New saw help

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
I need a new chain saw. I plan on building a lot of new fence next year. I cut hedge (Osage Orange) posts. I won't be running a saw every day, but probably every week all winter until I get a couple hundred posts cut. I don't think I need more than a 20" bar. I'm really leaning towards a MS-400. I burned up the last 390 I had. Here's the four I'm looking at. I want a stihl. Am I over looking something? Thanks.

Product Comparison

SpecificationsMS 391MS 362MS 462 C-MMS 400 C-M
POWER SOURCEGasGasGasGas
POWERHEAD WEIGHT13.67 lbs.12.3 lbs.13.2 lbs.12.8 lbs.
GUIDE BAR LENGTH (Recommended)20 in.20 in.25 in.20 in.
OILOMATIC® CHAIN3/8" RS33/8" RS33/8" RS33/8" RS3
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY11.8 oz.11 oz.11.5 oz,11 oz.
ENGINE POWER4.4 bhp4.69 bhp6.0 bhp5.4 bhp
FUEL CAPACITY20.3 oz.20.3 oz.24.35 oz.20.3 oz.
DISPLACEMENT3.9 cu. in.3.6 cu. in.4.41 cu. in4.1 cu. in.
WEIGHT--------
OIL CAPACITY--------
POWER--------
FeaturesMS 391MS 362MS 462 C-MMS 400 C-M
Anti-Vibration System
Reduced-Emission Engine Technology - Caring For Nature
Common Features For Chainsaws
IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor
Pre-Separation Air Filtration System
Side-Access Chain Tensioner
Wrap Handle (R)
Decompression Valve
Adjustable Automatic Oiler
STIHL ElastoStart™
STIHL M-Tronic™
Wrap Handle Version (R)
STIHL Quickstop®
Ematic™ Lubrication System
Master Control Lever™
Fuel And Oil Caps With Retainers
Winter/Summer Shutter
Magnesium Alloy Piston
Excellent Power-To-Weight Ratio (12.8 Lbs./5.4 Bhp)
Modern Design
Lightweight (12.8 Lbs.)

If you're not having to walk a lot, or don't care, and got the money, a 460/461/462 has the best power to weight ratio. 400 is new saw I don't know enough about to tell you anything. 362 would be a better choice than the 390 hp/# wise.

I need a new chain saw. I plan on building a lot of new fence next year. I cut hedge (Osage Orange) posts. I won't be running a saw every day, but probably every week all winter until I get a couple hundred posts cut. I don't think I need more than a 20" bar. I'm really leaning towards a MS-400. I burned up the last 390 I had. Here's the four I'm looking at. I want a stihl. Am I over looking something? Thanks.

Product Comparison

POWER SOURCEGasGasGasGas
WEIGHT--------
OIL CAPACITY--------
POWER--------
Anti-Vibration System
Wrap Handle (R)
Decompression Valve
STIHL ElastoStart™
STIHL M-Tronic™
Wrap Handle Version (R)
STIHL Quickstop®
Master Control Lever™
Winter/Summer Shutter
Magnesium Alloy Piston
Modern Design
Lightweight (12.8 Lbs.)

Buy a re build kit around $26.60. Buy a new motor for it for $68

Hey or buy it of there on the walmart.com I think it was a little cheap. 😆

If that doesn't work buy you another one.

Naw screw that if you can't rebuild yours or put a new motor on it just got on up to a pro Ms361. They are lighter if your going to be using it alot that be better. Plus when you get tired ask your wife if it's her turn. 😉 Saw saw pass.

For your intended purpose listed and no longer than a 20" bar needed the MS362 will do the job IMO. I have owned the standard carburetor and M-Tronic version in the MS362s.

Last edited:
He listed he wanted new and unless you can find an old stock 361 in stock a hard find. In the 60cc class the 361 is my favorite.

I think I currently have 5 MS361s as here is one with only a couple tanks ever been put through.

Bn3ekz8.jpg

I'm just messing.
I meant 362 but your right not available either. If you wasn't the chain-saw hoarder. 😆

Hey for real we bought a place a while back found 3 in a barn. My husband thought about you. Haha. He remembered you always knowing about chain-saws.

