New % Simmy bull calf by Built Right

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
This is our newest calf only an hour or so old in the picture. He is a Built Right out of a first calf heifer. His dam is out of our herd bull which is a Dream Catcher X Triple C Queens Supreme cow. He is 3/4 Simmy with good genetics behind him but probably too much chrome for most bull buyers. We were hoping for a heifer but that doesn`t always work out. Still I think he`s a pretty nice calf.

Beautiful calf. Built Right is great genetics especially as a cow maker.

Don't despair on the chrome. There are some buyers looking for chrome.

Yep, that's a Built Right calf. Here in Angus country several might love to have him for a bull. I've got a chromed up Simmental bull calf a little girl felt in love with and wants it for a show calf. I just don't know if I want to deal with a show calf. Got to decide here soon, anyway that could be another avenue you could possibly go with him.

I will say that unless someone wants him for a show steer we will take our chances and keep him a bull. Maybe try to sell him next year. I really don`t think he needs to go to the sale barn with those genetics in him in my opinion.

Yep, advance the Simmental breed backwards some more. Genetics? Phenotype and traits are what matters, you never know he might be a trend setter for the new Simmental breed.

Well someone must like Built Right genetics or his semen wouldn`t be selling at $150 - $165 a straw at auction so to each his own. It`s really hard to say what a young calf will look like in a year he may not be worth keeping but I`m willing to take a chance but only time will tell.

jd720":1hdy76tb said:
Well someone must like Built Right genetics or his semen wouldn`t be selling at $150 - $165 a straw at auction so to each his own. It`s really hard to say what a young calf will look like in a year he may not be worth keeping but I`m willing to take a chance but only time will tell.

Price means nothing, a fool and their money is soon departed. I'll ask you the same question I asked Ron, does that animal represent what a Simmental should look like?

True Grit Farms":3cdttxkd said:
jd720":3cdttxkd said:

Price means nothing, a fool and their money is soon departed. I'll ask you the same question I asked Ron, does that animal represent what a Simmental should look like?

jd720 should respond and I hope I don't preclude his doing so.

Question for you Grit: what are the negative consequences of jd and I selling our "overly chromed" cattle? I assume you want them castrated to elimate what many breeders consider negative characteristics. I understand that. But "what if" these cattle are going into use in a manner where their genetics are terminated?

You cannot assume that because a person is in possession of registered livestock that he is obligated to follow a set of standards that you have in your mind. BTW: what are those standards?

I am asking you to provide a clear credible response. I am not asking this to "set you off". I want to understand why this issue is so important to you.

I would like to clarify my previous response. He would make a steer on my farm because I would NOT have a market for him as a bull. Besides, like this year, I had 18 bulls and only kept 5 in tact. So, it would be foolish of me to keep a hard item to sell. Having white legs does not make him a poor Simmental. If you breed white face bulls to white face cows, you are going to end up with extra chrome. It doesn't make them any less quality. As a steer, it makes them more desirable. You have the great muscle, & growth of a Simmental, with flash.

A nice calf and I wouldn't let the opinions of a few who think they should be police on what color pattern he should have influence my decision. I would watch him develop and then make my decision. That is what I did with the yearling bull I raised last year and just turned out with a few head this past weekend. He still isn't home safe but feel now he stands a good chance of making a bull that will move our program forward in certain areas. I have culled them even after they were past two y/o. There is never a guarantee how they will turn out but with the good genetics he has he stands a good chance of being something that someone will want. If breeding to PB Angus his color wouldn't bother me.

I think a registered animal used for breeding purposes should have the proper traits, phenotype for the breed. At least you have the market cornered, you can call them black Hereford's, Simmental, SimAngus, or Baldies. I do think he'll work good on Angus cows.
What's right is right and that's just how I feel.

True Grit Farms":3luj4fze said:
I think a registered animal used for breeding purposes should have the proper traits, phenotype for the breed. At least you have the market cornered, you can call them black Hereford's, Simmental, SimAngus, or Baldies. I do think he'll work good on Angus cows.

And what IS the proper traits of the Simmental breed Grit????? You seem to have standards that the breed does not acknowledge. Show me where it says an ideal Simmental should be solid black, or black with a white face? Or even Black??? YOU might put that label on the Simmental breed, but others do not. There are lots of breeders out there that like that extra chrome.

jd720":14pf8uoq said:

I just sold 3 straws at auction for $125 a straw! I paid $25 for it when I bought it years ago. Built Right makes fantastic females, but there is a reason why you do not see many bulls out there sired by Built Right. We have had a few, and all got the knife because they would not make good bulls... lacked power. I hope your bull turns out, but do not be disappointed if he does not. We put one Built Right steer in the carcass contest a few years ago, and he did really well.

For what it's worth, we do not cut our bulls until we wean them. I want to see what they turn into before I use the knife.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1coi8xd3 said:
True Grit Farms":1coi8xd3 said:

And what IS the proper traits of the Simmental breed Grit????? You seem to have standards that the breed does not acknowledge. Show me where it says an ideal Simmental should be solid black, or black with a white face? Or even Black??? YOU might put that label on the Simmental breed, but others do not. There are lots of breeders out there that like that extra chrome.

Well, Simmental were red - tan with white spots at one time "original" , then more red "Limo", then black "Angus", then black baldie "Hereford" now the Simmental is the most watered down breed out there. The Simmental beed is nothing but a crossbred cow with no uniformity left in it's bloodlines. You folks that breed Simmental cattle have no clue what the calf is going to look like. To each their own, and that's just the way I see it.

True Grit Farms":22k62k40 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":22k62k40 said:
True Grit Farms":22k62k40 said:

Well, Simmental were red - tan with white spots at one time "original" , then more red "Limo", then black "Angus", then black baldie "Hereford" now the Simmental is the most watered down breed out there. The Simmental beed is nothing but a crossbred cow with no uniformity left in it's bloodlines. You folks that breed Simmental cattle have no clue what the calf is going to look like. To each their own, and that's just the way I see it.

Then stop telling us what they are suppose to be. Pretty simple Grit.

Your posts are contradictory. You keep whining about the white, now you say they can be anything. I personally don't get concerned about their ancestral history. Most breeds share the same issues.

Latest posts