New pics from South Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

you can easily tighten the sheaths of your herd. Sure it takes time, but it can be done.

Also, I realize gerts have a lot of sloppy animals. Doesn't mean that is all that is out there, or that you have to use them.

Another tidbit...Beefmasters WILL be more likely than a gert to carry more Brahman genetics. They are 1/2 Brahman blood while all other hybrid breeds are 3/8.

The first one's navel is good. The other aren't exceptionally loose, but they all seem to have a bell shape. We have found that cows with a bell shape navel is more likely to throw a bull with a lot of hang down.

Ultimately, if you must have hangbown, make sure the prepuce stays concealed in the sheath and doesn't hang out. This is true of all breeds, Brahman influence or not. I will never buy a bull that has a lazy prepuce.

Personally, I think excessive skin has more to do with the Shorthorn x Brahman cross than just Brahman.

It's no coincidence that out of the half dozen or so registered Brahman cross breeds, Gert and Beefmaster have always had the reputation for most skin.

Third Row":n4lzazif said:
Personally, I think excessive skin has more to do with the Shorthorn x Brahman cross than just Brahman.

It's no coincidence that out of the half dozen or so registered Brahman cross breeds, Gert and Beefmaster have always had the reputation for most skin.
could be.. my braford's and simbrahs aint got no where near the leather my beefmaster's do their legs look like grandmaw's ol loose stock'ins