New Roads, LA

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Made it to New Roads. Staying in St Francisville tonight. Navarre Beach, Florida tomorrow thru next week. Navarre vacations are my favorite down time.

my parents bought a condo in Destin in 1972. It's unbelievable how much that place has grown. It's now just a mob scene. Late August is a great time because the kids are back in school and the snowbirds have not arrived yet.

zirlottkim":2f1ykupr said:
Sextons Seafood in Destin has some fine royal reds right now.

Thank you. We'll get to Destin a few times I am sure. I'll check that out.

True Grit Farms":3l5x5je6 said:
zirlottkim":3l5x5je6 said:

Are you supplying them the shrimp? That is by far the best eating shrimp that I've tried.
Yes. I've been selling to them for years now. They insist on extreme quality, so I sell them the best of the best. They also keep the cleanest seafood retail market I have ever seen.

zirlottkim":2loopv75 said:
True Grit Farms":2loopv75 said:
zirlottkim":2loopv75 said:

Are you supplying them the shrimp? That is by far the best eating shrimp that I've tried.
Yes. I've been selling to them for years now. They insist on extreme quality, so I sell them the best of the best. They also keep the cleanest seafood retail market I have ever seen.
I never had royal reds till a few years ago. Man those things are good.

jedstivers":17datnv5 said:
zirlottkim":17datnv5 said:
True Grit Farms":17datnv5 said:

Very few boats fish for royal reds. I used to have problems with the shrimpers fishing for royal reds on the east coast trawling up my Shark gear. I figured it was Zirlottkim when he was still running his boat over here. I made a deal that I'd stay inside 50 fathoms but I still saw sharks and my gear hanging from the shrimpers nets.

True Grit Farms":w6rj0gnt said:
jedstivers":w6rj0gnt said:
zirlottkim":w6rj0gnt said:

Very few boats fish for royal reds. I used to have problems with the shrimpers fishing for royal reds on the east coast trawling up my Shark gear. I figured it was Zirlottkim when he was still running his boat over here. I made a deal that I'd stay inside 50 fathoms but I still saw sharks and my gear hanging from the shrimpers nets.
Wasnt me on the east coast of Fla. I have caught shark gear before but believe me, that is something to avoid if any way possible. What a mess.I havent been over there in years and when I was over there I was inshore rock shrimping or off Georgia white shrimping. I wasnt capable of fishing reds back then. That Gulf Stream can be vicious for trawling over there when its running at 5 knts or better. Royal reds are some of the finest eating shrimp. They are almost like a cross between a lobster and crab. Sweeter than other shrimp.They are only found very deep. 1200 ft to 1800 ft. Takes about a mile of cable to trawl those depths. At the present, there are only 3 boats in the Gulf equipped to fish them. One is mine and I buy from another one. There are several on east Coast of Fla that fish them. Grit, I know the guy you had trouble with. He can be hard to deal with.