New R-CALF President comments on NCBA

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
There seems to be a wide gap between R-CALF and NCBA. As a man who's served both organizations, will you be able to help bring them closer together?

Chuck Kiker-President elect of R-CALF:
"I don't know if anyone can bring R-CALF and NCBA closer together. In my opinion, NCBA has some serious flaws. That's one of the reasons I've gotten so involved in R-CALF. I actually felt like I was being represented through R-CALF.

NCBA's representation structure is based on money. The more money you pay in, the more representation you get. That's fine as long as you know the ground rules. Where the real conflict surfaced is when inter-industry issues surfaced and one segment of the industry had more influence than another within NCBA, to the point they influenced the information presented to the grassroots producers. This is where you get into the differences between the structure of NCBA and R-CALF, and it makes for two completely different organizations.

I have sat on the board of NCBA representing the Independent Cattlemen's Association of Texas and I am now on the Cattlemen's Beef Board. If me sitting down and discussing issues with NCBA members, its executive board, officers, or staff makes for a better cattle industry and keeps U.S. producers profitable, I'll be on the front row. R-CALF has tried to initiate dialogue with NCBA in the past, to no avail. We have also never passed on an opportunity to debate our positions with any stakeholders in the beef industry.

I do feel I can bridge the gap between R-CALF members and their concerns about the Beef Checkoff. There shouldn't be a gap there at all. Most of the gap has been a result of NCBA, its policies, and the fact that it is the lead contractor for the Checkoff. In fact, Leo and I are both working toward this effort and are going to initiate dialogue between our membership and CBB officers and staff on ways to improve the Checkoff at R-CALF's convention this January in Denver."

As a cattleman that knows Mr Kiker personally, I can tell you he is a straight shooter. What you see and hear is what you get..... Quite refreshing these days when NCBA position seems to be we will take under advisement.