New pair, Rib Eye calf pics (Updated)

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Daughter's ex-show heifer calved this past week. She is a P606 grand daughter out of Top Secret. She was AI'd to Rib Eye. Thought I would share as I seen several people talking about Rib Eye. Heifer is 25 months old and the bull calf is 5 days.

P1030045.jpg

P1030056.jpg

P1030039.jpg

Very nice functional heifer, please keep us updated with picsof the calf. Does the calf have full pigment, I can see some pigment, but not sure how much on the other eye?

KNERSIE":2hfzmlf6 said:
Very nice functional heifer, please keep us updated with picsof the calf. Does the calf have full pigment, I can see some pigment, but not sure how much on the other eye?

Here are a couple more pics of the calf's eyes, sorry if they're not that clear.

P1030071.jpg

P1030037.jpg

sooknortex":2ham9ln2 said:
I really like the looks of the heifer.

Not so fond of the calf.

I will temper my enthusiasm for the heifer in saying that being a show heifer she was probably feed pretty good. I'd like to see what she looks like in a couple of years under "pasture only" management.

We don't push her show calves like others do. Heifer was on pretty much grass only since July, got a little feed occasionally to call up the herd, except for the last couple weeks when she went into our calving pasture were we feed just a couple pounds a day per head just to get them to come up so we can check them.

I also like the heifer and would like to see how your bull calf developes. It's nice to see stock from bull in my tank. I have both Rib Eye and Top Secrect... pretty happy with the way your Top Secrect daughter looks.

Thanks for the pics,
Alan

Thought I would post how this calf did. Weaned at 495 at 202 day. ADG of 2 # per day with no creeep. Maybe she will improve with the 2nd calf. Momma kept her condition pretty good. We made a steer out of him at about 3 months. They dock Herefords pretty good here, brought $.91.
P1030612.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3pnmp0p0 said:
Calf looks good - but that wouldn't quite pay the dam's board around here. We look at about $470/yr/hd
Of course, being a fall calver and a 2-yr old, she did well.
Did you get her bred right back?
We exposed her about 2 months after calving, she has not been preg check but she is one that is usually noticed in heat very easy. Have not seen her in heat since right after exposure. She is with a Angus bull.