Product Comparison

POWER SOURCEGasGasGasGas
WEIGHT--------
OIL CAPACITY--------
POWER--------
Anti-Vibration System
Wrap Handle (R)
Decompression Valve
STIHL ElastoStart™
STIHL M-Tronic™
Wrap Handle Version (R)
STIHL Quickstop®
Master Control Lever™
Winter/Summer Shutter
Magnesium Alloy Piston
Modern Design
Lightweight (12.8 Lbs.)
Do you need a 20 inch bar? Just thinking smaller bar lighter saw. What did you do with your old 390?

Do you need a 20 inch bar? Just thinking smaller bar lighter saw. What did you do with your old 390?
We all run 20" bars with 3 /8" pitch chain. So when I go help dad cut fire wood or go cut posts at work I can use anybody's chains.
My 390 needed a new jug. It was going to be over $400. At that time a new saw was $600. We robbed the good interchangeable parts for a 029 we have at work. Then junked the rest. That was probably 7 years ago.

For your intended purpose listed and no longer than a 20" bar needed the MS362 will do the job IMO. I have owned the standard carburetor and M-Tronic version in the MS362s.
Thank you. I have to go to town tomorrow. Going to stop at both Stihl dealers and see what kinda deal I can get.

I'd still rebuild your other one for an extra. 🙌🏾 I'd have a hard time throwing away stuff I could fix and use.

I'd have a hard time throwing away stuff I could fix and use.
Careful. I've known 'certain people' that followed that principle and in their silver years, had "I'm gonna fix that someday" crap piled up so high it took them months to get rid of it all...or their family was stuck with doing it.

Careful. I've known 'certain people' that followed that principle and in their silver years, had "I'm gonna fix that someday" crap piled up so high it took them months to get rid of it all...or their family was stuck with doing it.

Oh Lord I agree with you there. I'm not talking about junk. If it doesn't get fixed, it gets thrown out next time the garage gets cleaned. Simple.
I come from an entire line of hoarders like a family tradition!! 😖 Gives me 🤬 nightmares. Both sides the family. 🤮 I can't handle knickknack and pour junk at our place. I'll come check somebody else out.... 😆 If we are talking about something that can be used, value.... sentimental, make you happy, ect. Otherwise I don't like clutter or junk.
Yes, sometimes the someday never comes. Lots of people have many projects they don't get too... my dad was like that. He had just retired, not long before he was killed in a car wreck at 49. Same with my Step dad he had retired a year before. I'm sure like with Bigfoot he had alot of unfinished projects, jobs, ect. He was still living his life before God called him home. Like when I was telling Big Foot he should take a vacation. Or aggravating him about the ranch hand bumper. I thought they were cool bumpers until I read about the dangers of them. Its heart breaking to me he passed, even more for his family and friends... but knowing I experience that I really hate that for his family. I always say enjoy people and time not things. Call in to work play hookie spend time with your family. Do more things you enjoy and less time working making a dollar. Take a vacation, take your sick days, eat ice cream, dance in the rain. Tell the people you love you love them EVERY DAY.
😓 I'm so sad over Big Foot and didn't even know him in person. I looked forward to seeing him running for a politician.

We cleaned out peoples that have pass on. It's sad.

We all run 20" bars with 3 /8" pitch chain. So when I go help dad cut fire wood or go cut posts at work I can use anybody's chains.
My 390 needed a new jug. It was going to be over $400. At that time a new saw was $600. We robbed the good interchangeable parts for a 029 we have at work. Then junked the rest. That was probably 7 years ago.
Thanks for the explanation.

I've got a 362 and really like it, about as much saw as I care to use for an extended period of time. Never heard of a 400.

IMG_20211206_161128.jpg
Well I did it. M S 362. Stihl must set the price. Checked a regional farm store and a mom & pop place. Same price to the dollar. Since the mom & pop store also services saws, and makes & sharpens chains. I went with them. After I told the owner I'd take it, he told me he gives new saw buyers a free chisel chain. Wouldn't a got that at the other place. :)
Now no excuses why I don't have a pile of posts cut next spring.

Latest posts