New Small Cattle Farm

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you for the info!

Kell-inKY - I completely agree with you. I didn't realize grass-only was an option. Can I really do that? If I could put them on grass-only, that would be great! And I will do that.

I'll see how they do with the barb wire fence. There are no cattle beside my farm. Only a hay field. The rest is either woods, or a person's house/yard. So hopefully, my cows won't be tempted to get out. But we will see.

I realized something last night and I need you guys/gals to tell me if I'm wrong. I realized that it will cost me about $2.50 per pound to buy a weaned steer. So at 300lb, that would be $750 that I would pay for the steer. When I go to sell him, the price is about the same or less. So at 800lbs (if I can get him that fat from spring to fall), I would sell him for let's say $2 per pound, that would be $1,600. That only leaves me with $850 to work with. By the time I give him his medical needs, worming, castration, hay, etc, I'm not going to make much money if any. Am I calculating this and understanding this correctly? I don't have a problem with it, since I'm not doing this for a living. But I always thought you could buy a calf for like $200 until I started googling cattle prices last night. Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you all.

south, when you could buy a calf for 200.00 he sold for 600.00 after fattening. People hear and see what calves are bringing and think people are making a killing and want to jump on board. In reality properly cared for animals have a slim margin of profit. the larger the operations some cost go down other cost go up. Its all relative to management. The calf you buy today at 750.00 could only be worth 750.00 come next fall. or it could be worth 3000.00. The best advise is to start with a budget and a goal to not lose money( break even) as your journey progresses you will see where cut and profits can be made but don't expect to be like hitting the lottery. A large portion of profit in animal husbandry is not tangible and those that realize that are very wealthy.

The law of diminishing marginal returns applies to cattle, as well as everything else. Hard to justify some expenses, for just a few head. Even your meds, you may have an entire bottle left over of a few things. It all adds up.

I also contend, I was making more money 5-10 years ago, backgrounding cattle, than I am now. Plus, the risk is there giving $2.30 a pound for calves to really lose my hind end.

Hey all. I hope everyone has been doing well. It's been a while since I posted. I wanted to say thanks again for everyone's help. It's getting closer to spring, so I'm really starting to get things in order for buying some cows. I've decided to get a couple acres of my land prepared for cattle. I've got a 2 acre lot near my barn that is fenced separately. I'm going to purchase two male calves (weaned) in the spring and sell them this fall. That will give me all year (until fall) to learn about the cattle business and learn how it all works. I've never been around cattle, so this will be a good way to get my feet wet and experience all parts of the process, but with only two cows, rather than having 5 or 10 to learn on. A farmer that I go to church with recommended this to me, and I thought it was a very good idea.

This also gives me the entire year to get the rest of my farm in working-order. I have 8 acres of fencing to clear out. Yes, all of it is grown up. And a few spots need to be fixed. Once it's cleaned out, I will put a hot wire around it. So next year, I should be able to purchase 6 or 8 cows and I will be ready to go.

I wanted to post some pictures here, but I can't figure out how. Can someone help me?

That sounds like a good way to get your feet wet. While you probably won't make much money on two calves, hopefully you won't lose much either. If you do lose a few dollars just look at it as tuition to a "hands-on" university.

TennesseeTuxedo
-I'm not familiar with photobucket. I'll google it.

Rafter S
-I really like the way you put that. That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Everyone started somewhere.

Luck can come in both the good and bad variety. Luck can alternate from year to year. I wish you good fortune. Always. Learn the basics and stick to your guns. Have a plan.

Seems like you are asking the right questions. You are responding to the posts of others. THat tells me you are reading the comments and input. That's a plus as well. Refreshing to see.

Yes, you can mix clover - and other small legume seed, like birdsfoot trefoil - into feed/mineral, and some will come up in/around manure pats... but distribution will be pretty crappy (pun intended), and I'm sure overall germination rate will be far below what's stated on the label. At $4.00/lb that clover seed is an awfully expensive feed supplement, even if some % passes through and germinates.
For the most part, grass seeds are not going to be as successfully distributed in a 'feed-through' experiment as would small 'hard' legume seed.
If all I had was 8 acres, it would be a simple matter of 'walking' seed on, with a cyclone-type seeder slung over my shoulder. You'd hardly even break a sweat, and you'd get a lot better results than feeding seed to cows.

