New Pasture Tool

Help Support CattleToday:

it depends on how far down you go, 12" or so, I think 25 would do it, I sink it in as far as she'll go in good ground, and it's all that tractor can do in 1st low to pull it on level ground, and with old sod it won't do it... I should take a picture of the rock I pulled out too! (about 3' around).

If you don't have the feet on it, 25 hp should do it OK.. the feet do take big power, but make a huge difference in the effectiveness as well, you can just see the ground lift about 4" as you go along... However, I wouldn't recommend it for pasture you want to drive over, they do make it rough

with 1 shank you could... we have a single shank ripper and we pulled it with an old fiat-cockshutt 40Hp... draft control is of particular inportance on an under powered tractor as it'll go just as deep as you can pull it

I haven't tried pulling it with theIH 684.. You know this ripper is made for serious power though, it's got a Category 3 hitch on it, which is for 100+ hp... Ours got modified, I think it was originally a single shank, and someone added to it, they did a good job too... I know nothing we have is going to break it, though I did pop a shear bolt on it once

Nesikep":rb7ppz24 said:
with 1 shank you could... we have a single shank ripper and we pulled it with an old fiat-cockshutt 40Hp... draft control is of particular inportance on an under powered tractor as it'll go just as deep as you can pull it

I haven't tried pulling it with theIH 684.. You know this ripper is made for serious power though, it's got a Category 3 hitch on it, which is for 100+ hp... Ours got modified, I think it was originally a single shank, and someone added to it, they did a good job too... I know nothing we have is going to break it, though I did pop a shear bolt on it once

:lol2: I was just teasing if you saw that video i posted of my friend using a single bottom plow and the 8n I wouldnt even attempt to hook that behind it with 1 shank.

There are 2 bottom plows, and then there are 2 bottom plows... We had a little 12" JD peice of crapola 2 bottom plow that we pretzeled the standards on several times with a JD 950 28HP tractor, Now we have a 2 bottom Kvernland rollover, and it's all the IH 684 can do to keep it's front end on the ground to lift it, and that's with a 500lb front weight. Driving along in 2nd high, you can pin the throttle and the front end lifts. On the County, the front end stays down but you have to rev it up to get it to lift. It can be adjusted from 12 to 20" I think, and you can add more bottoms to it, if you think you can lift it. Our single shank ripper is light, and would work behind an 8N... No, I didn't see the video, I can't watch videos from here :(

I was just curious about the horsepower to see what others had found. I have a 5-shank and hooked it to a 90 hp tractor and it shut it down. I hooked it to a 120 hp tractor and it was all the tractor wanted and starting it off set in the ground was not the best thing on the tractor but if you dropped it on the go it would strain but do alright.

I was breaking up ground with my 10 shank chisel plow that hadn't been broke up I'm 20 years probably my jd 4020 did OK if didn't drop it all the way down went back got the JD 8410 didn't know it was back there. :lol:

Use one of those on sandy wheat ground and then spray kill the vegetation. Opens up the hard pan, allows moisture to not run off and then the vegetation on top prevents wind and water erosion.
Win-Win deal. Sucks to drive back over it though.

Jogeephus":1xrzt4xf said:
While you are at it, you could cut a half inch hole in the bottom of the middle shank so you can attach a length of chain to it. With that option, the next time you need to run some pvc pipe or some wire you can attach the chain to the shank and the pipe or wire to that and pull it through the dirt. I laid out a quarter mile of pipe with essentially the same setup in one afternoon.

I'd like to hang out with you for a day and watch your wheels turn. That is a great idea to lay a line.

Latest posts