New sale catalogs weekly

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
We're starting to get some of the fall catalogs in and we're working on a trip to go to Sydenstricker and Connealy this fall. Anyone headed out to Vintage or some of the other big sales? We'd love to know which sales you like and which you have tried and haven't been as interested in long term.

The local sales around us (Wilks, Cox, 44, Evans, Express) are always interesting but we haven't bought a bull from them in the last year plus (never bought from Evans yet). Express went from $B crazy with huge milk to a much more moderate, balanced EPD in their herd. You still see some 30-40 milk EPD's but not like you used to. It looks like the folks that chased that hard are using lower milk EPD bulls like HA Cowboy up and others to tamp that down a bit going forward.

hornedfrogbbq":10rn8e2b said:
We're starting to get some of the fall catalogs in and we're working on a trip to go to Sydenstricker and Connealy this fall. Anyone headed out to Vintage or some of the other big sales? We'd love to know which sales you like and which you have tried and haven't been as interested in long term.

The local sales around us (Wilks, Cox, 44, Evans, Express) are always interesting but we haven't bought a bull from them in the last year plus (never bought from Evans yet). Express went from $B crazy with huge milk to a much more moderate, balanced EPD in their herd. You still see some 30-40 milk EPD's but not like you used to. It looks like the folks that chased that hard are using lower milk EPD bulls like HA Cowboy up and others to tamp that down a bit going forward.

I am not a fan of 4M. Cattle seem temperamental. I just received a fall female catalog where they used a lot of 4M and put a big mark across each one that had 4M in pedigree.

I'm not yet been to a Conneally yet but I'm a fan. To me, they're doing something right!

Do you live in Nebraska?

NEFarmwife":26r306kl said:
hornedfrogbbq":26r306kl said:

I am not a fan of 4M. Cattle seem temperamental. I just received a fall female catalog where they used a lot of 4M and put a big mark across each one that had 4M in pedigree.

I'm not yet been to a Conneally yet but I'm a fan. To me, they're doing something right!

Do you live in Nebraska?

To follow up on 4M, just yesterday my husband went to treat a few calves for a neighbor who bought a 4M bred bull. The neighbor said "do not turn your back on him, he'll run you right thru the fence." Docility scores would tell you they're for the most part "okay" but I wouldn't chance it.

Nope, we're down in Texas. This Sydgen/Connealy "field trip" is going to be great fun for our guys. Unfortunately, I'm out of pocket that week visiting kiddos off at college. I'm really sad to miss it.

NEFarmwife":ewghz0hv said:
NEFarmwife":ewghz0hv said:
hornedfrogbbq":ewghz0hv said:

Do you live in Nebraska?

To follow up on 4M, just yesterday my husband went to treat a few calves for a neighbor who bought a 4M bred bull. The neighbor said "do not turn your back on him, he'll run you right thru the fence." Docility scores would tell you they're for the most part "okay" but I wouldn't chance it.

The sire listing they have would not have you thinking they are grumpy. Must be his cows or his husbandry?

Hornedfrog. If your going to to Connealy stop by and tour baldridge. I think you will really enjoy. It's one of my favorite places to visit

I wish I was going with the guys...it will be a hoot. A 79 year old grumpy cowboy, a 25 year old wide-eyed cowboy and the owner. Seriously...they are going to have a ball! I'll mention to them that they might want to drop by and tour. Also thought Jindra might be a good stop.

I'm about to talk myself out of seeing my daughters for Thanksgiving! wink.

hornedfrogbbq":1l98pslw said:
I wish I was going with the guys...it will be a hoot. A 79 year old grumpy cowboy, a 25 year old wide-eyed cowboy and the owner. Seriously...they are going to have a ball! I'll mention to them that they might want to drop by and tour. Also thought Jindra might be a good stop.

I'm about to talk myself out of seeing my daughters for Thanksgiving! wink.

Well, if they want to get close to some Schaff genetics, I might also add to visit Scott Angus Cattle. They're a co-op herd or whatever for Schaff. They're located in Belgrade and wouldn't be but a hop skip and a jump from all those NE visits. And seriously good people! They have some great embryos as well. Mrs. Scott is one of the best cattle women you'd ever have an opportunity to meet.

I'd have to look at 4M's catalog. Everything I viewed from other catalog, I actually pulled up their pedigree and found the docility linking to 4M.

And for what it's worth, I rely more on people telling me whether they're hot heads, than a DOC epd. We cull hard for mean girls and boys. It isn't tolerated.

NEFarmwife":4wjvn1tc said:
I'd have to look at 4M's catalog. Everything I viewed from other catalog, I actually pulled up their pedigree and found the docility linking to 4M.

And for what it's worth, I rely more on people telling me whether they're hot heads, than a DOC epd. We cull hard for mean girls and boys. It isn't tolerated.

Agree whole heartedly. We can't afford to get a person hurt. Period. Plus those skittish cows will run off when you are trying to collect them and they just make the whole process difficult. We have no patience for that...

Latest posts