New Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
We just got 15 acres of pasture. It has a lot of young trees and brush that we are working on.
It has some open spots and trails that need to be planted with better grasses.
What are some grasses that we should plant?
After we clean up the trees and brush(it might take some time) we want to make it in to hay field.
Thanks for your help Jeff

I'm a fan of the newer orchard grasses myself.....but it takes good grazing management. Likes semi shady spots it seems on my place.

Combos of Timothy, Aliske clover, orchard grass, Alfalfa, Birdsfoot Treefoil, are what we have planted for hay fields in northern Mn. We usually do a cover crop of oats the first year too.

Thanks for the info
Yes I live in Minnesota. east central part of the state.
What is the newer orchard grasses? I have planted Timothy Birdsfoot trefoil and orchard grass. But my soil test shows that I have a very high ph. So I have to put a lot of lime to make anything to grow.
Thanks againJeff

ClinchValley":260bzng0 said:
Does sulfur lower soil ph

Feel like I've read that somewhere.

S forms acids in some compounds and thus the acids may bring down pH. So in general - yes.

Timothy and orchard are what we have in SE MN and we use graze on so no clover but plenty of red and white around in other pastures.

Sorry I had put that my ph was high but I ment that it is low....it is 4.01 to 4.58
Thanks and sorry Jeff

JeffK-MN":36rxwx76 said:
After we clean up the trees and brush(it might take some time) we want to make it in to hay field.

Don't plant grass:

1) Plant fence posts for cross fencing
2) Spread lime
3) Bale graze
4) Spread clover seed

Thanks Steve I have already put in a cross fence and started to make the trails wider to get tractors down.
Jeff

Stocker Steve":11uoqd63 said:
JeffK-MN":11uoqd63 said:

Don't plant grass:

1) Plant fence posts for cross fencing
2) Spread lime
3) Bale graze
4) Spread clover seed
GREAT ANSWER!!!!

spread lime and lots of it.

i do'nt like bale grazing, i like unrolling the hay

Latest posts