New Server

Help Support CattleToday:

I like that picture. Callmefence sent me a picture of a coral snake he caught. Those are infinitely more rare. Like a good fellow, he turned it lose. Just sent the picture this morning.

JMJ Farms said:
ga.prime said:
DSC02185.jpg

You aren't but about 8 miles from me. Never seen an Eastern that dark around here. He almost looks like a Western. Guess it's that black water down there!

Eastern are a rarity here and lighter colored as you mentioned.
When I was a big kid, cousin and I where playing and he got bit by a timber rattler. It messed him up and for the rest of his life he had a screwed up leg. Rattlers have had my undivided attention ever since.

Caustic Burno said:
JMJ Farms said:
ga.prime said:

You aren't but about 8 miles from me. Never seen an Eastern that dark around here. He almost looks like a Western. Guess it's that black water down there!

Eastern are a rarity here and lighter colored as you mentioned.
When I was a big kid, cousin and I where playing and he got bit by a timber rattler. It messed him up and for the rest of his life he had a screwed up leg. Rattlers have had my undivided attention ever since.

Had a friend get bit last fall by a big Eastern. Stepped right on top of him in his dog kennel about 10 one night. Actually bit him twice before he realized what happened. Luckily someone was there with him. He was very calm. Hospital was 10 min away. Before they got there he was in respiratory distress. Touch and go for 24 hours and then he started coming around. As far as I know he's fine now. Bad experience though.

I don't think Callmefence will mind me sharing his picture of the coral snake:

Red on Yellow, kill a fellow.
Red on Black, venom lack.

This is actually a nice specimen.

Bright Raven said:

That's a pretty big specimen for a coral snake. I've only ever seen one in the wild my entire life. They are pretty reclusive to the best of my knowledge. And while poisonous, they don't have fangs so he has to have loose skin or a good bit of time to kinda "knaw" in order to inject venom. I still wouldn't recommend barehanding one.

JMJ Farms said:
That's a pretty big specimen for a coral snake. I've only ever seen one in the wild my entire life. They are pretty reclusive to the best of my knowledge. And while poisonous, they don't have fangs so he has to have loose skin or a good bit of time to kinda "knaw" in order to inject venom. I still wouldn't recommend barehanding one.

we usually see two or three a year and I have only ever seen one big like that once. usually they are about pinkie finger diameter and about a foot long or so.

Hippie Rancher said:
Redgully said:
Only good snake is a dead snake!

are there any NONvenemous snakes in Australia? :D

Yeah we have quite a few python species. Around here the main python we get is the carpet python. We always leave them on their way. The main venomous ones we get are dugites and tiger snakes. Kill cows by biting them on the nose. We also get death adders, they are short and stocky and are up there with the fastest strike in the snake world. They go out at night and wait for animals to come past. Always gives you the heeby jeebies when walking around at night if you think about them. Never heard of anyone being bitten by one though.

Hippie Rancher said:
JMJ Farms said:

we usually see two or three a year and I have only ever seen one big like that once. usually they are about pinkie finger diameter and about a foot long or so.

Yep. The one I saw was only about pinkie size and maybe a foot long. Probably more like 8-9 inches. It was in a pile of bricks that I was moving about 25 years ago. Hopefully he's still growing somewhere. Beautiful snake but the only one I've ever seen. We have a bunch of king snakes around here that are similar colored but the red rings touch the black rings. I'm sure a lot of them die an unfortunate death due to misidentification.

The neighbors and I are on a mission to put rattlesnakes on the endangered species list. It hasn't worked yet but we aren't quitters. Bull snakes are required to show ID.

Dave said:
The neighbors and I are on a mission to put rattlesnakes on the endangered species list. It hasn't worked yet but we aren't quitters. Bull snakes are required to show ID.
You and your neighbors will have to up your game considerably. People in Sweetwater, Freer, Apache, Mangum, Taylor and lots of other places are way ahead of you.

Bright Raven said:

Can't like/thank you for the pic on the Beginners Board but it is a beautiful creature.

greybeard said:
Dave said:
You and your neighbors will have to up your game considerably. People in Sweetwater, Freer, Apache, Mangum, Taylor and lots of other places are way ahead of you.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

TCRanch said:
greybeard said:
Dave said:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That's a lot of snakes! Bet they make quite the racket when they get agitated

Latest posts