought home my new 7 month old Hereford 1/4 Brahma steer home this past Tuesday. We were so excited to finally get our little Sir Loin!! Our goal is to raise him up over the next year and eventually into our freezer :) We are feeding him six lbs of grain a day right now and need to know when we should start "upping" his feed and what the key final amount would be once he is full grown. He is in our round pen at the moment acclimating himself to his new home -- and so that our Shire horses get used to him. We will be putting him out in pasture tomorrow afternoon where there is still plenty of tall grass. Not sure how long the grass will be good as we haven't had any rain at all at our place in over a month and the forecast is for another two weeks of dry weather (we live in central Mississippi). When should we start feeding him hay and how much as we don't want him to get scours. Also how can we put minerals out for him so that our horses don't get into it? We top dress their feed with loose minerals that are specifically fortified for equines. How often should he be wormed? I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these are the main ones for now!! Thanks for all your help :cboy:

:???: Last Tuesday and as much as he wants....He's in a round pen!

He should be fine in a pasture by himself or with your goats. Keep an eye on your horses if they have never been around calves. They may chase him.

Give him as much hay as he wants. Hay won't scour him. Too much feed will.

Just a suggestion. Don't make a pet out of him if you are planning to eat him. It's easier not to get attached if you don't pet or scratch them.