New Pasture...what should I plant?

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
I am 50 miles south of Kansas City, KS. I purchased 20 acres of property last fall which had been part of a crop farm (It was in soy beans). I want to get started on some pasture for beef cattle. I would like to use MIG and have been in contact with my local extension agent.

He suggests I plant it all in endophyte-free fescue. I have read good and bad things about this seed and wanted to get some other feedback. I would like to establish a pasture that doesn't have to be replanted every other year as I don't own my own equipment.

Thank you in advance for you input.

the new arkplus fescue is real good with ladino clover. it stil has the endophyte to keep it strong as old 31, but it doesn't bother cattle

jhambley":1q6bw7i0 said:
I am 50 miles south of Kansas City, KS. I purchased 20 acres of property last fall which had been part of a crop farm (It was in soy beans). I want to get started on some pasture for beef cattle. I would like to use MIG and have been in contact with my local extension agent.

He suggests I plant it all in endophyte-free fescue. I have read good and bad things about this seed and wanted to get some other feedback. I would like to establish a pasture that doesn't have to be replanted every other year as I don't own my own equipment.

Thank you in advance for you input.
Your Extension Agent and Jerry have both given you great advice. I would take it.

Latest posts