New Orleans Street Cars

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I just saw a video of the New Orleans street cars on Carrolton Ave. Anyone know how they are powered? There wasn;t the overhead cable (either mechanical or elctric) and I didn't see a third rail in the ground. What makes them go? They were pretty much silent but did run on rails.

TexasBred":1x2rkvws said:
dun when I google it everythign keeps referring to electric.....all pics show overhead lines.
2 of the lines show overhead lines but not the Carrolton Ave line. I did the same thing as you but didn;t see how that one line was powered

Notice the lowest picture on the link. No wire/cable? Although I think frisco is the only place that still uses the clamped cable system

I've been to new Orleans several times.. everything I've noticed was wire over head...ill have to check it out next time I'm there

JSCATTLE":2qys4nji said:
I've been to new Orleans several times.. everything I've noticed was wire over head...ill have to check it out next time I'm there
From the pictures it looks like that's the only line that doesn;t have the overhead. Seems like if they had a third rail that it would be dangerous. I thought maybe they just ran off of real serious batterys that got charged periodically.
Surely there some one from there on these forums that's seen them

Maybe this? It is being used more and more:
Maglev (derived from magnetic levitation), is a system of transportation that uses magnetic levitation to suspend, guide and propel vehicles from magnets rather than using mechanical methods, such as friction-reliant wheels, axles and bearings. Maglev transport is a means of flying a vehicle or object along a guideway by using magnets to create both lift and thrust, albeit only a few inches above the guideway surface. High-speed maglev vehicles are lifted off their guideway and thus move more smoothly, quietly and require less maintenance than wheeled mass transit systems – regardless of speed. This non-reliance on friction also means that acceleration and deceleration can far surpass that of existing forms of transport. The power needed for levitation is not a particularly large percentage of the overall energy consumption; most of the power used is needed to overcome air resistance (drag), as with any other high speed form of transport.

I was raised just outside of New Orleans. My understanding was that all the cars are
run on 600 VDC. Dont know for sure, I will ask dad as he worked downtown there for
bunches of years.

Dun, all street cars do run on 600VDC. Dont know why you did not see the pole.
Looks like I have a reason to go to Bourbon Street I mean Carrolton Ave and check
and see lol

I don;t see any wire:
s_streetcar_1.jpg

Greg":39uiew6s said:
Dun, all street cars do run on 600VDC. Dont know why you did not see the pole.
Looks like I have a reason to go to Bourbon Street I mean Carrolton Ave and check
and see lol
Seems like Greg's post should have settled the question.
That is unless he is incorrect. Then he gets boiled in oil. :lol:

Latest posts