New Show Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
This ain't my only steer this year, but this is my show steer for the year. For those of you who are ticked at me for criticizing any cattle you have, go ahead and unload here. You can tell me his feet don't point perfectly straight, but he's acceptable.

IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

That calf is gonna be a wreck on that front end when he gets heavy. He's a fair animal but there's enough holes in him to make him look like a piece of cottage cheese. He's a round hipped, short necked, shallow flanked, weak topped steer.

He's a fair animal but there's enough holes in him to make him look like a piece of cottage cheese.

maybe swiss :???:

Thanks cowboy! I'll send ya pictures with our purple ribbon. :D (I don't expect that kind of performance) I didn't buy him 'cause he was perfect. I bought him because I could afford him. My side profile isn't too flattering, but he'll be just fine. I can't help the way he stands in that 3/4 pic either. Take a bit at easy. For the record, I ain't tickled with his front end, but I got what I got. On the other hand, thanks for the criticism.

Cowboy 2.0":37k5eni5 said:
That calf is gonna be a wreck on that front end when he gets heavy. He's a fair animal but there's enough holes in him to make him look like a piece of cottage cheese. He's a round hipped, short necked, shallow flanked, weak topped steer.

My assessment exactly.

blackcowz":2n8o0zn1 said:
Thanks cowboy! I'll send ya pictures with our purple ribbon. :D (I don't expect that kind of performance) I didn't buy him 'cause he was perfect. I bought him because I could afford him. My side profile isn't too flattering, but he'll be just fine. I can't help the way he stands in that 3/4 pic either. Take a bit at easy. For the record, I ain't tickled with his front end, but I got what I got. On the other hand, thanks for the criticism.

Most people do not care for my opinion and you probably wont but if you cannot afford any better you have no business showing in my opinion as that will just lead to disappointment down the road when you go up against the 3500 dollar and higher heifers and steers and they whip the crap out of your animal. You get beat enough times and you will feel like your animal is worthless and truthfully it is.

Gee willikars, some of you folks are brutal. Try going out and buying expensive steers year after year with out making a profit. That'll cure ya. Sure this steer has some problems, but I've seen worse that make sale and $ profit $. At the end of the day very few of those $5000.00 and up steers make a profit. Many of them win little or nothing. Just the walk of shame around the ring. What this steer ends up doing really depends on where he is going.

Avalon":1ewymmlt said:
Gee willikars, some of you folks are brutal. Try going out and buying expensive steers year after year with out making a profit. That'll cure ya. Sure this steer has some problems, but I've seen worse that make sale and $ profit $. At the end of the day very few of those $5000.00 and up steers make a profit. Many of them win little or nothing. Just the walk of shame around the ring. What this steer ends up doing really depends on where he is going.

Ive bought expensive show heifers for 3500-5000 dollars each and have flushed them and sold flushes out of em etc and have made my money back and then some.

I will agree with the comments on his shoulders, they might cause some problems for him, and he is round. He might grow out ok for you though. And don't worry about how much you spend, I paid $900 for a steer a couple years ago that won every show I took him to including the state fair.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":21ie16rq said:
Avalon":21ie16rq said:

Ive bought expensive show heifers for 3500-5000 dollars each and have flushed them and sold flushes out of em etc and have made my money back and then some.

I've paid a bit for a good show heifer even flushed a couple and made some change. But We're talking about a steer. The heifer is the factory, The steer is the end product. I dont begrudge anyone who has the jack to pay. I'm just saying that buying the expensive ones is not the only way to go. and when it comes to steers it's all a crap shoot anyway. You have them one year and they are gone. Usually you have one chance (some states up to 3) Unless you're well to do it doesnt always make sense to go out there and throw down the big bucks. The majority of people will always have to be contenet with hitting a sale slot. They must be mindful of what kind of money that sale slot will bring them, Unles of course all they need is the fame.

Sometimes I wonder if people have ever really seen a "bad" structured animal. Now I'm all for taking criticism. I'm sure this steer will go straight to the bottom of the class with all the cat-hammed and hay bellied Angus and Hereford at our fair. Not. I guess I'll go with the Aussies on this one. The steer will be dead when we're done. If he can walk to the ring and back and the same distance for the sale, that's all I care. Won't get to keep his legs anyhow. He has muscle and shape, and that's more than I can say for last year's steers. Plus, he has hair. I'm just excited I have a show steer this year.

This is a lousy picture, but look at it and tell me he's "round hipped".
IMG_3376.jpg

I've seen plenty of poor structured calves. Btw, getting up higher does not hide the fact that he drops from hooks to pins.

Cowboy 2.0":348um7ti said:
I've seen plenty of poor structured calves. Btw, getting up higher does not hide the fact that he drops from hooks to pins.

Previous picture before I took these. Taken from the same height. Anyhow, I accept he's got horrible structure and am prepared to fail with him. Good thing I'm producing better stuff in the pasture. :tiphat:

blackcowz":3ay5e7pb said:
Cowboy 2.0":3ay5e7pb said:

Previous picture before I took these. Taken from the same height. Anyhow, I accept he's got horrible structure and am prepared to fail with him. Good thing I'm producing better stuff in the pasture. :tiphat:

Meh, I've taken some sh!te steers to shows before and done nothing but I was glad to have one at all. Learning what you don't want is just as important as what you do want IMO. Next years prospects exciting?

Precisley, Aussie_Cowgirl makes the best point here! "but I was glad to have one at all. " My problem with all the negative criticism is that many of you folks fail to point that he is still a nice steer and has some positive attributes. I've seen much worse.

Now I know you big time steerjocks have been to enough sales to have noticed that there are calves priced from the hundreds to the tens of thousands, not everyone can afford the high dollar ones, in fact most people can't. What you try to do is find one that fits your budget and you think will compete. This calf might have been the best calf for the money that he found, fix the front end on the calf price goes up a grand or more, square of the hip calf goes up even more, now add a little extinction to the neck. Calf is bought buy a trader and sold down the road for way more than BC could pay.
At most sales it is the mid range calves that are hard to sift from, you have lighter muscled plainer calves but their as sound as a cat, then you have the clubbier looking calves that really catch your eye at first but at closer look you will find problems and they will almost always be structure. BC made his choice based of his idea of what it will take in his area to compete, I hope that the calf doesn't breakdown as it matures and he is competitive.

Now you have to admit we have had a lot worse posted here, but yes this calf is by no means perfect, but the only thing that I would worry about is his frontend as he matures, if he holds together he should beat the plainer made calves. JMO

Latest posts