new project-pics added

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
We've wanted to do this for quite awhile, finally making it happen. A new shop/storage building is going up. When it's done, we should be able to put everything under shelter and make room in the garage to actually park my car in there this winter. :banana: Here is the first 2 days progress. All the holes for the posts had to be dug by hand.

new_shop_frraming.jpg

Are those collums 6x6, and how long were they and how deep in the ground. Did you cement them in the ground. How many square feet of floor space. I am planning on building soon so I will be watching. Please post more pictures during construction.
Tom

Yes, they are 6 X 6 and treated. They are in the ground a little over 3 feet. The side posts are 18-footers, the middle ends were 20. They WILL be concreted in but the roof trusses go on first. (That's why the braces are still there.) It's already stiff and sturdy, they had to climb all over it to finish the runners and headers. There will be 1,440 square feet of floor space; this building is 30 X 48 X 14.

The trusses will be delivered tomorrow but it's supposed to rain. :( I will take more pics and post as it goes along.

TexasBred":246ivmpb said:
I can tell you already that it ain't gonna be big enough....(they never are) :lol2:

Yeah, you are so right, we're already realizing that. Our son came down to help out, and he staked out "his" area. He doesn't have a garage at his house so he is claiming a corner of this one.

Fundamental Law of the Universe: Junk expands to fill the available space. Your shop looks great.... but unless you are very careful it will be full before completion. Mine was.

Had to devise a truss-picker-upper, TPU for short, to get the trusses lifted up high enough to attach.
TPU_extended.jpg

Between rain, having to remove and re-string 50 feet of barb wire fence, plus having to weld an extension onto the TPU because it wasn't q u i t e tall enough, only 2 trusses were installed today. Rain forecast for tomorrow, probably won't be able to do any more until Saturday.....
shop_first_trusses.jpg

kerley":2xmlshmk said:
Looks like you are progressing well. How far are you spacing your trusses.
Tom.
We are spacing them every 4 ft. That is somewhat overkill, supposedly those trusses could go every 8 feet and carry the load. But the 2 x 4 runners would have a lot of flex to them if they were spanning 8 feet, so we went this way.

After a couple days delay due to rain and having to fix the skid loader, some progress was finally made on Saturday.
setting_truss.jpg

The last truss is set. :clap:
last_truss.jpg

We're still at it.
Put the granddaughter to work "sweeping" up dropped screws before the cows ingest them. They go a long ways from that high up. She did a good job!
Kaylasweeping.jpg

Had to cut the sheets for the roof. This cutter is an awesome tool. It slices and dices them faster and easier than any power tool.
cutter.jpg

I don't think this technique for putting the walk-boards in postion is OSHA approved.
donttellosha.jpg

Putting on the first side of the roof...
rooffirsthalf.jpg

One side done, just as we were running out of daylight.
roof_onesidedone.jpg

The roof is on and the back wall is done except for trim.
backwall.jpg

You have made good progress. Are you going to concrete the floor ? Looks like a good clean job, someone knows what they are doing.
Tom.

Latest posts