New pics of the new bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Picked the new fella up yesterday from a dealer a few miles away.

Birthweight: 94 lbs
Weaning weight: 570 lbs
Current weight: 1740 lbs
Scrotal: 41 cm
Pelvic area: 255 square cm.

P1010006.jpg

P1010009-1.jpg

dang he dont look that heavy in the pictures but he is long. gonna make a big outfit like his rear better in these pictures than i thought i would. nice bull.

he looks kind of rough (not bad, just in a wintery way). i'd like to see him in the summertime if y'all have that in canada.

Nice bull. good scrotal size, nice long body, thick rear end. Glad to see your not afraid of his BW what kind of cattle are you putting him on?

S.R.R.":vyt2mvw4 said:
Nice bull. good scrotal size, nice long body, thick rear end. Glad to see your not afraid of his BW what kind of cattle are you putting him on?

We will be running him with purebred and straightbred Herefords. The range of birth weights on our calves is 80-105 lbs, with most being in the 90-95 lb. range. I don't like calves outside that range. Big calves are dumb and need to much help with everything, and small calves don't have the spunk to keep going if the aren't born in the best of conditions.

*Cowgirl*":2klh4udn said:
Looks good. I agree with you alacowman, he doesn't look that heavy. Got any EPDs?

EPD's are pretty pathetic.
BW- 3.9
WW-23.9
YW-40.7
Milk - 5.9
Tmat - 17.9
SC - 0.3

Previous owners run 700+ cows and don't have time to worry about things like weight reporting and EPD's. Further back in his pedigree, the EPD's average about 5 to 6 for birth, high 30's for weaning, and mid 60's for yearling.

Aaron":2b7rjpl2 said:
.... and small calves don't have the spunk to keep going if the aren't born in the best of conditions...

Our Angus calves weigh between 70-90 lbs at birth and they get up and nurse.

Aaron":3uz6sd28 said:
*Cowgirl*":3uz6sd28 said:
Looks good. I agree with you alacowman, he doesn't look that heavy. Got any EPDs?

EPD's are pretty pathetic.
BW- 3.9
WW-23.9
YW-40.7
Milk - 5.9
Tmat - 17.9
SC - 0.3

Previous owners run 700+ cows and don't have time to worry about things like weight reporting and EPD's. Further back in his pedigree, the EPD's average about 5 to 6 for birth, high 30's for weaning, and mid 60's for yearling.

Guess I'm confused. If they don't report weights, how does this animal have any EPDs?

Any animal that is registered with the Canadian Hereford Association will have EPD's, but they will be based on the EPD's of their dam and their sire if they don't report, and they don't have high accuracies. This guy has low EPD's and Pedigree Estimates for accuracies.