New season...again

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, congratulations on graduating. I can remember the excitement when I graduated in 1975 to finally be let loose to work. We did not have the support as a new graduate in those days. I went to work for an alcoholic vet who was the only other vet in the practice. At the end of my first week there I saw Bruce and his family packing up his car (they lived upstairs at the practice), they all jumped in and waved goodbye to me and said see you in 2 weeks, they were off on a holiday. I guess it was a vote of confidence in what Bruce thought of my ability. I survived but really could have done with a bit more support.
Do you have a job lined up to go to?

Ken
I'll work as a private vet in my region. Every vet gets his own teritory for routine blood checks, etc., but can provide his services for people not from his teritory too. In my region there were left only two vets working. One- my husband's dad, is already retired, but still works with some farmers, mainly with AI. I will take his teritory now. Not many work left. Just a couple bigger family farmers, barely any small ones.

New ones! Calving is getting faster!
Belgian blue sired bull calf and limousine sired heifer. Wanted bluex heifer as have one from her dam and that one is a very nice one, bull glad that everythink is okay and have an alive calf. The heifer is an exciting one for sure. Sold her dam's weanling bull calf last year for one farmer. I can see their every week weighing records, so it's interesting to see him grow. He is 11,5 months old and weighed 1424lbs today. He actually lost one month of growth last autumn, when all the grass was gone and cows went on hay. He hasn't grown in that month, but overall he still has a very good daily weight gain since birth. Really wanted a heifer from his dam and here she is.
IMG_20210402_091956.jpg
received_520039739399127.jpeg

A new one today! Bull calf by the stock bull and out of second calver.
IMG_20210403_112603.jpg
Fingers crossed that the mud will be gone soon. It's really nasty to calve when there is mud everywhere.
One girl is on 285th day, others have a week or abit more until their due dates.
That's the last calf from the bull in his first group of cows bred last year. All cows were bred and all calved in a month time. Other his calves from the second herd are due starting May.

Unfortunatelly have lost the last calf. He was strong and nursing, but one morning found him bruised and limping on two feet. Probably some cow has kicked him really bad. He had one ear bruised, so probably he had been kicked in his head. He was getting weaker and more unstable very fast.
Decided to try to put another calf with the cow, maybe she'll take it. At the moment, had three bottle fed calves, so there was what to choose from. Decided to try with the pure angus heifer. Put the dead calf's skin on the heifer yesterday and put both cow and the calf in one pen in the shed. Today the calf had taken the skin away, but that's the view we saw:
IMG_20210407_115323.jpg
And finally! That one calf which wasn't nursing and had to tube feed him, had drank his first bottle by himself. It's the 14th day for him and finally! He was putting weight on, but not nursing.

Some new calves. Tiny limx heifer and massive blondex bull calf.
IMG_20210409_163542.jpg
IMG_20210413_113332.jpg
Bull calf needed some assistance. Cow didn't managed to push the shoulders through by the time I found her. Massive bull calf, maybe 130lbs, but got up quickly and started nursing.

Some strong heifers this year.
IMG_20210505_095754.jpg
IMG_20210505_094433.jpg

My favorite this year so far. Just abit over a month old. Really fancy looking girl from a very nice young cow.
IMG_20210505_095118.jpg
IMG_20210505_094955.jpg

Latest arrivals: two limousine heifers and one bull calf.
IMG_20210505_094630.jpg
IMG_20210505_093332.jpg
IMG_20210505_093027.jpg

Almost done with AI calves. Just one or two heifers and one cow left to calve with AI calves. All other cows are due with stock bull's calves. His calves from the second herd are due in three days, but one is already on the ground- heifer with white on her head.

That charolais heifer in the second pic, if you would, ship her to Oklahoma. Im sure we can figure out how to get thru customs.😂😂
And that last heifer pic, idk if you can get anymore length on her!
Overall, nice cattle as always.🤠🐂🤠
Thank you! That last heifer sure stands out! Her dam is pretty long, but it seems that her sire added a couple more inches. There are a couple heifers from the same sire and they all show more lenght than their dams at that age.
About the charolais heifer... She's the only charolais sired heifer from our oldest cow and my mum is quite attached to her, so I'm not sure how it would work out. 😅

Last edited:

Latest posts