Help Support CattleToday:

edde_1

Reaction score
DSC00021.jpg

´Comments please!

How old is he??? He seems real tall....to be honest I don't really care for him

K2011":q0o5d8nw said:
How old is he??? He seems real tall....to be honest I don't really care for him

He needs to be tall. Did you see all that snow?

Seriously he's a nice bull, maybe a little more leg than I like. But a nice bull nevertheless

Tall one. He is not a swayback. Are sims always so big headed?

I dont use sims becouse they are way too big for me. My friend bought a herd of sims from sweden. They were huge and they ate "40%" more than my herefords (same amount of cows). I think that simcalves werent big enough to "close the cap" in costs. Just my opinion.....

P.A.L":1jy8ybbo said:

I dont use sims becouse they are way too big for me. My friend bought a herd of sims from sweden. They were huge and they ate "40%" more than my herefords (same amount of cows). I think that simcalves werent big enough to "close the cap" in costs. Just my opinion.....

Generally I agree with your statement, but when you use the right type of simmental in conditions that suits them, they don't have many rivals when it comes to calf raising ability.

This specific bull is one that will require very good conditions for his daughters to be as efficient as their more moderate counterparts. He has some good points, but overall more depth and capacity wouldn't have hurt him one bit.

That is one heck of a birthweight. But due to the weather there they probably have to supplement the cows more during the winter time than they do here thus the larger birthweight. That would probably be equivalent to 85 pound or less birthweight here. Still that is high though and I would be apprehensive about breeding him to small framed cows or any cows for that matter.

He isn´t as good as this halfbrother i bougth last year But my "bullaccount" is overlimited :D now, so this one is good enough this year.
He has a smaler kind of granddad than his halfbroter and i hope to get some nice replacementheifers after him. Gonna use him in my big sim x char cows.

Halfbrother
DSC00262.jpg

I must say though, seeing the other pics at different angles...he does look a lot better then I previously thought -- still a little tall but I guess that does help him in the snow

KNERSIE":2b198rfi said:
P.A.L":2b198rfi said:

Generally I agree with your statement, but when you use the right type of simmental in conditions that suits them, they don't have many rivals when it comes to calf raising ability.

This specific bull is one that will require very good conditions for his daughters to be as efficient as their more moderate counterparts. He has some good points, but overall more depth and capacity wouldn't have hurt him one bit.

Knersie
How much of your perceived lack of depth and capacity would disapear if this bulls legs were 3 in shorter. Is it possible it's a matter of perception because of his height. BTW no one has giben him credit for his excellant topline.

3waycross":o28fh3aj said:
KNERSIE":o28fh3aj said:
P.A.L":o28fh3aj said:

Knersie
How much of your perceived lack of depth and capacity would disapear if this bulls legs were 3 in shorter. Is it possible it's a matter of perception because of his height. BTW no one has giben him credit for his excellant topline.

Offcourse depth and capacity is a proportional thing, but even short bulls can lack those qualities and tall bulls can have them. An animal needs to have a certain balance (not only in physical dimensions, but also production traits) to be efficient and not to create other problems (like calving difficulty, hard keepers, etc, for instance). Look at the length of his head compared to his chest depth and ask yourself again whether he is deep enough and adequately in balance?

On the leg length issue... the length of his cannon bone indicates that he is a taller later maturing type, but not extremely so. I don't think he is a frame 9 or 10, more likley a 7 - 7.5, but we don't have actual measurements or even something to use as a reference so its little more than a guess based on experience from looking at thousands of cattle.

He has more good than just his topline, the poster asked for comments and I've commented, doesn't mean you have to necceserily agree with my opinion.

I didn't necessarily disagree. I was just asking a question. Thanks for your answer.
I've posted pictures here of the kind of Simentals I like.

First I use Black Simmental bulls. Seems like my bulls have the look of a big head also but it does not transfer into the Xbred calves and causes no calving problems.
The bull in the picture has a really good topline and a lot of muscle. A little more birthweight than I like but really like the growth. I do like the 7 frame and I use them on 5-5.5 frame cows with no problem. I actually like him better that the second one.