New Small Cattle Farm

Help Support CattleToday:

south0085

Reaction score
Thank you for your time. My Dad and I just purchased an 8 acre mini-farm. We are wanting to put a few head of cattle on the land. We want weaned cattle that we can fatten up to sell. I have some basic questions. I am new to farming. I am not looking to get rich. We hope to make a dollar or two, but this will be something that my Dad and I enjoy doing together and also something that we can give to my son as he grows up.

1. Can the cattle eat grass only? Or do I need to supplement with some kind of feed?

2. If they need feed, how do I know which kind and how much?

3. Do I need hay bails for them to eat everyday?

3. What is a good type of cattle for us to start with? We live in Central Kentucky.

In the next couple of weeks, I am visiting with a couple of farmers that I go to church with to ask them everything that I can. But in the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

Thank you again for all your help.

There's no single answer to your question. I suggest you have some of the cattlemen from your church come to your place to help you assess. Grass is enough if there's enough grass - and good enough grass. If not, then they need feed. Price/type/quantity? Depends on how much grass and or hay you have and, perhaps, the gestational stage of the cows. Hay? Yes if they don't have enough good grass. No if they do have enough good grass. Again, no way of knowing any of that on this side of my computer. Sorry.

Breed? If I were personally starting from scratch I would buy whatever someone was willing to help me with, but I prefer some super quiet herefords with an angus bull. No horns - no need to throw that in the mix when you're starting. Above all else - before you get anything - have a way to catch and doctor them if you have to..... and you will eventually have to so find a vet.

Don't forget salt and mineral.

south0085":2d7iwrhh said:
My Dad and I just purchased an 8 acre mini-farm.
We want weaned cattle that we can fatten up to sell. I have some basic questions.

1. Can the cattle eat grass only?
Yes
Or do I need to supplement with some kind of feed?
Probably, but it really will depend on how many head of cattle you have and the size and productivity of your land.

2. If they need feed, how do I know which kind and how much?
Price and availability along with goal will be determining factors.
Since fattening to eat is your goal some corn should be fed, unless of course grass fed beef is your goal.
Befriend a successful local farmer as a mentor to advise on local feed sourcing and pricing.

3. Do I need hay bails for them to eat everyday?
No.
But I know nothing about Kentucky winters. I assume you will need to supplement hay at least 5 months of the year.

3. What is a good type of cattle for us to start with?
Black Angus is never the wrong answer. I would advise starting with feeder steers.
2-4 head of feeder steers weaned over 3 weeks and weighing 500+ pounds would be a good place to start.

We live in Central Kentucky.
Bragging or Complaining?
Or explaining inability to correctly count past 3 and spelling bales as "bails" :lol: :lol2: Sorry, couldn't help myself

In the next couple of weeks, I am visiting with a couple of farmers that I go to church with to ask them everything that I can.
Excellent idea.
Again I apologize for poking fun of minor numbering and spelling error. :tiphat: Best of luck to you. - Butch

Thank you for the input, everyone. Very funny, Butch.

We were thinking of putting 5 head on the farm.

Angus9259. You are on point. I was just researching the cattle catchers this morning. I'm definitely going to need one. You mentioned salt and mineral. How is this given to the cattle? Via a salt block and a mineral block?

I don't think the grass on our land is anything special. It's all grown up and has been neglected for a while. What are some ideas for making the grass better for the animals to eat?

In Kentucky, we have all four seasons. Our winters can be harsh, but nothing like the north. Our temps drop to around zero or single digits and we get snow. Last year we got a significant amount of snow. The farm has a barn on it with several stalls and a loft above it.

Thank you again.

Surprised you haven't gotten more replies.

Do you have any pics? Everybody likes pics...

I have nothing really to add (I'm a "beginner") but you state you would like to make a couple of bucks, cattle were designed to eat grass anyway, and grass is cheap, so that is a no brainer as far as not buying "feed". You will need hay in the winter, but why winter them over at all, buy in spring, sell in fall, if I had half a brain I would be doing that.

They tell me there is money to be made selling "grass fed" beef, I have yet to sell any but we have tons of people asking all the time about it, we could sell everything we have today probably. And you can charge a premium, won't have to worry about what the market is doing then.

Thank you, Kell-inKY. That is exactly what we are planning on doing. Buy weaned calve steers in the spring. Fatten them up and sell them in the fall. Probably black angus, based on what farmers at work are telling me.

I do have some general pics of the farm. I've only been there a couple of times. I'll learn how to post pics and put some on here later today.

I hadn't heard about the grass-fed option. I'll have to look into that. As I said though, our pasture is probably not the best quality of grass right now. It might be, but I'm just doubting it. We are going to get it bush-hogged (spelling) soon and then go from there.