My advice (having started on a similar venture about 4 yrs ago): start small and (especially with just 8 acres) don't add but one or two more each year, until you get a feel for what your land will bear. I echo the advice that you need a way to catch them in case of illness etc.

Make sure your fences are good before you bring anything home, and then check them regularly. Even then, stay on good terms with your neighbors--your critters WILL get out sooner or later, and you will need your neighbors' forbearance or even help.

A great beginner's resource is: http://www.amazon.com/Storeys-Guide-Rai ... 1603424547
(Other local farmers will also be (usually) a good and willing source of advice, but they have limited time and if you can get a little book-learning in as well, you will be able to pick things up more quickly).

Good luck, and keep us posted!

:wave:

Well I have a couple things to share:

1. I did some fencing this weekend. I really had a lot of fun. It felt good to get out and do some physical work. I'm usually at a desk. It was my first time cleaning out a fence row. I got one side of my small lot cleared out (probably 30 or 40 yards long). All of our fences are completely grown-up with weeds, trees, thorns, etc. etc.) I took a chainsaw and a weed-eater-blade thingy and attacked it like an animal. It was really rewarding. Three more sides, and I'll be ready to fix the fence and add a hot-wire and a couple of gates.

2. We bought a tractor yesterday. I'm don't understand all the tractor-lingo yet, but it's a 35 Massey Ferguson. 1958 model. It has a three-point hitch and the previous owner changed it from a 6-volt to a 12-volt (and a few other things). It started and drove great. I think it will be a good piece of equipment for us. Does anyone have experience with this tractor?

Well I just wanted to share these things with you all. I'm really having fun with this stuff.

I spent thousands of hours on one of those little red tractors pulling a hay rake (after it had been retired from pulling the square baler). Good tractors.

south0085":3l30kvis said:
Thank you for your time. My Dad and I just purchased an 8 acre mini-farm. We are wanting to put a few head of cattle on the land. We want weaned cattle that we can fatten up to sell. I have some basic questions. I am new to farming. I am not looking to get rich. We hope to make a dollar or two, but this will be something that my Dad and I enjoy doing together and also something that we can give to my son as he grows up.

1. Can the cattle eat grass only? Or do I need to supplement with some kind of feed?

2. If they need feed, how do I know which kind and how much?

3. Do I need hay bails for them to eat everyday?

3. What is a good type of cattle for us to start with? We live in Central Kentucky.

In the next couple of weeks, I am visiting with a couple of farmers that I go to church with to ask them everything that I can. But in the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

Thank you again for all your help.

That small amount of land I would say maybe a couple of Dexter Cattle..

Arkansas":3ilhitjk said:
south0085":3ilhitjk said:
Thank you for your time. My Dad and I just purchased an 8 acre mini-farm. We are wanting to put a few head of cattle on the land. We want weaned cattle that we can fatten up to sell. I have some basic questions. I am new to farming. I am not looking to get rich. We hope to make a dollar or two, but this will be something that my Dad and I enjoy doing together and also something that we can give to my son as he grows up.

1. Can the cattle eat grass only? Or do I need to supplement with some kind of feed?

2. If they need feed, how do I know which kind and how much?

3. Do I need hay bails for them to eat everyday?

3. What is a good type of cattle for us to start with? We live in Central Kentucky.

In the next couple of weeks, I am visiting with a couple of farmers that I go to church with to ask them everything that I can. But in the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

Thank you again for all your help.

That small amount of land I would say maybe a couple of Dexter Cattle..
I would recommend mini zebus over Dexters if he wants more cows. Put a lowline bull on zebu cows and you'll have good beef calves to sell privately.

I think my latest post got lost in this, so I'm going to post a new topic in a few minutes. Thanks everyone for your input.

south0085":zk3hcmpb said:
I think my latest post got lost in this, so I'm going to post a new topic in a few minutes. Thanks everyone for your input.

That old tractor have a seatbelt and roll-over bar? We had our old one retrofitted (a good friend lost her dad in a roll-over and we almost lost my granddad to one when we were kids). if you want more info PM me and I'll see if I can dig out the info. (Some states even kick in toward it through their state's farm safety program).

Latest posts