New steer and heifer pics

Help Support CattleToday:

showkid1200":3a9lyh6a said:
well what can i do to make him not look so high in the flank?
Just dye that part of him. I mean I realize it goes all the way along his underline so.. you would have 3 options, I'd say.

1. Go ahead and dye all of him
2. Dye his underline
3. Leave a little extra hair on the flank and let it stay white

well what i'll probably end up doing is cart him around to some jackpot shows as is and see how he does and if the white hurts me then come the big show i'll dye him all black :D

showkid1200":19n47htt said:
well what i'll probably end up doing is cart him around to some jackpot shows as is and see how he does and if the white hurts me then come the big show i'll dye him all black :D
Sounds like a plan. :cboy:

showkid1200":2nzv5s07 said:

If you dye just his flank, it will be very obvious. What I would do is run him with the white at the jackpot shows because a judge will be closer to the calf and the illusion won't matter as much. When it comes time for the bigger shows, dye him. Dye's not that expensive. $40 of Young Color II will probably last you the whole showseason.

People actually do this? They actually dye their animals hair for a show?

Man, I gotta get out more!

Alice

It is unethical and against most all show policies to completly change that calves color. If caught you could be disqualified and never be able to show at that particular show again. Then people would know you and your family as a cheater. Is that worth it? For me it would not be. The white in his flank may make him look high flanked, but just give him some time and get him to growing and he should be just fine. I personally like the flashy calves it gets you noticed in the show ring.

Next line of business. The Paddy O Mally heifer......... Are you using her to breed? If so make sure you go with a different bull breed, or one that has not had any PHA problems. Paddy has thrown ALOT of PHA calves, so just becareful.

I like both calves and hope that you post more pictures as they grow.

Tracy740":3nweg547 said:
The white in his flank may make him look high flanked, but just give him some time and get him to growing and he should be just fine. I personally like the flashy calves it gets you noticed in the show ring.

I agree I think as he grows an fills out he will look good with his color as is.

Tracy740":12ze8eht said:
It is unethical and against most all show policies to completly change that calves color. If caught you could be disqualified and never be able to show at that particular show again. Then people would know you and your family as a cheater. Is that worth it? For me it would not be. The white in his flank may make him look high flanked, but just give him some time and get him to growing and he should be just fine. I personally like the flashy calves it gets you noticed in the show ring.

Next line of business. The Paddy O Mally heifer......... Are you using her to breed? If so make sure you go with a different bull breed, or one that has not had any PHA problems. Paddy has thrown ALOT of PHA calves, so just becareful.

The thing is, no dying at the show. That will get you DQ'ed. I been down the road of getting DQ'ed before, I know how it goes. I now know every rule for every major show in the country.

Cowboy 2.0":2su6zcj4 said:
showkid1200":2su6zcj4 said:

If you dye just his flank, it will be very obvious. What I would do is run him with the white at the jackpot shows because a judge will be closer to the calf and the illusion won't matter as much. When it comes time for the bigger shows, dye him. Dye's not that expensive. $40 of Young Color II will probably last you the whole showseason.
He already said he was gonna do that. :p

Grand Chaser":183kp0av said:
Nice i like them both. From the looks of it the heifer has some extra waste in her neck also. Love the color of the steer very flashy calf.

Yes, I love the color of this calf. He is nice looking.

Cowboy 2.0":3qt1154a said:
The thing is, no dying at the show. That will get you DQ'ed. I been down the road of getting DQ'ed before, I know how it goes. I now know every rule for every major show in the country.

So does this make you special in some sort of way? I guess I don't understand if you've been DQ'ed before,then why do it agian? It doesn't make any sense to me. :roll:

I'm pretty sure that most rules say no changing the color or pattern of any animal. It doesn't really mean that you can't dye "at the show" it means no dying a calf with a white tail completley black. Remember a few years back at NWSS the girl that won the fat show, got some $100,000 and they found out that the steer had white hair not black?? Why risk it??

You have to remember the eithics involved!!!!

Have a good day :p

~Britani~ 8)

Colorado2008":2ngbhi0w said:
It doesn't really mean that you can't dye "at the show" it means no dying a calf with a white tail completley black. Remember a few years back at NWSS the girl that won the fat show, got some $100,000 and they found out that the steer had white hair not black?? Why risk it??

:clap:

Colorado2008":3wobsm64 said:
Cowboy 2.0":3wobsm64 said:

So does this make you special in some sort of way? I guess I don't understand if you've been DQ'ed before,then why do it agian? It doesn't make any sense to me. :roll:

I'm pretty sure that most rules say no changing the color or pattern of any animal. It doesn't really mean that you can't dye "at the show" it means no dying a calf with a white tail completley black. Remember a few years back at NWSS the girl that won the fat show, got some $100,000 and they found out that the steer had white hair not black?? Why risk it??