That reminds me of another question (for everyone). Do my fence rows need to be completely cleaned out before I put cattle in there next spring? Or does that matter?

You asked about salt and mineral earlier. Keep both out at all times; they'll only eat what they need. Blocks are better than nothing, but the loose kind that comes in 50lb bags is better if you have a place you can feed it where it's out of the rain.

have you checked into what a weaned ~450lb steer calf will cost you now, and what an 850lb steer is selling for now? check some auction sites for current pricing.

then, if you're happy with that profit, as yourself what happens if beef cattle prices go down 10% between now and fall. i'm a beginner also. but i have quickly come to realize there ain't much money to be made in a small outfit like i am capable of running. i have ulterior motives, so it'll be ok for me if i don't make a dime. but if you're just in it looking to make a little money, you may be in for a surprise.

SJB - Here's a quote from my original post:

"We hope to make a dollar or two, but this will be something that my Dad and I enjoy doing together and also something that we can give to my son as he grows up."

I'm not "in it looking to make a little money". But thanks for the input.

Rafter S - I'm confused. Do the cattle need salt AND mineral separately? Or do these come in the same bag/block?

Thank you.

you're right, i didn't mean to sound bad, and shouldn't have typed that last sentence in my post. there are many of us on here trying to do exactly what you want to do, me included. i just wanted to point out, it may actually cost you money instead of making any money at all. after studying the business and process, and getting input from a lot of good folks on here and locally, i am certain it's going to cost me money. but like you, i have children involved, and other reasons for wanting to do it.

i will tell you what we have realized is going to work best for us. we have a neighbor in the business on a fairly large scale. he's going to help us get our pasture, fence, water, etc up to snuff. in exchange, he's gonna run a few head on us. we will have the opportunity to buy some of those and run them with his. we get a little skin in the game, we get a little experience, and he gets room to expand his operation a little bit more. that might be something you could consider, and if so, it would have a ton of benefits.

Minerals are fairly deficient in our area to. Make a good mineral, a top priority.

We have five cows and one bull on rotational pastures of about 2.5 to 3 acres each. They never eat the grass down all the way before we move them. If you want to run hotwire, you will have to clear fencelines first, but if you have good tight fence you'll probably be okay without. You asked about supplemental feed, we feed about 1.5 to 2 pounds per head of three way during breeding and for the first six months after the cows get pregnant, then up it to 3 pounds per head near the end of pregnancy. We bale feed in the winter and occasionally will throw out a bale in the summer more for them to roll around and lay on than eat, because our grass has good nutrition. An old-timer told me a good way to increase the quality of your grass is to add untreated clover seed to any supplemental grain you feed; the cows will eat it and then "scatter" it through the pasture to increase your clover stand. I'm guessing you could do it with any type of untreated grass or legume to improve pasture.

Good luck! :)

No problem, SJB. I understand. And thank you for all the advice. That's a really good idea. I haven't met my neighbors yet, but it's mostly farm land around me, so that could very well be an option. Although I see more crops than I do cows. But I'll keep that in mind.

TCFRH - Thank you for your input. So, do you think it's a bad idea to put all 5 or 6 of my cattle on the whole 8 acres? Is it better to rotate them? If so, I will need some more fencing. Right now, it's all one open area. A guy at work mentioned the 3-way feed. Sounds like it's good stuff. When I get my cattle, they will be just weaned. So I guess I would feed 2lb per day, and then up to 3lbs once they get a little bigger??? I too, was thinking of putting some bales of hay out in the summer. I guess it can't hurt anything.

I'll definitely check out the clover thing. I'm sure my pasture could use some help. Thanks for that tip.

south0085":10rxknms said:
So, do you think it's a bad idea to put all 5 or 6 of my cattle on the whole 8 acres? Is it better to rotate them? If so, I will need some more fencing. Right now, it's all one open area.
Nooooo, I did not say that! :lol: Rotational grazing and cross-fencing is a purely personal choice and you will find many different opinions on it. You have to decide what works best for you (and your budget).

south0085":10rxknms said:
A guy at work mentioned the 3-way feed. Sounds like it's good stuff. When I get my cattle, they will be just weaned. So I guess I would feed 2lb per day, and then up to 3lbs once they get a little bigger???
I upped the feed for my girls on the advice of my feed guy, it's been a hot summer and they were getting a little more 4 than I liked for being in 3rd period. They're all 5-6 now and getting close to calving. A good feed guy is worth his weight in...feed?

Forgot to mention mineral...we have mineral out and a white salt block in a mineral feeder. We tried fly mineral, same brand as the regular mineral our cows "like", and they won't touch the fly mineral. Find what works for you and your cattle will eat, and discard what they don't.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I have some additional questions. I talked to one of the hobby-farmers that I know this weekend. I got a lot of information in a short amount of time, so I hope I pass this on correctly. He said he feeds his 7 cattle about 4 gallons of feed per day.

