New PB Gelbvieh Bull!

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I've been wanting to share pictures of my new herd bull since I got him home and settled in. But, I'm sure you all know how hard it is to get decent pics! LOL. These aren't good but, the best I've got so far. Enjoy and don't hold back! I have thick skin! :hide: Thanks. B&G

PB Black Gelbvieh Bull. Homozygous Black, Double Polled Reg.# 1318945 I'm Planning on building Reg. Balancers with him and my Reg. Black Angus cows.

P.S. The blessed flies are already out here in KS! :oops:

southernultrablack":vyjk6d24 said:
Nice bull. I purchased a cow from their sale, going to pick her up this weekend. Can't hardly wait!

Congrats! She should do well for you! I own some of their balancer females nice cattle! There feet are as good as they get. Great people.
B&G

He seems to have good capacity, length, and bone structure. Overall, he appears to have a good phenotype. From an EPD standpoint, he is less desirable from breed average for: calving ease direct, calving ease maternal, birth weight, and meat quality. He has chart topping EPD's for growth characteristics. Unless you have plentiful grass, he will most likely have a negative impact on the body condition score of your cows by the time his calves reach weaning age due to the calves trying to manifest their growth potential. His calving ease in the 55th percentile so not problematic unless he is going to be used on small first-calf heifers. His low milk would fit well in dryer climates but may be a little low for areas of unlimited feed resources if you have what the rest of us want in that regard. If you are looking to retain heifers, his female progeny may tend to be larger frame sizes to accommodate those higher birth and growth EPD's.

He is still a low accuracy bull and so are his parents from an EPD standpoint. Therefore, he may change for the better or worse from that aspect. Gelbvieh are known for their maternal and terminal aspects. This bull leans more towards the terminal side. His low total maternal EPD also reflects this.

I would say he is good looking enough to give a try on mature cows that can provide the milk for those explosive growth calves. You will need good discernment in selecting retained heifers.

Good luck,
Mr. Greenjeans

Latest posts