New steer and heifer pics

Help Support CattleToday:

showkid1200":4sy1wxei said:
well i do agree with you guys that it is wrong. At are county fair kids dye there steers all the time but there all black. Well thanks for the tips but if i want to end up dying the heifer since she is all black how much young color do i mix up and how long do i leave it in. Also i will actually be getting her to my farm in about 2 1/2 months how much do you normally feed heifers? i take it they don't need as much as steers?

The only thing I would change in between on how I feed my steers and heifers is that at night, the heifers are turned out on a run with a round bale in it and the steers are given 2 flakes of hay apiece in their runs. For Young Color II, you mix 4 of the bottles and fill up with water in a Sullivans spray bottle, and shake till your arms fall off. Put on your doctor's gloves cause it will stain you hands. Take a plastic wash brush and scrub it into their hair. Let it set for about 3 hours and then come back and wash the residue out. I would die the heifer also because she wil have a lot of brown in her hair.

Showkid, I also don't think anyone answered your intial question. Yes, I would go ahead and get that sweat collar on him. If someone already did answer, sorry. :oops:

Jay

jaydill":gi3a6rlg said:
showkid1200":gi3a6rlg said:
well i do agree with you guys that it is wrong. At are county fair kids dye there steers all the time but there all black. Well thanks for the tips but if i want to end up dying the heifer since she is all black how much young color do i mix up and how long do i leave it in. Also i will actually be getting her to my farm in about 2 1/2 months how much do you normally feed heifers? i take it they don't need as much as steers?
You use exactly 0 young color because you shouldn't be dying her.

No reason to. If you don't think she's good enough without dying her, don't show her.

Precisely... :clap:

Cowboy 2.0":207d2ygs said:
Tracy740":207d2ygs said:
Cowboy 2.0":207d2ygs said:
Tracy740":207d2ygs said:
It is unethical and against most all show policies to completly change that calves color. If caught you could be disqualified and never be able to show at that particular show again. Then people would know you and your family as a cheater. Is that worth it? For me it would not be. The white in his flank may make him look high flanked, but just give him some time and get him to growing and he should be just fine. I personally like the flashy calves it gets you noticed in the show ring.

Next line of business. The Paddy O Mally heifer......... Are you using her to breed? If so make sure you go with a different bull breed, or one that has not had any PHA problems. Paddy has thrown ALOT of PHA calves, so just becareful.

I like both calves and hope that you post more pictures as they grow.

The thing is, no dying at the show. That will get you DQ'ed. I been down the road of getting DQ'ed before, I know how it goes. I now know every rule for every major show in the country.

Dont you have to take any meat quality, or ethics classes for FFA or 4-H down where you live? There was a girl that had the Grandchampion at NWSS in Denver, the calf at the show was black....Guess his real color, RED. Guess what happened to her 100 grand? Yep taken away, Guess where she died the steer.....AT HOME..... Why not pick the correct calf or the best calf you can get for your budget instead of CHEATING AND LYING. If I knew that calf had white on him like that I and I saw you show up to a show with that same calf but he is now all black, I am going to squak to show officials. Dont think that I am the only one that would. I am not afraid of the compitition, may the best calf win, but why not do it without the cheating and lying?

Let me ask you this.... So you cheat and lie now and later in life say you become a aviation engineer or just a plain building engineer, are you going to cheat and lie and skimp on the building design and materials to get the job and then put peoples lives at risk? If you do not think that it relates then you my little friend are WRONG!!! Ethics, morals and values start NOW.

I wont say any more, I am 36 years old and to old to argue with snot nosed kids that think they know everything, but if I can get just one of you to think just a little about your morals and values then my ranting has been worth it.

I have taken Quaility Counts, about 5 times. Okay, set this strait, You said the calf was red, colorado up there said he was white. Would y'all please get your stories straight? Don't worry about me being and engineer, I've already started jocking calves and fitting, thats what I plan to do.

White...red...does it really matter. the fact is it was wrong and she ended up getting caught.

showkid1200, i also agree on the sweat collar. will clean him up and make him look that much better.

~Britani~ 8)

showkid1200":tq5ou7nt said:
okay well i knew that about hay but what about grain how much should a heifer get a day how many pounds?

How much does she weigh? My rule of thumb is 2% of their body weight. We usually start ours on full grain in October when we get the show calves. If you creep feed them they will look much better than if you don't.

~Britani~ 8)

showkid1200":1fr78r9d said:
creep feed whats that?
Feed you start your calves out on while they're still on mom. Helps put pounds on them come weaning time and gets them off to an early start on feed. How old are your calves?

showkid1200":3dfe8w2x said:
2 1/2 months
It wouldn't hurt to creep them. It's really whatever your preference is.. there is a lot of information on these boards about creep feeding. Go up to the navigation bar at the top of the page and click "Search". Type "creep" or "creep feeding" into the top box and you should get plenty of information on it.

