New Pasture Help

Help Support CattleToday:

triplejbarnes

Reaction score
I live in central South Carolina and is getting ready to plant grass in a new pasture. Currently the land has been bulldozed and is being prepped for planting. My other pastures have a mixture of fescue, tifton 9 biaha and white clover. I am planning on using tifton 9 in the new pasture, but I am also looking at other grasses to plant to provide a good mixture for year round grazing. The soil is mostly red clay and will need alot of work to prepair for planting. I am wanting suggestions on other grasses used in this area that will provide good forage for cattle. I am currently not in favor of fescue due to the bad droughts we have been experiencing. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Orchard grass. Grows on any soil, handles droughts well, lives long, and answers well to nitro potassium and forphor. It will produce a lot, thereby producing much cattle dung and build the soil.

triplejbarnes":20raqej1 said:
I live in central South Carolina and is getting ready to plant grass in a new pasture. Currently the land has been bulldozed and is being prepped for planting. My other pastures have a mixture of fescue, tifton 9 biaha and white clover. I am planning on using tifton 9 in the new pasture, but I am also looking at other grasses to plant to provide a good mixture for year round grazing. The soil is mostly red clay and will need alot of work to prepair for planting. I am wanting suggestions on other grasses used in this area that will provide good forage for cattle. I am currently not in favor of fescue due to the bad droughts we have been experiencing. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

I only wish I could grow fescue here. That said, here is a link to a site that you may find some helpful information on year round grazing. This fella is not far from you and a lot of what works for him should work for you.

http://www.southernsare.uga.edu/twelve/ ... ml#forages

triplejbarnes":2faraqys said:

Don't waste your time and money with permanent pasture ---
Tiff leaf 3 Millet---- Plant April Graze May 15th to October 1
Wrens Abruzzi Rye --- Plant Oct 10th and Graze Thanksgiving to March 31.
He77 of a lot cheaper --more forage - done........
Ed

edrsimms":2picxohr said:
triplejbarnes":2picxohr said:

Ed
That's my way---Hope it works for you !1 Good Luck !! :tiphat:

talldog":1zt0ufdq said:
edrsimms":1zt0ufdq said:
triplejbarnes":1zt0ufdq said:

Ed
That's my way---Hope it works for you !1 Good Luck !! :tiphat:

This probably is more economical in the short term. Highly debateable long term. I think a combination of permanent and seasonally planted forages is best if you're going to have cows year round.

Agree with GA. Annuals may be best to start off with, but I would eventually want about 50% cool-season perennials, 25% warm season annuals/perennials, and 25% winter annuals, or somewhere around that.

brandonm_13":3dsfzae2 said:
Agree with GA. Annuals may be best to start off with, but I would eventually want about 50% cool-season perennials, 25% warm season annuals/perennials, and 25% winter annuals, or somewhere around that.

I don't agree with GA prime or Brandonm_13 at all. The guy asking about pastures is below the piedmont in SC and hopefully not into the fescue belt as a whole as only God can help him if he is.
Permananet pasture requires more Fertilizer, Lime, weed eradication, pesticides, and $$ and does a less economical job in producing beef. No-tilling winter annuals into permanent pastures represents a MUCH lower forage base. This same guy wanted to put white clover in his pastures in Feb.

Winter and summer annuals will provide 10 times the grazing of either one of the other suggestions and you will use a third of the fertilizer, no herbicides, no pesticides, as aeration of the soil is a key factor in optimum forage production around Newberry SC.

Humans aren't really herd animals--------- don't run with the herd
Ed

edrsimms":1ho7c99k said:
I don't agree with GA prime or Brandonm_13 at all. The guy asking about pastures is below the piedmont in SC and hopefully not into the fescue belt as a whole as only God can help him if he is.
Permananet pasture requires more Fertilizer, Lime, weed eradication, pesticides, and $$ and does a less economical job in producing beef. No-tilling winter annuals into permanent pastures represents a MUCH lower forage base. This same guy wanted to put white clover in his pastures in Feb.

Ed
How do you figure less fertilizer, lime and weed eradication. In my poor old sands, little grows unless you feed it.

How do you figure less fertilizer, lime and weed eradication. In my poor old sands, little grows unless you feed it.