~Britani~ 8)

All I said was I know the rules, I know what they say. You can't dye at the show, doesn't mean at your house, just not at the show.

Cowboy 2.0":2act94md said:
Colorado2008":2act94md said:
Cowboy 2.0":2act94md said:

~Britani~ 8)

All I said was I know the rules, I know what they say. You can't dye at the show, doesn't mean at your house, just not at the show.

I know that you said "At the show" but....

You are advising this kid/parent (whoever may be reading this) to do something that is, how should i put this, ILLEGAL!!!

Wether they know that or not i don't know.

My point is, is you can not, may i repeat that again CAN NOT dye a calf (or any other animal for that fact, a different color. I case you haven't noticed, that calf has white on his flank, legs, and tail.

Showkid1200 do not dye your calf a different color. it is illegal. Don't risk it

~Britani~ 8)

Cowboy 2.0":2v0ydpqs said:
Tracy740":2v0ydpqs said:

Dont you have to take any meat quality, or ethics classes for FFA or 4-H down where you live? There was a girl that had the Grandchampion at NWSS in Denver, the calf at the show was black....Guess his real color, RED. Guess what happened to her 100 grand? Yep taken away, Guess where she died the steer.....AT HOME..... Why not pick the correct calf or the best calf you can get for your budget instead of CHEATING AND LYING. If I knew that calf had white on him like that I and I saw you show up to a show with that same calf but he is now all black, I am going to squak to show officials. Dont think that I am the only one that would. I am not afraid of the compitition, may the best calf win, but why not do it without the cheating and lying?

Let me ask you this.... So you cheat and lie now and later in life say you become a aviation engineer or just a plain building engineer, are you going to cheat and lie and skimp on the building design and materials to get the job and then put peoples lives at risk? If you do not think that it relates then you my little friend are WRONG!!! Ethics, morals and values start NOW.

I wont say any more, I am 36 years old and to old to argue with snot nosed kids that think they know everything, but if I can get just one of you to think just a little about your morals and values then my ranting has been worth it.

well i do agree with you guys that it is wrong. At are county fair kids dye there steers all the time but there all black. Well thanks for the tips but if i want to end up dying the heifer since she is all black how much young color do i mix up and how long do i leave it in. Also i will actually be getting her to my farm in about 2 1/2 months how much do you normally feed heifers? i take it they don't need as much as steers?

Tracy740":33vyrk0w said:
Cowboy 2.0":33vyrk0w said:
Tracy740":33vyrk0w said:

Dont you have to take any meat quality, or ethics classes for FFA or 4-H down where you live? There was a girl that had the Grandchampion at NWSS in Denver, the calf at the show was black....Guess his real color, RED. Guess what happened to her 100 grand? Yep taken away, Guess where she died the steer.....AT HOME..... Why not pick the correct calf or the best calf you can get for your budget instead of CHEATING AND LYING. If I knew that calf had white on him like that I and I saw you show up to a show with that same calf but he is now all black, I am going to squak to show officials. Dont think that I am the only one that would. I am not afraid of the compitition, may the best calf win, but why not do it without the cheating and lying?

Let me ask you this.... So you cheat and lie now and later in life say you become a aviation engineer or just a plain building engineer, are you going to cheat and lie and skimp on the building design and materials to get the job and then put peoples lives at risk? If you do not think that it relates then you my little friend are WRONG!!! Ethics, morals and values start NOW.

I wont say any more, I am 36 years old and to old to argue with snot nosed kids that think they know everything, but if I can get just one of you to think just a little about your morals and values then my ranting has been worth it.

I have taken Quaility Counts, about 5 times. Okay, set this strait, You said the calf was red, colorado up there said he was white. Would y'all please get your stories straight? Don't worry about me being and engineer, I've already started jocking calves and fitting, thats what I plan to do.

showkid1200":25tuleiq said:
well i do agree with you guys that it is wrong. At are county fair kids dye there steers all the time but there all black. Well thanks for the tips but if i want to end up dying the heifer since she is all black how much young color do i mix up and how long do i leave it in. Also i will actually be getting her to my farm in about 2 1/2 months how much do you normally feed heifers? i take it they don't need as much as steers?
You use exactly 0 young color because you shouldn't be dying her.

No reason to. If you don't think she's good enough without dying her, don't show her.

Latest posts