Colorado2008":220xqo0i said:
Cowboy 2.0":220xqo0i said:
Tracy740":220xqo0i said:
Cowboy 2.0":220xqo0i said:
Tracy740":220xqo0i said:
It is unethical and against most all show policies to completly change that calves color. If caught you could be disqualified and never be able to show at that particular show again. Then people would know you and your family as a cheater. Is that worth it? For me it would not be. The white in his flank may make him look high flanked, but just give him some time and get him to growing and he should be just fine. I personally like the flashy calves it gets you noticed in the show ring.

Next line of business. The Paddy O Mally heifer......... Are you using her to breed? If so make sure you go with a different bull breed, or one that has not had any PHA problems. Paddy has thrown ALOT of PHA calves, so just becareful.

I like both calves and hope that you post more pictures as they grow.

The thing is, no dying at the show. That will get you DQ'ed. I been down the road of getting DQ'ed before, I know how it goes. I now know every rule for every major show in the country.

Dont you have to take any meat quality, or ethics classes for FFA or 4-H down where you live? There was a girl that had the Grandchampion at NWSS in Denver, the calf at the show was black....Guess his real color, RED. Guess what happened to her 100 grand? Yep taken away, Guess where she died the steer.....AT HOME..... Why not pick the correct calf or the best calf you can get for your budget instead of CHEATING AND LYING. If I knew that calf had white on him like that I and I saw you show up to a show with that same calf but he is now all black, I am going to squak to show officials. Dont think that I am the only one that would. I am not afraid of the compitition, may the best calf win, but why not do it without the cheating and lying?

Let me ask you this.... So you cheat and lie now and later in life say you become a aviation engineer or just a plain building engineer, are you going to cheat and lie and skimp on the building design and materials to get the job and then put peoples lives at risk? If you do not think that it relates then you my little friend are WRONG!!! Ethics, morals and values start NOW.

I wont say any more, I am 36 years old and to old to argue with snot nosed kids that think they know everything, but if I can get just one of you to think just a little about your morals and values then my ranting has been worth it.

I have taken Quaility Counts, about 5 times. Okay, set this strait, You said the calf was red, colorado up there said he was white. Would y'all please get your stories straight? Don't worry about me being and engineer, I've already started jocking calves and fitting, thats what I plan to do.

White...red...does it really matter. the fact is it was wrong and she ended up getting caught.

showkid1200, i also agree on the sweat collar. will clean him up and make him look that much better.

~Britani~ 8)

Well, someone doesn't know what their talking about. Just trying to get the story straight.

Colorado2008":1lntl2rs said:
showkid1200":1lntl2rs said:
okay well i knew that about hay but what about grain how much should a heifer get a day how many pounds?

How much does she weigh? My rule of thumb is 2% of their body weight. We usually start ours on full grain in October when we get the show calves. If you creep feed them they will look much better than if you don't.

~Britani~ 8)

You start at a differn't time then us. We start in March.

Cowboy 2.0":1rdwiuwl said:

The reason we start so early is so we dont have to push so hard in the end. When we get them home they usually weigh around 450-550. We start them out slow, like 1% of their body weight, them we move up o 2% of their body weight, by December. By tag in (in Feb) they are weighing 850-900 and we can switch them over to finisher. we switch to finisher so soon only because it can be hard to get finish on them when they are in a cooler barn. :roll:

I guess its what works for you. As you can probably tell we spen a lot of $$$ in feed. :shock: but its worth it in the end :p

~Britani~ 8)

Colorado2008":7skd50u3 said:
Cowboy 2.0":7skd50u3 said:

The reason we start so early is so we dont have to push so hard in the end. When we get them home they usually weigh around 450-550. We start them out slow, like 1% of their body weight, them we move up o 2% of their body weight, by December. By tag in (in Feb) they are weighing 850-900 and we can switch them over to finisher. we switch to finisher so soon only because it can be hard to get finish on them when they are in a cooler barn. :roll:

I guess its what works for you. As you can probably tell we spen a lot of $$$ in feed. :shock: but its worth it in the end :p

~Britani~ 8)
When is your major show? I think you actually start after us. Our calves weigh 450-600 as well. Our tag in is in July. I think our schedules just differ because we are aiming for different finishing times. Either way, you need to be feeding the calf the same % of their body weight which, I'm going to agree with you, should be 2%.

Colorado2008":3eurn0ie said:
Cowboy 2.0":3eurn0ie said:

~Britani~ 8)

I have 2 calves right now that I got in one in Feb. and oneis March and the Feb. calf is weight 900 and the March calf is weighing 750. I know what going through feed is.

jaydill":yfpp76xj said:
When is your major show? I think you actually start after us. Our calves weigh 450-600 as well. Our tag in is in July. I think our schedules just differ because we are aiming for different finishing times. Either way, you need to be feeding the calf the same % of their body weight which, I'm going to agree with you, should be 2%.

I am aiming for them to be finished by the first week in August. Which is county fair. I actually have two smaller steers that aren't quite as finished becuse they are state fair steers and state is like three weeks after county.

I just hate being on the lighter end. I think that it is easier to hold back and wait, then it is to push really hard to make the light end of the weight limit. :p

~Britani~ 8)

showkid1200":b8phmedq said:
well is it realistic to finish a steer in 19 months?

That would be like me having a lighter calf and skipping the spring majors and holding him for the state fair. Thats on the long end of finishing a steer.