New Pup

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
This is Patty. She is my new cow dog pup. She is half Idaho Shag and half Border Collie. When she is being good we will know her as Peppermint Patty. When she is being a little turd we will call her Cow Patty. About 2 weeks after we had to put my Bear dog down my neighbor came over with this puppy to introduce her to me. He never said a word about me taking her. He just knew I needed a companion dog and this was one that wasn't spoken for in a litter he had. This dog will be tough. When her mother was 8 months old his Border Collies put a bear up a tree. The 8 month old pup was climbing the tree trying to bite the bear. An aunt to this pup got hit full on by a train about a month ago. The train was doing about 35 mph. Dog went flying through the air. Didn't hurt the dog a bit. We have yet to hear on the condition of the train. Them Idaho Shags are tough dogs. Absolutely loyal and certainly not afraid to take hold of a cow.

Attachments

• P4092461.JPG
    P4092461.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 12
This is Patty. She is my new cow dog pup. She is half Idaho Shag and half Border Collie. When she is being good we will know her as Peppermint Patty....
I think we all know that regardless, we love our dogs. My mid-80's mother still refers to my age and history by the dogs I had as a kid and a teen.

Congrats on Patty and sorry for the loss of your old friend Bear. No matter how tough, teach Patty that trains really cannot be herded so she stays out of their way;):D Y'all need to grow old together!!!!
Train tracks run through that neighbor's ranch. It is over 3 miles from here. We only average about one car an hour on the road and it is 1/4 of a mile out the driveway to the road. So for now I think she is safe from getting run over. Right now she is in a big dog carrier in the garage (her night headquarters). I think her howling will call in every coyote from miles around. First night at a new home is tough on a puppy.

I got Dog Wrestle-mania to halt long enough to take their picture. When Rufus was a pup she would harass old Bear but never bite her. Patty feels no such restriction. She all the time walks around with a big mouth full of Rufus hair in her mouth. Patty is now just about 4 months old. I wonder is she is ever going to grow into those ears.

Attachments

• P6092564.JPG
    P6092564.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 6
I got Dog Wrestle-mania to halt long enough to take their picture. When Rufus was a pup she would harass old Bear but never bite her. Patty feels no such restriction. She all the time walks around with a big mouth full of Rufus hair in her mouth. Patty is now just about 4 months old. I wonder is she is ever going to grow into those ears.
Good looking dogs. We have a Border Collie Heeler mix with ears like that. He was born with a head and ears out of proportion to the rest of his body. He grew out of that but not to his ears.

How is Patty doing? Or should I ask how you are doing with Patty????
Patty is doing fine. Still enough of a puppy that attention span and distractions are an issue. But she is coming along. She will sure get after a cow at the ripe old age of 3 1/2 months. That is great but we do need to get some control on her while doing that. One of those things to be worked on. It is a lot easier to get control of that than it is to get one with no desire to work a cow.

Latest posts