new pic, curious

Help Support CattleToday:

Toby L.

Reaction score
43630225.JPG

43630227.JPG

I was just curious as to why this cow bigger on the right side. 2 weeks ago she was shaped like this () but bigger, then I noticed the left side flattened out while the right side sank a little and grew bigger. If she is preg. then she would've been bred by her own bull calf which died of bloat when he was around 6 months old. I haven't changed her diet any, and I'm not going to get her preg checked. I was just wondering what's going on with her, I've seen them change like this in the past and was just wondering if anyone could give me some insight on this.

Angus Cowman":1brmvgjl said:
if she had a 6 month old calf that died why isn't she bred she should have been bred when that calf was 2 -4 months old or she would have been down the rode
Poor herdsmanship, I didn't have a bull to breed her with, her bull calf died in the begining of june, so if she was bred at that time she would be due march 10th. I had a bad summer, I'm not going to get into details.

Toby L.":356uqeyo said:
Angus Cowman":356uqeyo said:
if she had a 6 month old calf that died why isn't she bred she should have been bred when that calf was 2 -4 months old or she would have been down the rode
Poor herdsmanship, I didn't have a bull to breed her with, her bull calf died in the begining of june, so if she was bred at that time she would be due march 10th. I had a bad summer, I'm not going to get into details.
I could be wrong (It has happened before), but she looks bred to me. I understand having a bad summer, things happen for sure. What I don't understand is why she is still there if she isn't bred, and/or bred to her own son. Waste of feed. Perhaps you have your reasons, but it sure wouldn't work here. Good lookin baldy though, looks like she works for a livin!

On a hope and a prayer, I hope there all bred by that bull calf or another one that was younger than the one that died. I only have the 4 original cows, plus I bought a bred one last fall, she is due at the end of march. I couldn't afford to by a bull and couldn't find anyone around here to rent me one. ( that's part of the last summer thing). The bull calf I have now is 8 months old and it's getting to late to breed anything now, I don't want to be having calves in the winter. So I'm either going to sell him or band him, he's related and I don't want to get into that situation, but if he has bred any of them I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'm going to preg. cheak all of them in April and if their open I'll pick up a bull. I should be able to afford a decent bull by then, and get back on track with everything. It's just hard sometimes trying to build a herd up pinching pennies, and having a monkey wrench get thrown into it and screwing everything up. I install drywall for a living, and sometimes things get slow, so I have to fall back on the cows and sell a few. The future around here is looking dim for new house construction and I've been able to make it so far, but you never know, things could get better, or things could get worse. There suppose to be building a new steel mill up here, that would help the community all the way around, but their dragging their feet in the construction of it. And I'm wondering if it will ever be built.

4 cows, no bull......I bet somebody visited somebody, somewhere, some how. If four cows had been runnin' around bullin' for that long, your fences would have holes and your cows would be gone....to find a boyfriend, at least mine would.

You might be pinching pennies, but she looks like she is eating well! She could be bred...we had a 5 month old breed quite a few of our cows-we took him out at 5 1/2 months and sold him, but we got quite a surprise nine months later-8 calves! We knew it must have been him because there are no other bulls in range of our farm. The bad thing is the Angus Assoc. won't register any of the calves because they say the bull was too young to breed, so we sent them all to the auction a few weeks ago.

I bet the next thing will be me complaining because my cows are popping calves out when it's 20 below :)
I made a promise to myself to band the bull cavles when their 1 week old. But maybe it was a blessing that I didn't do that last spring, I'll keep eveyone updated.

The chance of your cows being bred by a six month old bull in reality is VERY slim.

Your cows are in good shape, you should have sold them before feeding hay and sold the hay.

OK, that being said. Your fleshy cows will bring top kill cow price. Good bred cows are selling just slightly above kill price. I would sell your open cows and buy 3-4 bred ones to calve March or April. I wouldn't keep feeding those open cows. IMO.

I'm just in it as a hobby farm, I really don't think there is any real profit it. If there not bred there not bred, nothing I can do about it now. If I was going to load them up and take them to a sale barn, there would be no way in hell I'm going to pick up anymore. If I were in it only for the money I would've sold those cows a long time ago, along with the hayburner horses I have. I could sell the hay and make more, plus I wouldn't have to take care of them all winter long.

Instead of waiting until April to preg check, preg check now if you have the $. If they are open, decrease the protien they are getting because they are in too good of shape and might not re breed on time next season.

rockridgecattle":24yyoefo said:
Instead of waiting until April to preg check, preg check now if you have the $. If they are open, decrease the protien they are getting because they are in too good of shape and might not re breed on time next season.
That makes sence, thanks for the advise. I'll look into it, at least that way I would know. Wouldn't have to worry about it.

Latest posts