The discussion is about SC not NE Texas- but if I had to guess knowing the area of NE Texas fairly well myself-- I bet you have neglected you poor old sand
What is your pH?

edrsimms":vewfg3gp said:

I always thought Prosperity SC was in the Piedmont and not in the sand hills or the coastal plain. Learn something new everyday.

triplejbarnes":vewfg3gp said:
The soil is mostly red clay and will need alot of work to prepair for planting. I am wanting suggestions on other grasses used in this area that will provide good forage for cattle. I am currently not in favor of fescue due to the bad droughts

Jogeephus":38v9a9ge said:
edrsimms":38v9a9ge said:

triplejbarnes":38v9a9ge said:
The soil is mostly red clay and will need alot of work to prepair for planting. I am wanting suggestions on other grasses used in this area that will provide good forage for cattle. I am currently not in favor of fescue due to the bad droughts

Jogee there are a lot of places that have red clay that are not in the piedmont, you need to get out more.
See in hard clay country (you wouldn't know this because of the sandy swamp you are in where you wouldn't know compaction if it hit you in the face) permanent pasture doesn't work that well due to compaction. (knowing Newberry as I do, there is not too much slope) so Winter and summer annuals would work best and be cheaper to grow throughout a 12 month period.

Jogee you need to just go back to your beggarweed, cucklebur, pigweed, dog fennel, crowsfoot grass and your bahia grass stand and leave this to those who really know and not just think they know.
back under your rock -- you Non-traditional rancher/ liberal----
Ed

edrsimms":3ulz6p1s said:
Jogee you need to just go back to your beggarweed, cucklebur, pigweed, dog fennel, crowsfoot grass and your bahia grass stand and leave this to those who really know and not just think they know.
Ed

Ed, that sounds a lot like a personal attack. I thought you were just a "facts" kind of guy.

john250":z3wx9o0b said:
edrsimms":z3wx9o0b said:
Ed

Ed, that sounds a lot like a personal attack. I thought you were just a "facts" kind of guy.

I had no idea asses grew this big. I bet this turd ain't 5'4" tall.....small man syndrome. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Now MR. Ed, don't go getting your panties all in a wad I was just pointing out the fact that he said he did not want to plant fescue and the fact that he had clay soils which would indicate to me that he is above the coastal plain. But I agree, there can be exceptions. Except of course to anything you say of course. :tiphat: Matter of fact, I own some land just north of Prosperity and last time I checked it was in the piedmont. Or I think it was.

But checking in on the town of Newberry, even they seemed as confused as I am.

Newberry County, Laurens County and Greenwood County in the Central Piedmont region of Upstate South Carolina.
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=is+Newberry+co ... ate.com%2F

But what do they know. So I checked a few maps as well and even they are messed all up.

http://placesofvalue.com/wp-content/upl ... 00x258.jpg

http://scaquarium.org/curriculum/iexplo ... _small.gif

So I really don't know what to think but I do hope you will go and talk to all these people and get them straightened out. Heck, when I grow up I hope to have an operation as unbelievable as you do.

Jogeephus":20ufrolt said:
Now MR. Ed, don't go getting your panties all in a wad I was just pointing out the fact that he said he did not want to plant fescue and the fact that he had clay soils which would indicate to me that he is above the coastal plain. But I agree, there can be exceptions. Except of course to anything you say of course. :tiphat: Matter of fact, I own some land just north of Prosperity and last time I checked it was in the piedmont. Or I think it was.

Newberry County, Laurens County and Greenwood County in the Central Piedmont region of Upstate South Carolina.

But what do they know. So I checked a few maps as well and even they are messed all up.

So I really don't know what to think but I do hope you will go and talk to all these people and get them straightened out. Heck, when I grow up I hope to have an operation as unbelievable as you do.

Well at least you have a lot of company to be wrong with :lol2:

jedstivers":3f67ns50 said:
Jogeephus":3f67ns50 said:

Well at least you have a lot of company to be wrong with :lol2:
Jed you need to take all them crop acres and fence it off so you can start raising more grass fed cows cause in a few yrs nobody will be buying your crops to feed cows cause they are all gonna be grass fed so you better get a jump on this

jedstivers":11fu4fzn said:
We sure could grow some millet and crabgrass under those pivots. How many head you think we could run per acre? It should be a lot.
I think we could run at least 4000 momma cows easy
we might even be able to keep Ms Jed and Ms AC busy tagging and working calves
at least it would be a start on keeping them out of trouble :lol: :lol:

Angus Cowman":3g6xau7s said:
jedstivers":3g6xau7s said:
We sure could grow some millet and crabgrass under those pivots. How many head you think we could run per acre? It should be a lot.
I think we could run at least 4000 momma cows easy
we might even be able to keep Ms Jed and Ms AC busy tagging and working calves
at least it would be a start on keeping them out of trouble :lol: :lol:

The two of them together, ha. Nothin but trouble.

Latest posts