New pasture ground?

Help Support CattleToday:

Can you not dump it in the brush on either side instead of all the way through the good ground? Some local guys I know did a whole farm couple years ago. They said it cost 900 a acre, but it was all done with a gps by professional tile company. Friend of mine did a 30 acre bottom last year himself, he owns a ditch witch. Not sure what he spent both are happy.

littletom":b3ocwxrn said:
Can you not dump it in the brush on either side instead of all the way through the good ground? Some local guys I know did a whole farm couple years ago. They said it cost 900 a acre, but it was all done with a gps by professional tile company. Friend of mine did a 30 acre bottom last year himself, he owns a ditch witch. Not sure what he spent both are happy.
Unfortunately I can't. The water comes from the topside and drains across be into a swampy area on the bottom side! I'm kinda stuck in the middle I guess.

southernultrablack":2cfek1uc said:
Got a quote to put in a 4" drainage tile for 1.35 per foot. If I run a route similar to the one in the pic it will cost me about $2,000. I really need more than the one run, but it's a start!
I know nothing about Alabama ground or local conditions, common local practices ect. but...
How much more would it cost to go with 6" tile?
We used 6" and 8" and wished we had gone 8" in a couple more areas than we did.
But I'm sure we are talking totally different situations here with longer and deeper runs.

Son of Butch":2whq20u2 said:
southernultrablack":2whq20u2 said:
Got a quote to put in a 4" drainage tile for 1.35 per foot. If I run a route similar to the one in the pic it will cost me about $2,000. I really need more than the one run, but it's a start!
I know nothing about Alabama ground or local conditions, common local practices ect. but...
How much more would it cost to go with 6" tile?
We used 6" and 8" and wished we had gone 8" in a couple more areas than we did.
But I'm sure we are talking totally different situations here with longer and deeper runs.
SOB, 6" tile was an option. I think it increased price from 1.35 to 1.50-1.65. This will be installed with a gps guided tile plow. I may have to give the 6" tile more consideration since I'm only doing one run.

6" tile can handle twice as much water flow as 4" (most see 4 vs 6 and come up with wrong answer of 1/3 difference)
IF I were doing it... $2,000 for 4" vs $2,500 for 6" I'd very strongly lean towards 6"

Just another thought I had some wetter areas that I started grazing and with rotational grazing or mob grazing those areas the grass was growing and I developed good matter build up and Heather soil in return the grass used that extra water and turned out to be not such a problem. Not sure how you graze but maybe fence that area off and push it a little harder to keep that grass constantly growing. Just a thought I guess.