New place of employment.

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king

Reaction score
Got a new winter job at my Sister's Farther-in-law's new wean-to-finish hog barn. Got 5764 weaned pigs in there right now, wish I could take pictures of the inside to show you the cute little pigs.
Maybe I will make enough money working here to upgrade my cardboard box house to a double wide. :mrgreen:

006.JPG

hooknline":2rohrp5q said:
That's a lot of hams and bacon and butts. Hook a brother up!
You will have to pay shipping, and wait about 6 months.

denvermartinfarms":2rohrp5q said:
I'd rather have the same thing with 5764 baby Holsteins. If I get it started do you want a managerial position?
I don't know, 10 pound pigs are pretty easy to give shots to, and can carry two in each hand. :lol2:

sim.-ang.king":1o1vdm53 said:
hooknline":1o1vdm53 said:

denvermartinfarms":1o1vdm53 said:
I'd rather have the same thing with 5764 baby Holsteins. If I get it started do you want a managerial position?
I don't know, 10 pound pigs are pretty easy to give shots to, and can carry two in each hand. :lol2:
If that's the only stipulation count me in for 5760 pairs of hams, butts and bellies. You can keep 4 for yourself.

hooknline":2ap8i4ac said:
sim.-ang.king":2ap8i4ac said:
hooknline":2ap8i4ac said:

denvermartinfarms":2ap8i4ac said:
If that's the only stipulation count me in for 5760 pairs of hams, butts and bellies. You can keep 4 for yourself.
Maschhoffs' might have a few other charges.

hooknline":1pkw8zvc said:

Go get a couple of pigs and put them in a tow sack over your shoulder and carry them a couple of miles they will be ready to slaughter.
At least the two my grandma sent me after were. By the time I toted those two pigs a couple of miles to the house they were ready for the smokehouse when I got to grandmas as far as I was concerned.

Let me help you out here Sim.

Hook, what he said was, "If you want your hams, and bacon and butts, you can keep them" You will need to purchase it from the market now, but the market won't be open for another 6 months, and there will be cost of shipping figured in the price. But it is a good product, you have his word. You don't want substandard private market hams, butts and bacon.

Sim, you might be even able to afford a mansion if you work out an arrangement with local farmer's promising to keep the pigs penned rather than turning them loose on their land for a small monthly fee which would be just a few bucks more than what their cell phone bill is each month.

We had about 150 sows when I was kid as best as I remember. Went farrow to finish. I never had a love for hogs like I do cattle. I'm sure this old boy has a contract, and knows what he's getting in to. It was hit and miss, back in the day.

Jogeephus":yxq4hp8r said:
Sim, you might be even able to afford a mansion if you work out an arrangement with local farmer's promising to keep the pigs penned rather than turning them loose on their land for a small monthly fee which would be just a few bucks more than what their cell phone bill is each month.
I need to read up on how the Romans worked their tribute system. :lol2:

shaz":yxq4hp8r said:
Those new hog barns are super efficient aren't they?
They are pretty efficient, but right now we are burning quite a bit of gas to heat it, since their not very big, and to run the gas brooders.

Bigfoot":yxq4hp8r said:
We had about 150 sows when I was kid as best as I remember. Went farrow to finish. I never had a love for hogs like I do cattle. I'm sure this old boy has a contract, and knows what he's getting in to. It was hit and miss, back in the day.
150 sows would be quite a job, glad i'm only having to check feed, and give shots.

sim.-ang.king said:
Got a new winter job at my Sister's Farther-in-law's new wean-to-finish hog barn. Got 5764 weaned pigs in there right now, wish I could take pictures of the inside to show you the cute little pigs.
Maybe I will make enough money working here to upgrade my cardboard box house to a double wide. :mrgreen:

Sim you might ought to look into "Show Pigs". Visited with a fellow last week that has about 150 sows. He sells show pigs. Figure about a thousand of those little rascals from $300 up to $1000 each and it's a pretty darn good living.

Latest posts