New Show Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, thanks folks. Ya, the reason I bought him is because he was the best steer for that money that was available that day. Not the best of all time by a long shot, but he's a fun little dude, and I think we're gonna have some fun showing him. As I stated before, this is not my centerpiece cattle operation. I raise maternal genetics myself, and will perhaps be taking care of some ET calves this coming year. But as for raising the clubbies myself, it just doesn't fit my program. As VCC said, the steers that were stronger in his weaknesses were out of my price range. So, I took the next best calf and I'm not out on the street doing drugs. Seems like a good deal to me.

show time":1fak9z7k said:
Wow Keren that sure was funny...guess you all don't trim hoofs?

Not many trim here in the west unless they're on irrigated pasture. The soil combined with good confirmation means the feet are fine naturally.

He's abit weak toped and that will only get worse with weight but for the most part I think he's a middle of the pack steer.

I guess it depends on what pack you're running with, he might be at the back, middle or front. I would like to see him standing naturally without his head tied.
At our county fair and at BC's target weight "1150" he would win his class, he would not make it to champion drive, all the heavy hitters are between 1250 and 1350. There are a lot of average or bellow average calves in the lower and higher weight ranges.

show time":2mgaftov said:

If you pay attention at all to my posts, you would know that

a) Yes we trim the feet of our show cattle
b) Because we have our show team locked into 1/4 acre pens with really soft soil, their feet grow a little long and need to be done
c) Our animals are structurally correct, and we dont trim them to correct structural faults, just overgrowth from a lack of opportunity to naturally wear

I just dont think your one line comment to the original poster was at all helpful, so I answered it with a one line comment of my own that was just as helpful. Perhaps you could explain your statement a little more and why it is relevant to the discussion?

Keren":18x3e47f said:
show time":18x3e47f said:

If you pay attention at all to my posts, you would know that

a) Yes we trim the feet of our show cattle
b) Because we have our show team locked into 1/4 acre pens with really soft soil, their feet grow a little long and need to be done
c) Our animals are structurally correct, and we dont trim them to correct structural faults, just overgrowth from a lack of opportunity to naturally wear

I just dont think your one line comment to the original poster was at all helpful, so I answered it with a one line comment of my own that was just as helpful. Perhaps you could explain your statement a little more and why it is relevant to the discussion?

I'm sure you understand that I donnot have the time or desire to read ALL of your posts. If a person needs further assistance on a post, just ask as smart comments aren't needed.

It appears that this steer is standing on his front toes rather than on his heels. Just as horses, cattle can also have corrective foot work if done correctly. I believe trimming is needed especially with show stock as the feed is really being poured to them. A good trim job can get that calf standing up and a bit more correct. JMO

Latest posts