New Sim bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Embryo calf out of Executive Order and an OBCC Legend cow. Bought a couple bulls from this breeder last year and wanted to buy a full brother to this bull then, but the breeder wanted to keep him for a cleanup.

Pretty excited about him. I like his phenotype and his epds check all the blocks. When I went to look at him in a group of 13-14 other bulls I noticed that he seemed the most standoffish. Not aggressive really but very alert. I was a little worried about his docility especially when I saw that he was in the bottom 90% for this epd. So far though he hasn't given me any issues or concerns. He loaded good and hasn't acted out any when I feed him.

Lazy M said:
Pretty excited about him. I like his phenotype and his epds check all the blocks. When I went to look at him in a group of 13-14 other bulls I noticed that he seemed the most standoffish. Not aggressive really but very alert. I was a little worried about his docility especially when I saw that he was in the bottom 90% for this epd. So far though he hasn't given me any issues or concerns. He loaded good and hasn't acted out any when I feed him.

Some of the Executive Order cattle can be a bit high strung/alert.

76 Bar said:
Help me translate what "standoffish", "high strung" and "alert" describes.

I assume you are being a bit sarcastic here.

In case you are not. See the below definition of high-strung

adjective: high-strung
nervous and easily upset.
"a high-strung racing thoroughbred"
Similar:
nervous
excitable
agitated
temperamental
sensitive
unstable

76 Bar said:
I assume you are being a bit sarcastic here.
Not at all. Dictionary definitions aside, how do you extrapolate those terms into the recognized assorted designations for cattle behavior?
https://simmental.org/site/index.php/disposition-scoring-reporting
Good link. I haven't had this bull in a head gate yet but I'd imagine that he'd score a 3 on that scale. His herdmates would have been 1 or 2's. I have no concern with this bulls individual docility but his offspring may be worse when combined with a few of my wild cows.

Glad you appreciated the link. I'm not convinced that chute behavior should be the gold standard for disposition scoring but its a starting point. When possible observing behavior of bulls at their point of origin and/or their sales venue /videos is usually more enlightening. Bare in mind as a young bull his docility EPD is yet to be proven and wether or not he can leave progeny that mitigates your admittedly less than kindly dispositions is a crap shoot. He's nonetheless a handsome guy. Good luck!

LazyM thought you might find the following regarding disposition evaluations helpful as well.

https://www.grandin.com/behaviour/principles/assessment.temperament.html
https://www.pharocattle.com/wp-content/uploads/html/Spring-Catalog-2016/pg13.htm

If I'm not mistaken the original link I posted was the result of research originally published by BIF years ago and adopted by numerous breed associations who recognized docility issues were inherent in their respective breeds and made an attempt to rectify the problem by providing breeder's an opportunity to select for calmer/more bidable genetics. Goes without saying, even gentle can be made incorrigible by poor handling. 8)

Latest posts