New Show Steer (Pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Well the search is over, bought a Show Steer this past weekend from the same farm we have the past two years. Last year we won Grand at our County Fair. Hope we fair as well this year.

I saw some nicer ones, but this one was the best balance for quality and Price I found. Just hope he turns out to be gentle enough for my 9 year old.

One thing I like about him is that he has nice hair but is as thick wet as he is dry. He is not all hair.

Rocky1.jpg

Rocky2.jpg

RockyButt1.jpg

RockyButt2.jpg

Donald, I think you've done well. He looks to have plenty of beef potentail and enough frame to carry it. Nice Calf. What are you going to feed him?

AAOK":21c6e6p0 said:
Donald, I think you've done well. He looks to have plenty of beef potentail and enough frame to carry it. Nice Calf. What are you going to feed him?

He is on the ration I got from You. Worked last year for Grand figured no reason to change it. Last years calf did not have the natural thickness and butt this one has, but the last month on feed he kicked it in gear and finished out adding more butt.

I could have spent a little more and probably got a little more balanced steer at the sale. But I try to keep the steers within a make money budget if we won Grand. Last year we only got $595.00 for Grand Market Steer and Zach still made money on him.

If anyone is curious we gave $1,000.00 for this steer. I would have probably had to bump up to $1,400.00 for a better one.

aplusmnt":35yaki1g said:
AAOK":35yaki1g said:

I could have spent a little more and probably got a little more balanced steer at the sale. But I try to keep the steers within a make money budget if we won Grand. Last year we only got $595.00 for Grand Market Steer and Zach still made money on him.
Is this normally what grand market gets? Here at EXPO the GC steer is usually 1000+ and brings upwards of $3 a pound

*Cowgirl*":33atqaxi said:
aplusmnt":33atqaxi said:
AAOK":33atqaxi said:

Is this normally what grand market gets? Here at EXPO the GC steer is usually 1000+ and brings upwards of $3 a pound

Yea our county is a pretty poor one. And are County Fair is one that everyone makes the sale compared to other Counties in area that only a select few at the top do. Usually a grand of pig, feeder, sheep, or goat bring around the same $600.00 area. We do have a select few of them connected families that get more like last year the Grand Hog got $1,000.00 to one of the riches families in the area. But they are one of the Country Club connected families they always get more than anyone else, just the way it is though.

We sold the steer for about $1.10 a pound also, because the Business that always buys the Grand wants to eat it every year. Turned out we lost our freezer beef, we were planning on eating it our self.