new show heifer questions.

Help Support CattleToday:

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
okk i got this new Char heifer, and she is quite skittish ive had her for almost 2 weeks.
and she's had a halter on the whole time, but i have yet to touch her.
ive tried petting her with the show stick but she freaks out and runs away.
she wasnt weaned when i got her but she hasnt been bawling or anything, so i think thats good.
she is a little over 7 months.
-is there a way to tell if she's ready to be touched?
(i dont want to scare her and be counterproductive.)
-how long will it take until she's weaned?
-how do i get her to let me touch her?
-how can i calm her down?
-is there a way i can get her to come closer to me?

any and all suggestions are appreciated.
4gn3u8.jpg

gabbyellepaige":1db25yjc said:
what does that mean?
deenranch":1db25yjc said:
what is her breeding?

The poster wants to know who are her parents (bloodlines).

Put a halter on her and tie her up, then use a broom to brush her legs, belly and sides. Lead her to water, and while you are watering her, have someone put her feed at her tie spot so that you lead her back to feed.

The sooner you start desensitizing her, the quicker you will be able to start teaching her to set up and walk with you.

Good luck.

I'm not positive of the website; however, find the "Ag TV" website and watch the video on halter training a calf. Watch it several times. And do it just like the video. IT WORKS!

Someone else might have the link for you!

chippie":u4bc28w1 said:
gabbyellepaige":u4bc28w1 said:
what does that mean?
deenranch":u4bc28w1 said:
what is her breeding?

The poster wants to know who are her parents (bloodlines).

Put a halter on her and tie her up, then use a broom to brush her legs, belly and sides. Lead her to water, and while you are watering her, have someone put her feed at her tie spot so that you lead her back to feed.

The sooner you start desensitizing her, the quicker you will be able to start teaching her to set up and walk with you.

Good luck.
ohh well im not sure of her bloodline as of now the guy has yet to mail us the paper work.
she wont let me touch the halter is the problem, she gets
scared and runs if i try to or anyone else for that matter.
would a comb work as good as a broom?

would a comb work as good as a broom?

The purpose of the broom is to get more distance between the two of you, ie making it less threatening for the calf and the chance of you getting hurt smaller.

Just feed her a few times a day talking to her just sitting there, she'll get used to you or get curious enough to give you or someone stronger the chance to grab the rope to tie her up. I start by tieing them up low to the ground because I believe there is less chance for the calf to hurt (or choke) itself on the rope. Once they've fought the initial fight with the halter start touching her with a broom moving closer all the time. Patience and calmness on you part is the key.

UncleLA":25lvrvb8 said:
okk the only problem with this is that the first area where he uses the show stick
i dont have one that small where im keeping my heifer
so i cant walk around in a circle while touching her non-stop.

would just sitting in her stall with her work,
maybe set some feed next to me so she has to come near me to eat?

Yes, sitting in the stall with her is the best first way to start. You have the right idea, get her some feed and put it in the stall with you and the calf. Do this for a few days. Everyday, have the feed closer to you. Before you know it, she will be eating out of your hand, and then you eventually petting her on her head. Trust needs to be built between you and the calf. She needs to know your not a booger and you not out to get her.

showstick09":3mkrnnpv said:
Yes, sitting in the stall with her is the best first way to start. You have the right idea, get her some feed and put it in the stall with you and the calf. Do this for a few days. Everyday, have the feed closer to you. Before you know it, she will be eating out of your hand, and then you eventually petting her on her head. Trust needs to be built between you and the calf. She needs to know your not a booger and you not out to get her.
okk this is what i think i shall do thank you:)

Latest posts