1. I guess it depends on how much grass they eat, but is [1gallon of feed per head, per day] a good estimation of feed amounts? Which brings me to another question. Do they need feed every day, or can you let them eat grass and then give them feed every other day? With 5 head of black angus, I was figuring on about 700 lbs of feed per month. The feed price is around $10-15 here. (I haven't actually checked that. Just based on what people say).

2. Since I will have the cattle from spring to fall (no cold weather), I'm guessing I will only need a few bales of hay. Is there a certain number per head that I should plan on needing?

3. We have a pond on our farm, but it looks like it needs to be re-dug and we also need to see where the water is coming from. I walked down into the pond (still has tall weeds in it) and I saw some black pipe coming out of the ground. I'm assuming that has something to do with the water source. In the meantime, we are going to put some troughs of water out. Can I put these by the barn (in the corner of the farm) and let the cows come to it? Or should I put the water troughs in the middle of the farm?

4. Our farm has good fencing already on it. My Dad and I walked it, and there were only a few small areas that need to be fixed. It's barb-wire fencing. The farmer I talked to recommended I put a string of hot wire (electric) in front of the barb wire. He said cattle will push on the fence if they want to get to grass on the other side. But the hot wire will prevent that for the most part. Is this true?

Sorry so many questions. Thank you for all the help and advice! Much appreciated.

south0085":jlh2xn0b said:
Thanks for the info, everyone. I have some additional questions. I talked to one of the hobby-farmers that I know this weekend. I got a lot of information in a short amount of time, so I hope I pass this on correctly. He said he feeds his 7 cattle about 4 gallons of feed per day.

1. I guess it depends on how much grass they eat, but is [1gallon of feed per head, per day] a good estimation of feed amounts? Which brings me to another question. Do they need feed every day, or can you let them eat grass and then give them feed every other day? With 5 head of black angus, I was figuring on about 700 lbs of feed per month. The feed price is around $10-15 here. (I haven't actually checked that. Just based on what people say).
If you are grain-finishing, that is probably right. I pay around $7.85/50# bag ($314 a ton) for three way. Would be cheaper if I bought in bulk but I don't have a bulk bin.

2. Since I will have the cattle from spring to fall (no cold weather), I'm guessing I will only need a few bales of hay. Is there a certain number per head that I should plan on needing?
If they have good pasture, they will eat 1 bale/week or less.

3. We have a pond on our farm, but it looks like it needs to be re-dug and we also need to see where the water is coming from. I walked down into the pond (still has tall weeds in it) and I saw some black pipe coming out of the ground. I'm assuming that has something to do with the water source. In the meantime, we are going to put some troughs of water out. Can I put these by the barn (in the corner of the farm) and let the cows come to it? Or should I put the water troughs in the middle of the farm?
The black pipe is probably overflow. I wouldn't depend on pond water for cattle, and in fact, my cattle have no access to our ponds. I am too worried about them getting stuck or the water being bad. Our trough has a float and is up by our barn, our cattle will come from way out in the pasture to drink. I have it as close to the water hydrant as possible since I don't want to run miles of hose, and the float so I don't have to fill it. If you're filling from a nurse truck, I guess it doesn't matter where you put the trough though.

4. Our farm has good fencing already on it. My Dad and I walked it, and there were only a few small areas that need to be fixed. It's barb-wire fencing. The farmer I talked to recommended I put a string of hot wire (electric) in front of the barb wire. He said cattle will push on the fence if they want to get to grass on the other side. But the hot wire will prevent that for the most part. Is this true?
The cattle will push a fence, especially high tensile or barbed wire, if it's not hot. All the weeds and trash need to be out of the fence though to make sure that the hotwire stays hot, and buy a good energizer (bigger than you think you need).

south0085":3s4agmnb said:
With 5 head of black angus, I was figuring on about 700 lbs of feed per month.
Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not trying to turn you off here, but.....

I'm still not sure why you want to feed them grain? Looks like any profit you were wanting would be eaten up right there, and if you aren't doing it for profit, why waste the money? 8 acres around here will support 5 head of young cattle no problem, even weedy ground, without ever having to buy an ounce of grain. Plus, they were designed to eat grass, not grain. Save it to bribe them when they get out.

I personally would see how the fence does before adding electric, but if decide to, it's pretty simple later on.

I would put my watering trough by the barn because you don't want to haul water all the time. I've seen plenty of people with ponds, and I keep my cattle on ponds every chance I get, I hate watering them, they are either breaking something, or I forget and do something stupid and make a mess.

Joel Salatin on feeding grass: https://youtu.be/ZBSJv3qCiNw?t=1m23s